Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax 67 and 67II lens aperture operation

Hi, I am gradually moving from my original M42 Spotmatic F to using the K mount ME Super 35mm setup, mostly for lens sharing with a planned DSLR future buying.

Of course, now I am distracted by the idea of using the 6x7 format.

Both the Spotmatic F and ME Super have:
- full aperture viewing
- Light meter operation with the aperture wide open ( SPF with a needle, ME Super with numbers)
- auto stop down of the aperture with shutter activation
- Indication of when the lens aperture selected will have enough light (different between the two, but it is there)

The ME Super has
- auto shutter speed selection (aperture priority)
- More info in the viewfinder
- Split screen focus (but I am not sure that I actually like it any better)

I have been reading through the 67II manual on line and it seems to behave a lot like the ME Super from an "automatic" arrangement, but I am unclear if this is still true for the older 67 size lenses.

So I guess the first question is, will an older lens made for a 6x7 or
67 provide in the 67II:
- Full aperture viewing ?
- Automatic stop down ?
- Any kind of viewfinder indication of aperture or light level with out doing a manual stop down ?

Second question
- Why does the adapter for 6x7 to K mount not support anything but fully manual mode ?
- Is this a camera body, lens, or adapter complexity problem ?

I apologize if I missed somewhere these obvious points.

Thank you,

HarryN

03-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Most of the older lenses for the P67 are auto diaphragm and will allow wide open metering, viewing and will auto stop down when used on the P67II. There were a few that were manual however; the 400 and 600 Takumar come to mind. Pentax could not figure out a way to use the TTL prism chain to connect to the outer bay lens diaphragm. The 800mm F/4 Takumar and 1000mm mirror were also outer bay. The manual lenses are really not that difficult to use, just a bit slower in use. Yes there is a light level indicator in the P67II viewfinder. It works well when wide open metering, using the auto lenses.

Last edited by desertscape; 03-09-2009 at 06:19 PM.
03-10-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much for the information.

I am still trying to figure out the lens details, as there are some 6x7 lenses at KEH marked (late), in particular in the 100 - 200mm range.

It would be handy if I can buy 6x7 lenses and use them on my ME Super (with the adapter) but so far it appears that this is just fully manual - not full aperture viewing. To me, this is a very important feature. Manual focus seems normal to me so I don't care about AF.