Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2009, 06:45 AM   #1

Weird double exposure problem

I recently bought a 645 and shot a few rolls of 120. My first roll all went well but my next two had problems. On the second I got to what I thought was the last frame and it kept shooting. Shot perhaps a dozen more shots not really knowing what to do. When I removed the back the film was not wound fully on the take-up spool. Looking at the slide film it appears that the frames are overlapping. The third roll the same thing happened; got to what I thought was the last exposure and still kept shooting. I took perhaps another 20 shots. It wound properly on to the take-up. Looking at that film all frames have the last group of shots on it in addition to the original subject. So essentially double exposed. The film can't run backwards can it? Weird!

Am I doing something wrong? Did I improperly load the film?

I got a 220 back and loaded a test roll yesterday and shot the whole thing and the camera stopped at the right frame and all went well. I haven't developed the film yet be it functioned properly.

Ideas? I appreciate any help from the experienced 645 users in the forum.

01-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like you may have a bad film insert, there. I'm not intimately familiar with the 645's design, but that sort of thing's known to wear out. It could be a matter of it not seating fully, or latching securely enough, thus even though the camera is performing a full wind, all of the motion isn't transferred to the spool.
01-25-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pserko Quote
I It wound properly on to the take-up. Looking at that film all frames have the last group of shots on it in addition to the original subject. So essentially double exposed. The film can't run backwards can it? Weird!

Actually, in the confusion, did you perhaps load the same film twice?
01-25-2009, 01:21 PM   #4

Original Poster
No that part I'm certain of.

01-26-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

So, you're saying that the roll has a complete set of exposures as usual, then starts over from the beginning, and has later exposures over all the others?

(That doesn't sound possible, there shouldn't be a way film could be 'rewound' in a 645.) Probably if the film was loaded twice, the second set of exposures would be upside-down and start from the end)
01-26-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
D W
Veteran Member

Check and see if you have accidentally engaged the multiple exposure switch. Happened to me many times that I taped over it.