Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #16
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eyou Quote
found this in my basement. was my grandfathers. i havent tried it out yet though, but it seems to be working without any film.

Send it to me, I'll test it for you Might take awhile for it to come back though...

05-03-2009, 08:42 AM   #17

I'm using Fujichome Velvia Professional 100 with good results.
05-03-2009, 02:07 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
wow what a beauty, it would be a waste not to use a camera like that
leica=king of 35mm, hassy=king of 6x6, rollei=king of tlrs
Leica is king of 35mm rangefinders.

I'm voting holga for king of medium format..haha
05-04-2009, 07:25 PM   #19

I do shoot MF sometimes, generally on a Mamiya 645 AFD. I rent the camera and charge the client when I need to shoot MF — sometimes it's Mamiya, sometimes it's Blad.

05-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #20
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Shame all the good film is no longer made like Agfa Portrait, Konica 160, Kodak E100s.
05-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #21

K-9 Wrote, "shame all the good film is no longer made..." Those particular emulsions may no longer be made, but there is a lot of great film avilable, both color & B+W. On the color side, an oft overlooked, remarkable film, is Fuji Astia 100F. Beautiful, accurate color, nearly non-existant grain, and the longest scale of any slide film. Doesn't have the hyper-saturation of Velvia, but a great, natural looking film. Need speed? Provia 400x, superb in 120, fantastic smooth, tight grain for a 400 film. In B+W we have an embarrasment of riches. Need a slow, super sharp, ultrafine grain emulsion for BIG prints? Try Rollei ATP. A bit pricey, but can be developed with excellent results in the easy to use and very economical Diafine. A bit more speed? Fuji Acros. Old school?Ilford Pan F, Efke 25, High speed? Neopan 400, Tri-X, New T-Max 400, Delta 3200. Not to mention the Ifrared and Ortho emulsions available.
I think it's a great time to be a MF film shooter. You can shoot your favorite film and print in either the traditional darkroom, or scan and digitize.
I didn't reference any C-41 films as I don't shoot color negs, but the Portra films are reputed to be excellent, and there is the new Ektar 100, now available in 120. Surely there's something on the market that will appeal to you.
05-07-2009, 03:03 AM   #22

Original Poster
I absolutely agree. It is a good time for anyone to step into MF. One can find a really good camera at an affordable price these days. Labs are not that expensive either, and in the end, after scanning, you have enough resolution to cover the side of your house with the photo ;-)

I am off to try Tri-X today evening in an industrial setting. Let's see how it works out.

U

05-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #23
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've used Astia once or twice and it's fine. I just preferred E100S for slides. I tend to shoot more film lately and I am meaning to try the Ektar 100. I usually use Reala and I believe it's still available. Anyone have any input as to Ektar's comparison to Reala?

I usually stick with Ilford Delta 100 for b&w. I believe it's still available.
05-08-2009, 07:26 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
E100S evolved into E100VS...or at least that was the marketing pitch at the time. I like E100VS very much and it is still readily available.
05-08-2009, 04:01 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More good advice from The Hickster

Tri-X or HP5+. Use anything slower and you will have difficulty with your grain focuser.

Chris
05-10-2009, 07:08 AM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Urmas R. Quote
I find myself getting more and more back into classical film photography, especially medium format (just got another TLR camera). Although it will never replace digital, I prefer it now for staged shots, where I have loads of time. Anybody else shooting MF film here? Especially with older 1940-50 cameras?

As it is not really necessarily Pentax related, do you happen to know any lively MF forums?
Just a holga at the moment but looking~!!!
05-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
on demand histogram is the single most important "fake" gimmick that has compressed the time it took me to learn photography from years to months, not to mention the money saved from endlessly wasting film and darkroom hours to understand how the world-lens-film relationships work.
I would submit those months in the darkroom are necessary to truly understand how photography works. At least, that's what it took for me
05-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Tri-X or HP5+. Use anything slower and you will have difficulty with your grain focuser.

Chris

I would say Plus-X pushed to EI 500. Beautiful grain, but not too much of it. Incredibly contrasty negatives, but not too much of it. Kodak is right; when people say Black and White, this is what they mean.
05-28-2009, 10:20 PM   #29
JPO

Yes, I shoot MF film. I have fallen into shooting a fair amount of Ilford; PanF+, HP5+ and Delta 3200.

I like shooting films that I can get in bulk 35mm and also in 120; too bad one can't get a spool of Delta 3200. I've tried others, and also found them to be good: Pretty much anything made by Kodak; tried some Rollei ortho and also some SFX.

I lean more and more towards shooting 120, and enjoy it.
Attached Images

05-29-2009, 01:23 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I use Ilford 3200, and Provia 100F.

Lots of experience with Provia on 35mm, so it's an old friend. Ilford 3200 and black and white film in general as a film of choice is new to me. I will also pick up some other Ilford films. I might give Velvia another shot, I've never loved it but then it isn't meant to be a "general purpose" landscape film. Unfortunately, mixed in with the planned and calculated shots on any roll are a few not so planned "memory" type snap shots. Provia handles these not prime lighting much better than Velvia. Of course I expect to use the 645 much less for that stuff than I did 35mm film, so Velvia might get a second chance from me.

The main thing I like about the Ilford 3200 is it's rated at 1000 but can be pushed or fulled to EI400-12,500 with varying results. The sweet spot seems to be around 1250-3200 from what I gather (experience might prove different). Being able to shoot the 645 with 55mm hand held indoors without a flash is a nice thing! It's black and white so I'm not terribly afraid of grain, I'll let you know how the shots exposed at 3200 turn out in a few days!

On a sad note, the only 2 Kodak films I ever liked were EBX (Elitechrome 100 saturated) and Kodachrome 64. Kodachrome is I believe still sold, but good luck processing it. EBX might be around, but I don't think it's made in 120/220. Fuji films just worked better for me.

The film I am most excited to try is Provia 400X. I understand it pushes well, and my experience pushing Provia 100F is that 2 stops is very reasonable, I believe I've read 400X does equally well.