Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2009, 06:24 AM   #31
Veteran Member

I divide my shooting sessions between digital & film, both 35mm & medium format, almost equally. Each has it's attractions, advantages, & disadvantages. The older cameras each had their own distinct character, allowing you to approach a subject differently than you might with another (unlike today, where shooting with one brand or another doesn't really affect your approach, as they're so much alike).
I shoot medium format with a Minolta Autocord TLR & a Zeiss Ikonta folder w/ a Tessar.

06-05-2009, 09:15 PM   #32
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice thread! I don't own a digital camera. Not out of choice so much. I am just spoiled by the huge, beautiful images you get from shooting MF with good glass. A lot of the prosumer (read: what I could afford) DSLRs feel like toys to me. Thinking very hard about a K20d though. I could use all my 35mm lenses, which is a huge + for me. Digital photography is just not in the cards for me right now, but I'm not afraid of technology. Also, anyone who shoots MF knows the warm fuzzy the aesthetic of film gives you. I feel like shooting film is more of a discipline as well blah blah blah...

I use a 67II, Mamiya C220, and a beat up old K1000 for 35mm.

I shoot the same 2 films almost always. Ilford HP5 for B&W or Velvia 50 for color. Shooting color very rarely these days, but Velvia 50 makes for a nice photo when exposed correctly. If I'm in broad daylight, I'll shoot Delta 100. I have used Tmax here and there, but I prefer the warmer tones of Ilford's films. I also like that Kodak C41 process B&W film, but no one seems to carry it locally anymore.

For 35mm, I shoot Delta 100, Velvia 100, or HP5.

HP5 @ 800, 67II/105mm @ 2.8, 1/180:

Velvia 50, 67II/105mm @ F4, 1/60:
06-06-2009, 07:10 AM   #33

I am still waiting for the digital camera that will replace medium format film. As to Medium Format Forums, check out Photography community, including forums, reviews, and galleries from Photo.net As to shooting 40-50s medium format cameras I used to have a big collection of 120 folders purchased from Jurgen Kreckel that I sold last winter. The folders are fun but not that consistent nor that sharp. Constant folding changes the angle of the lens to the film plane. The sharpest of the bunch (the one I kept) and the worst ergonomically is the Certo Six. Just about any TLR with a Tessar style lens will blow away the folders even a $12.00 Ciro Flex. For TLRs I have Autocords, Diacords, Yashica D, Rolleiflex 3.5e, Rolleicord Vb, Mamiya C220s, Mamiya c330s, and two Kalloflexs. They are all outstanding shooters. There is a lot of great film available, Fuji Provia 100F, Kodak E100vs, and loads of black and white like the new Tmax400 and Ilford’s Pan F 50. The best medium format cameras by the way were built by Pentax!!!
06-15-2009, 12:11 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Harry Potter Quote
I am still waiting for the digital camera that will replace medium format film. As to Medium Format Forums, check out Photography community, including forums, reviews, and galleries from Photo.net As to shooting 40-50s medium format cameras I used to have a big collection of 120 folders purchased from Jurgen Kreckel that I sold last winter. The folders are fun but not that consistent nor that sharp. Constant folding changes the angle of the lens to the film plane. The sharpest of the bunch (the one I kept) and the worst ergonomically is the Certo Six. Just about any TLR with a Tessar style lens will blow away the folders even a $12.00 Ciro Flex. For TLRs I have Autocords, Diacords, Yashica D, Rolleiflex 3.5e, Rolleicord Vb, Mamiya C220s, Mamiya c330s, and two Kalloflexs. They are all outstanding shooters. There is a lot of great film available, Fuji Provia 100F, Kodak E100vs, and loads of black and white like the new Tmax400 and Ilford’s Pan F 50. The best medium format cameras by the way were built by Pentax!!!

The problem is that these digital MF cost more than my jeep and I can't ride it.