Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #1

2x converter

Is it possible to use the 2X converter (grey version) on the 400/4 EDIF lens (pentax67)?

Last edited by araki67; 02-12-2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: mistake
02-13-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax made more than one version of the 2x as I recall. My grey 1.4x works great with the M*400/4. You may need to look up the manual (Pentax website has pretty extensive listing of older manuals) to check applications. You also may need more info than just the color to cross-reference it...Good luck finding info...
02-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, I dug up the box and instructions for the 1.4x which also has directions and applications for the 2x.

Here's the deal, if your teleconverter says on it, "Rear Converter 2X" then the manual says that it will fit the M*400/4 EDIF lens. The image in the manual shows it in grey color. My 1.4X also says "Japan" and has a serial number on it. Presume that to be the case for your 2X as well...

I'm fairly confident that you are fine to go with that converter and lens combo.
02-17-2009, 09:06 AM   #4

I have the 400/4 EDIF, and the later grey 2x converter and they will work together. If you're adventurous, you can even stack the 1.4x and 2x converters, giving you an 1120mm f/11. I've never actually photographed anything with the stacked converters, but I did mount the lens with both converters one rainy day just to see if it could be done.

02-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Surf! Did you get any of the "monster wave" shots you were after this winter? What film did you settle on? Some of the things we've discussed in PM's would probably be of interest to others on this forum as well? For example, to get that great translucent wave color--both blues and greens based on your water--depends of how your film records it. What films have you tried and what do you like the best?
02-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #6

Hey Ron. Hasn't been a good winter for big waves in Hawaii. Spent yesterday at Waimea Bay, where despite the moderate size of the swell, there was some beautiful shore break. Lighting wasn't optimal, but you have to work with what nature gives you. I was just thankful for some good waves. I'm shooting Astia 100F, which I know is a bit tame for some, but I like the neutral color rendition, and it holds highlights better than any other slide film, which can be really important when shooting something like waves. It doesn't have the saturation of Velvia, but it's color rendition is very accurate, so whatever colors nature provides will be there in the slides. Don't have a decent E-6 lab in Honolulu any more, so I'm waiting until I have 15 rolls or so to send to the mainland for processing.
The 400/4 EDIF I picked up for this work is perfect for the job. I'm also using a 67II body for the first time this winter, and it's a great upgrade from the 67. The viewfinder is so much brighter, and makes focusing the 400 easy. It's a great combo.
02-28-2009, 01:31 PM   #7

Original Poster
Hi Ron, surfotog, really really thanks, this weekend I'll try the combo!!!

03-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hope the images turn out well...what are you shooting with that 800mm big gun?

And let us know how the sharpness holds up with 2X...