Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #16
P67

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since going to to the 67, I've all but retired my favourite 35mm cameras. When I shoot landscape or astro, I want the larger sized film. That's why I went to MF in the first place. I started with the 67's, and still use them, but the 67ii is a jewel by comparison.

I've hung most every lens combination, right up to the big 400 EDIF plus a 1.4x converter, over stressing my 30 year old aluminium tripod, and have not had any issue regarding mirror slap, using common sense. Now that its on a solid Berlebach tripod with a B1 ball head, mirror slap has become a moot point regardless of shutter speed or shooting situation. A complete non issue.

01-04-2010, 12:59 AM   #17

I've had a 67ii for a couple of months and haven't noticed any issue with 'mirror slap', shooting mostly handheld using slow b & w film. I think stories like this are usually myths perpetuated by 'gear-heads' seeking to justify why their camera is 'better' than yours.

IMHO there is a noticeable difference between 6x7 and 645 at most enlargements.
01-04-2010, 07:28 AM   #18
Forum Member

Wow, this is the first I've heard of the noticeable difference b/w 645 and 67 in print! I'd be keen to see the differences quantified, since I think most people like myself are constantly entertained by the notion of going 6x7; you all could definitely help answer the question "is it worth it??"

Also, have any of you got sample scans to quell the rumors about mirror slap?
01-04-2010, 08:09 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by andycogbill Quote

Also, have any of you got sample scans to quell the rumors about mirror slap?
How about a video of a 6x7 shutter being tripped with a nickel balanced on end on the focusing screen and not being knocked over?

01-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
How about a video of a 6x7 shutter being tripped with a nickel balanced on end on the focusing screen and not being knocked over?
Wheatfield - I saw the video. Was that with MLU? And, the nickel still moved. How'd the photo turn out? That's what I'd really like to see.
01-04-2010, 01:44 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by andycogbill Quote
Wheatfield - I saw the video. Was that with MLU? And, the nickel still moved. How'd the photo turn out? That's what I'd really like to see.
That was without MLU.
The nickel may have moved, but it didn't fall over.
There was no film in the camera.

I've shot several thousand exposures with my 6x7 without camera shake being an issue.
You can't use a flimsy tripod, but as the camera weights in at something like 7 pounds with a lens and meter prism attached, you don't want a wimpy tripod anyway.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 01-05-2010 at 09:16 PM.
01-15-2010, 11:31 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
You can't use a flimsy tripod, but as the camera weights in at something like 7 pounds with a lens and meter prism attached, you don't want a wimpy tripod anyway.
I have a Manfrotto 7301YB compact tripod. I've been told it's too small. But little do they know it is not. So far it's been good up to my 165mm LS. The trick is using a folding hood and mirror lockup. I can carry that tripod around all day.

The 67 body + 90mm + WLF + camera strap = 4.17 lb (=1.89kg)