Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #1

55mm 67 lens rattle

Need a bit of help here.. I recently received a late model 55mm "67" lens from ebay that was sold as like new, etc.

Upon inspection I noticed the regular bearing like rattles that are common (in my limited experience) to 67 lenses (though this one may have more bearing rattle than most). But I also hear a bit of a thunk when the lens is flipped over. The thunk originates from the rear element group that moves in-out when the focus is changed. I estimate total play at around .5mm to .75mm. There does not seem to be any side to side play. There does not seem to be any free play at the front of the lens, suggesting there would be some optical impact from the motion.

Obviously, I am concerned about alignment and optical quality and wondering if anyone has had experience with this. Does your 55mm make this thunk? Any looseness back there? The lens is in otherwise great condition. I'm wondering what would cause this...

I did get a decent price on it but am trying to choose between the 45mm and the 55mm and don't see keeping both.

I did some searches and found someone else with a similar problem (also a 55mm 67) but their remedy was simply to return it.

How serious is it? Optical impact? What typically causes it? Will it get worse?

I am somewhat concerned that if I sell the lens in the future (good chance since I may just stick with the 45mm), I will have to disclose this as a potential issue and most folks would never buy it.

Thank you!

01-23-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My 55mm (late) rattles, i.e. it sounds as if small springs or the like shift a bit. No thunk!

I can't tell you if your lens is a dud.

You could try some test shots although it will take a while before you get your film back.
01-24-2009, 06:38 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My 55mm (late) also rattles a bit. Haven't sent the first roll in for development yet so can't tell if it's a problem for picture quality or not.
01-24-2009, 01:31 PM   #4

Original Poster
I have spoken with some repair folks and the consensus is that this is a problem and someone will need to go in and fix it. The gotcha is that the rear group is moving independent of the front group.

It'd be nice if there was a fairly easy way to evaluate sharpness as the element group shifts position. But the cost to fix it should be less than the cost of the time to test it. Most of us want to take pics, not spend time quantifying whether an obvious problem actually impacts sharpness. And since I don't have another 55mm to compare, I have no reference.

Most of my photography is hiking up on mountains. I'm not sure how long I'll be lugging the 67 and tripod for miles and miles (my back says "not much longer, doofus!") but when I do, this isn't the type of detail I want to worry about.

Btw, I did open a case with Pentax Colorado and they never replied

Thanks to everyone who looked, even if you could only shrug.