Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2023, 11:16 AM - 8 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fuji GFX 50s vs 645z

I found this interesting. It wasn’t clearly biased and made me think.

icon/midnight/@menu

05-03-2023, 11:33 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A good read, offering reasons to own beyond just being MF. Thanks for the find,!
05-04-2023, 03:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Nice talk, although mostly subjective talk IMO.
Practically I don't see a lot of difference between K1 files and 51Mpixels MF files, plus FF files contain less false colors and process better through Topaz Sharpen AI. So I see 100Mpixel more rewarding against medium format limitations (speed, lens choices).
However, I would see a great benefit in buying a used 50S/50R/645z and converting it to black & white, because then all aliasing disappears, which would turn B&W images comparable to the ones made from the 102Mpixel color counterpart.
05-04-2023, 09:38 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great article, well balanced, thanks for sharing!
I found myself agreeing with most of his comments on the 645Z.

---------- Post added 05-04-23 at 12:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Practically I don't see a lot of difference between K1 files and 51Mpixels MF files,
Interesting perspective. From my viewpoint, the 645Z sensor is 1.7x the size of the K1, and the pixels are about 18% larger in the former, so will have more full well capacity.

I'm really interested if you could explain a bit about this next bit - your experience with false colors and Topaz Sharpen AI - I've thought about buying that software:
FF files contain less false colors and process better through Topaz Sharpen AI.

05-04-2023, 12:04 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice talk, although mostly subjective talk IMO.
Practically I don't see a lot of difference between K1 files and 51Mpixels MF files, plus FF files contain less false colors and process better through Topaz Sharpen AI. So I see 100Mpixel more rewarding against medium format limitations (speed, lens choices).
However, I would see a great benefit in buying a used 50S/50R/645z and converting it to black & white, because then all aliasing disappears, which would turn B&W images comparable to the ones made from the 102Mpixel color counterpart.

To my understanding the conversion of a RGB camera to monochrome only removes the bayer filter, it does not change the algorithm that interprets the bayer filter. The color interpretation process would still run, although the output will be monochrome. The quality of the monochrome image will depend on the averaging that takes place during this bayer interpretation process. Unless they can remove the bayer filter and somehow disable the software that does the interpretation of the bayer filter, then I doubt it will be worth the cost of the conversion.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but if it is my money I'd rather buy the k3iii monochrome.
05-04-2023, 12:24 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
To my understanding the conversion of a RGB camera to monochrome only removes the bayer filter, it does not change the algorithm that interprets the bayer filter. The color interpretation process would still run, although the output will be monochrome. The quality of the monochrome image will depend on the averaging that takes place during this bayer interpretation process. Unless they can remove the bayer filter and somehow disable the software that does the interpretation of the bayer filter, then I doubt it will be worth the cost of the conversion.

There are tools that bypass the demosaic process. One coming to mind is the Monochrome2DNG, also RawTherapee has a "Mono" mode in it's set of debayering algorithms. Probably there are others.
05-04-2023, 05:26 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
To my understanding the conversion of a RGB camera to monochrome only removes the bayer filter, it does not change the algorithm that interprets the bayer filter.
That algorithm is whatever your software is, though, not the RAW image!

05-04-2023, 08:46 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

As mentioned Monochrome2DNG is a tool that bypasses that step.
05-05-2023, 03:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
I'm really interested if you could explain a bit about this next bit - your experience with false colors and Topaz Sharpen AI - I've thought about buying that software:
Ideally, up-scaling an image works better if the image is free of sampling artifacts (aliasing or moiré). The MF 51Mp has no anti-alias filter on it and its pixel pitch is larger than FF 36Mpix. Having compared up-scaled and sharpened test images for 30x40" prints , from that MF 51Mpixel (GFX) and FF 36Mpix, I've found that the FF 36Mpix is better rendered after up-scaling and sharpening.

---------- Post added 05-05-23 at 12:30 ----------

Unless they can remove the bayer filter and somehow disable the software that does the interpretation of the bayer filter, then I doubt it will be worth the cost of the conversion.
Shoot raw and use external software that doesn't do the bayer interpolation. In Rawtherapee there is a dedicated "demosaicing" mode ("mono") for monochrome sensors.
05-05-2023, 06:27 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Ideally, up-scaling an image.
But why upscale at all? The printer's driver/RIP is required anyway, because most modern printers aren't RGB. This software will convert the image to the "C, LC, VM, VLM, Y, LK, LLK, O, G, PK" or whatever the vendor is using, so why not let it to handle the scaling part too?
05-05-2023, 06:55 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
made me think.icon/midnight/@menu
On a completely unrelated note, this webpage made me (an old fart using the widescreen monitor) think about the ways of modern UI.
Attached Images

05-05-2023, 09:46 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HoundFrog Quote
But why upscale at all?
Because the photo lab requires that we upload 300ppi files. Even if the upscale was done later by the printer software, there is some uncertainty about how the printer software will handle false colors (edge pixels).
05-05-2023, 09:52 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
On a completely unrelated note, this webpage made me (an old fart using the widescreen monitor) think about the ways of modern UI.
My viewing was on mobile where it looks great. I wonder if the url biased that. Try searching for the article on a desktop - maybe there’s a better link.
05-05-2023, 09:59 AM   #14
Pentaxian

That's meant to be read on a smartphone while walking down the street, and eventually get hit by a car that you didn't see coming, which actually happened to some teenagers, unfortunately.
05-06-2023, 12:01 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the website doesn’t follow a responsive web design, the website doesn‘t adjust its optimal appearance on different devices automatically. It takes some effort to implement such. Seems this site simply doesn‘t work responsive, i.e. it works optimal only on special kind of devices / display sizes.