Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2009, 01:14 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax 400mm f4 6x7 lens at Adorama

Figured I would point this out to anyone who has a 6x7 67 or 67ii. Adorama currently has a lens listed as the SMCP 6x7 400mm f4. I've tried to contact them to see what version of the 400mm it is, M* or Takumar, but no response. Their listing would indicate M* but the price would indicate Takumar, and it apparently comes with the case, which I think would also indicate the M* version. If I had the money I would pursue it further but I'm broke so I figured I would let anyone else know who might be interested here. Maybe you could get them to respond to you and figure out exactly what lens this is.

Pentax Smcp 6x7 400 F4 W/cs

03-24-2009, 03:17 PM   #2

Adorama never responds to inquiries about their used equipment, I've tried. There is no way this is the M* 400/4 ED IF. And at $950 for the older 400/4, it's overpriced. You can pick one up at KEH cheaper, and they are a much more reliable seller of used equipment. Adorama is fine for new gear, but I would steer clear of them for most used items.
03-25-2009, 02:13 AM   #3
Adorama Camera Representative

Adorama Camera Customer Service - used department

QuoteOriginally posted by surfotog Quote
Adorama never responds to inquiries about their used equipment, I've tried.
I'm curious - what email address are you using to try to contact the Used Department?

You are always better off contacting me, regarding anything to do with Adorama, in any case!!

Sincerely
Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera
03-25-2009, 08:13 AM   #4

Hello Helen - Thanks for contributing. I don't recall the specific email address I have used trying to contact the Adorama used dept, it's whatever is listed on the website. My most recent experience came a couple of weeks ago when I saw a listing for a demo Pentax 67 Bellows unit. There are two models of the 67 bellows, an older unit that is incompatible with the 67II camera, and the newer 67II bellows. I inquired with the used department about which model it was and never heard from them.

The contact information listed on the website is of little use if they don't respond. My suggestion would be to encourage the employees in that area to learn customer service, or provide a different means of contact. One of your main competitors, B&H Photo, always responds to questions within 24 hours.

Scott Marcellus

03-25-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Funny, I was on Adorama's site last night--buying the special 5 Sandisk 2g Extreme III cards for $50 shipped! That's right 5 for $50! I checked their used 67 lens list and it appears that there are several 300/4's for sale. None mentioned M*or EDIF and all were priced too low for the M*. I suspect they have Taks and SMC's--not the latest version.
03-25-2009, 09:46 AM   #6

Original Poster
Haha, I know very well that this is too good to be true but I figured I would post it just in case. I just realized by going back through my emails that my original inquiry was sent to the sales department at sales@adorama.com as opposed to the used department which may explain part of the lack of a response.

Just for my education; there are two versions of the 400mm f4 correct? The Takumar and the M*, while there are three versions of the 300mm f4 right? The Takumar, the SMC, and the M*?

I would really like to get a copy of that M* 400mm f4 but there is no way on God's green earth that I could afford it, let alone justify it even if I could afford it.
03-25-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Not real sure about the "geneology" of the 300mm family tree. Where's Wheatfield when you need him?
03-25-2009, 11:40 AM   #8

I believe there are three versions of the 400/4 also. When the 67 system was launched in 1969, all of the lenses were Super-Takumars. In 1971 they became Super-MultiCoated Takumars, although they remained unchanged optically. I don't recall the year the M* 400/4 EDIF was launched, sometime in the 1980's.

Basically, if you're looking at buying any of the Takumars, they are differentiated by their coatings, not their optics. When Pentax changed the optics it was usually easy to seperate them, as when the 150/2.8, was replaced by the 165/2.8, and the 55/3.5 was replaced by the 55/4. There are however two 55/4's, which sometimes causes confusion.

When inquiring about a used Takumar, make sure it's the SMC variety.

03-25-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
Adorama Camera Representative

Adorama Camera Customer Service - used department

QuoteOriginally posted by mk07138 Quote
Haha, I know very well that this is too good to be true but I figured I would post it just in case. I just realized by going back through my emails that my original inquiry was sent to the sales department at sales@adorama.com as opposed to the used department which may explain part of the lack of a response.

Just for my education; there are two versions of the 400mm f4 correct? The Takumar and the M*, while there are three versions of the 300mm f4 right? The Takumar, the SMC, and the M*?

I would really like to get a copy of that M* 400mm f4 but there is no way on God's green earth that I could afford it, let alone justify it even if I could afford it.
The 400mm Pentax 6x7cm lens is an SMC Takumar
The Pentax Bellows on our system currently is noted to be a type II

I hope this helps

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera
03-25-2009, 06:18 PM   #10

Original Poster
Helen, thank you very much for the reply. Good to know the actual identity of the lens. Since the used department there rarely posts pictures of the item and the descriptions are often not the most in depth it is sometimes hard to distinguish between similar items.
03-27-2009, 09:24 AM   #11
Pentaxian

FYI, the 400 EDIF was introduced in 1986 and ran concurrently with the 400 Takumar for a short time. The 400 SMC Takumar is no dog and can keep up with the EDIF version in all cases except wide open and f/5.6. The differences between the 400s are much smaller than those of the 300 SMC Takumar and 300 EDIF.

Last edited by desertscape; 03-27-2009 at 09:54 AM.