Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2007, 03:22 PM   #16
Veteran Member

MF Pentax lenses can be used on 35mm film & digital bodies with an adapter. A company called Zoerk makes adapters than enable Mamiya lenses on K mount bodies; they may make others also. More bang for the buck.

05-26-2007, 10:39 AM   #17

I hate to throw in an additional option, but if you want to get into medium format for REALLY cheap, consider Koni Omega Rapid Reflex cameras and lenses. There are four lenses available: 58, 90, 135 and 180mm. There is a set of three lenses plus a body on eBay for $120!

I personally own two bodies and all three lenses. I have shot numerous weddings and portraits with them. I must say they are sharper (more LP/mm) than my 35mm equipment! The 58mm lens is one of the best lenses I have EVER shot with. The 135mm lens is very rare.

They are all manual, no light meter. The lens contains the shutter rather than the body, which allows for great creative features. The Rapid and 100 are fixed film backs while the 200 model has removeable backs. This allows for quicker loading and changing film mid-roll (something you are likely to do in a film class).

Negative side: they are a Range Finder, not a Single Lens Reflex and they are heavy.

If I were to buy another medium format system for personal use, it would be the Pentax 67 series for the SLR capabilities.

For 35mm manual, I would by a K1000. I LOVE the LX, but it will be hard to find one that is in good condition. The K1000 is so simple, they are super reliable.
05-31-2007, 05:23 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This guy is selling off his Pentax Super Program and Mamiya 645 equipment:

eBay: Pentax and Mamiya cameras, lenses and accessories (item 250123199605 end time Jun-07-07 17:04:52 PDT)
06-02-2007, 06:35 PM   #19

There is someone selling a Pentax 67 with three lenses for $500 on the Las Vegas Craig's List! If only I had $500!!!!

06-04-2007, 10:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would stay with the K1000 : Cheap , reliable , tons of info on it . Of course you can't use the " My dog ate my camera " excuse for not getting the homework done with the K1000 ..hehehe

I don't know much about the medium format but I think you should ask your instructor . He/she know the requirements of the courses , the local labs , local supply ...you know . The school might even has a system that you can , say , buy some on your own but also have some other lens/backs/stuffs that you can use for cheap .

I just got a 645N but been dreaming , reading , rented out the 645 on & off so I know what I like !

Good luck
06-06-2007, 03:54 PM   #21
Veteran Member

MacDaddy, what ever happened with the equipment. I don't think you ever detailed the kit you picked up. In further analysis on the 35mm end you could not go wrong with either an ME Super or an MX body. The viewfinders on these cameras are a real pleasure. The MX has the added benefit of displaying the aperture right off the lens thru a little window in the viewfinder. The Me Super though has a higher flash sync at 1/125th verse 1/60 second on the MX.
06-06-2007, 06:34 PM   #22

The ME Super is a great performer, but I wouldn't buy another one because of reliability. It is possible that their reliability is on par with this type of camera but I have used mine so much that they are just plain "spent"...used up...and I have "spent" two of them already, working on a third.

The 1/125th is a surprising advantage of the ME Super.

For those that are curious how the ME Super achieves a 1/125th of a second while most cameras can only use flash at 1/60th or longer, it is because the shutter travels top to bottom instead of side to side. Once the shutter travels faster, the opening is a slit rather than a full opening.

The beauty of the Koni Omega lenses (that I spoke of earlier in this thread) is that they sync to any flash speed because of the leaf shutter instead of the travelling shutter in a Pentax 35mm, 645, and 67 camera. But of course, flash sync isn't necessarily the main reason to pick a camera.