Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2009, 04:43 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hi Ron,
I hope i havent offended you as it was certainly not meant that way.
I know what it feels like as i have a great copy of the DA*16-50 and if you go by what is said on the forum, good copies dont exist.
What i did say was that probably two things in the digital age have changed the way we look at lenses.
1. is that everybody can look at a shot at 100% within a minute of taking the image and see immediately that it is a good copy.
2. is that the internet allows people to pronounce their finding to everyone and say how badly done by and how crappy the lens is, on on and on. ie da*16-50. It gives them the avenue the tell people. If 10 people get on the net and say they have bad copies others may think it is soooo common, whereas people who have a good copy just take photos with it and are not as motivated to share their experience.

I think that lenses are probably good 80% of the time in some models, maybe 90-95% in other models and i think that is the nature of the beast.

I also think that the 45mm needs no defending as i have heard (and seen) so many good things about it from many photographers, so i justput it down to sample variance, which is good to know and makes you realise as a buyer that you have to take this into consideration.

It is certainly is a lens on the must have list ( i mainly do landscape images as well) but not until i have something on the long side of a 100mm first.

Cheers Neil

05-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Not offended as much as miffed and not so much at you as the situation. I haven't had the multiple bad copies issue like Surfotog and really like the 45mm in my kit. I really like one of my shooting buddy's 55mm too, but the two offer very different perspectives--angle of view is noticeably different.

Presuming good copies, I doubt that anyone would be unhappy with either lens...but they do offer different "looks" and I feel that this thread was spinning into the "don't buy a 45mm" zone. When in actuality, some folks may very much enjoy a 45mm.

Certainly nothing said here that would cause anyone any stress--all is good!
05-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hehe, I was actually thinking the opposite and found it easy to justify both lenses. LOL, MFLBA ?
There is only one thing not in its favour and that is price. Hopefully there might be some relief if i could get one at $240USD I'd be well happy.
I'm actually glad to see a bit of yingnyang because it does mean that people are very happy and are willing to say so, which is not always the case.
Cheers Neil