Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weird looking performer

For those interested in this weird looking performer I added three pictures of it to the lens review database. Pictures 2 and 3 are with the life size converter installed, picture 4 without.

And thanks to Chris Willson and Ron Boggs for helping me understand how it works before I bought it. Otherwise I might have ended up without the life-size converter.

Pentax Lens Review Database - 100mm F4 Macro

01-25-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Oh my! That is weird looking!

Steve
01-25-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It not only looks weird but it is weird. The "trumpet" shaped lens shade has 77mm front filter threads which I use for the polarizer. The rear threads of the trumpet shade are 49mm and I use a Pentax cloudy (warming) filter affixed there. For lifesize magnification you add the screw in lifesize converter (diopter) to the front element threads (via a special set of proprietary threads for the converter), then the cloudy filter, then the trumpet, then the polarizer or if you are really up for magnification above lifesize, add a 77mm diopter (Canon 500D in my case) for 1.5x magnification (the trumpet is long enough to hold the Canon 500D diopter at a great enough distance from the lens to qualify as telephoto in length as the 500D only works on "long" lenses). Silly as it seems it works really well! The front of the trumpet is a much better place for a polarizer than the 49mm threads on the front element as the front element is recessed when the lens isn't racked out for magnification. So when used as a normal lens, the external polarizer is quite workable.

And the big question...how do you like the images Ole? Have you shot with it yet?
01-25-2009, 09:31 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
And the big question...how do you like the images Ole? Have you shot with it yet?
Not yet, Ron. I'm waiting for spring to come and for some flowers to show up!