Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2007, 06:01 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Suggestions for Pentax 35mm AND medium format

I've enrolled to minor in photography at my local college and need to pick up a pair of film cameras for the course (and to go with some of my FA/DFA lenses I use with my K10D); I need a good 35mm and medium format system, so am open to AVAILABLE solutions and suggestions from the forum.
I also need suggestions on lenses for both cameras. I have the 12-24/f4, 16-45/f4 and 43/f1.9 Limited but need a couple of medium format lenses and some longer lenses for portraiture, etc. for the 35mm.
Thanks in advance for the input folks!
Rob W

03-27-2007, 10:01 PM   #2
Inactive Account

You need to tell us more about your needs and your budget. Is auto-focus needed? Do you want all manual, full auto-exposure, or something in-between? Do you need to keep cost at a minimum with used equipment or do you want to invest in new, pro-grade equipment for future use? What "medium format:" 6x4.5, 6x6, or 6x7?
03-28-2007, 02:47 AM   #3

Original Poster
Budget is DEFINITELY a must, with a top of maybe $2000, so good, clean used equipment is the way I'm going BUT..with the hopes of continuing to use it past graduation as the foundation of at least a VERY serious hobby, if not a career. The new, pro stuff will come later. As for medium format, probably 645, as the film lab cannot accomodate much larger than that in processing. As for type, something in between full manual and full auto. Part of the course will be doing manual exposure photography, figuring out EVERYTHING "by hand". (which, to me , is an excellent way to learn the craft!)
Rob W

Last edited by macdaddy; 03-28-2007 at 11:41 AM.
03-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Budget means used equipment. With the rise of digital everything, there are fantastic bargains in older film equipment.

For 35mm film, I like the LX body for manual use, but they're still somewhat expensive. Read the thread "Mz-m" below for a discussion of other 35mm film bodies. Other options would be full manual cameras like the MX or KX in good condition. Some bodies (like the ME) don't have a full manual mode so be careful to avoid those.

Be aware that your DA lenses (12-24 and 16-45) will NOT work properly on a film body due to the small image circle. Look for used Pentax SMC-M lenses for a wide angle (e.g. 24mm) and a longer focal length (e.g. 135mm or 75-150 zoom) to compliment your 43mm.

For 645 format, the best bang for the buck will be older, manual focus systems. Both older Pentax and Mamiya manual focus SLRs are available used for reasonable prices from places like KEH. There are also some cheap Chinese cameras like a Seagull twin lens reflex for bargain prices (but, of course, the Pentax and Mamiya will be better quality with many different lenses available). With the bigger film area, you need a longer focal length lens for the same field of view as compared to 35mm film. An 75-80mm lens is a "normal" field of view on 645, as compared to 50mm for 35mm film. So keep that in mind when deciding on your lens kit.

03-28-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Rob

If you want to do some full manual especially manual focus I can suggest the ME Super for the viewfinder alone. The ME Super can be found really cheap. The only auto function on the ME Super is the camera will set the shutter speed if you want it too.

I don't know how the ME Super's viewfinder rates against the MX or LX or the other Pentax cameras mentioned but it is really superb big and bright. Nothing like a modern DSLR. It is a rather simple straight forward camera.
03-28-2007, 06:48 PM   #6

Do have a look at Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Equipment Page for a start and AOHC website for another. Lots of good info in both.
03-28-2007, 07:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Rob!

Congrats on signing up for a class. I want to do the same.

--Sean
03-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks Sean! I've decided that, like Emeril, I have to "kick it up a notch" and this is an advanced class that will explore film, digital, techniques and other aspects of photography. I WILL post examples as I finish them so you all can follow along! Stay tuned!
Rob W

04-04-2007, 03:40 PM   #9
Forum Member

Also keep in mind your DA lenses will not work properly on a mechanical camera as they have no aperture ring.
04-04-2007, 09:32 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I received the latest KEH catalog in the mail yesterday. I noticed that they had some very low prices on used Zenza Bronica medium format equipment. Seems like you can get a body, finder, back, and three lenses (wide, normal and tele) for under $700. Add a Pentax MX body, 24mm SMC lens, and 135mm f3.5 SMC-M (or a 80-200 smc-M f4.5 zoom) for the 35mm film needs and you'll have everything you need for under $1500. Just some suggestions but you should be able to get some decent equipment within your budget.
04-09-2007, 08:16 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll second GaryML's comments. Just like Pentax, Bronica tends to get under-rated when it comes to medium format, but again, just like Pentax they produced very high quality and user-friendly cameras and their lenses rival anything Mamiya ever offered. Fortunately, their relative obscurity means lower prices right now and I am considering building up my stable.
04-09-2007, 08:45 AM   #12

I would suggest a K1000 if you want a fully manual 35mm camera that is inexpensive. The LX is both electronic and manual and is an amazing camera, the best Pentax ever made in 35mm, but fairly expensive for a film camera. The newer lenses without an aperture ring will not work on any Pentax film camera other than the *st, not even the MZ-S. The image quality will be the same with any of the above mentioned cameras, just the price changes.

For medium format, I like the Pentax 645, which is easy to use and has some great lenses and the first version is very inexpensive used. The 645n is a bit more expensive and is AF with the FA lenses made for the 645, but then the price goes up and the image quality stays the same although the focus indicator still functions with MF lenses on the 645n.

Tom
04-09-2007, 08:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I put this in a post last week. Here is one local to me (no affiliation):

Pentax 645 NII film camera
04-09-2007, 09:34 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
The newer lenses without an aperture ring will not work on any Pentax film camera other than the *st, not even the MZ-S. The image quality will be the same with any of the above mentioned cameras, just the price changes.
Correct facts are a must, any Pentax FSLR that can set the aperture electronically, ie the lens in A can use the lenses without aperture rings as they are always in A.
05-25-2007, 02:19 PM   #15

I started out with a Super Program and loved it.