Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
67II -- which sync cord for TTL off-camera flash?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Which sync cable do I need for TTL off camera flash with the Pentax 67II?

I've got a hotshoe grip and an AF 500 FTZ flash. I can use the flash on the grip for TTL auto, but I want to move the flash off camera. I called Pentax twice and got different answers. First, I was told to buy the F5P cord with off camera flash adaptor F. Called a second time and was told I needed 5P sync cord 67II, to go directly from camera to flash (part 38019) which is no longer available.

Anybody know what the real answer is? And where I can get the part(s). Thanks

05-26-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Both answers are correct. You can use either a F5P cord + a Hot Shoe Adapter F, or just a 5P sync cord. The problem with the latter, as you know, is that it's no longer available.

You can buy this one. It's not as well made as the 5p sync cord, but is functionally equivalent (I know, the camera and the flash are different from yours. But the flash contacts are in the same locations).

05-29-2009, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
More to the answer...

Modern Pentax TTL and PTTL flashes connect with the 5 pin fittings that match the fittings on your 67II camera body and on the connection port on the side of the AF500FTZ and on the newer AF540FGZ flash units. Thus all the sych cords offered by Pentax that will potentially work for your situation will include "5P" in the product name. Avoid the earlier 4 pin synch cords.

The 5P Synchro Cord is only about an inch and a half long and goes from the flash port on the 67II body to the connection port on the hotshoe grip which you already have. I'm guessing you have that short little synch cord as well--part 38019--as it comes with the hotshoe grip. If you need one, I have an extra still new in the bag with the wrench to attach the grip...The Pentax switchboard folks would find this part when looking up flash attachment parts for the 67II as it's the "standard" part that is included with the hotshoe grip...

The F5P cord is about 2 feet long of coiled cord with the same two connection fittings (5pin) as the shorter one mentioned above. I use this cord with flash brackets or for shooting while holding and aiming the flash manually--hand-held. This is generally considered the most common Pentax off-camera flash cord for most shooting situations.

The F5PL (L for "long") is the longest off-camera synch cord offered by Pentax. It is straight, uncoiled wire and approximately 10 feet long. It also has the same two 5 pin connectors to connect with the camera body on one end and the flash on the other. I sometimes use this cord to connect a wired slave flash to the main flash or to move the flash to it's own stand up to 10 feet from the camera.

Because your flash--the AF500FTZ--has it's own 5 pin synch port, you do not need to purchase the usual Pentax off-camera shoes--Hot shoe Adapter Fg or Off-camera Shoe Adapter F. These are both similar parts with the Off-camera Shoe Adapter F also including a tripod socket on the bottom for mounting. Folks with the AF330FTZ or AF360FGZ flash units need to use these shoes for wired off-camera TTL flash as those flashes don't have the external 5 pin port. By running the synch cord to the 5 pin port on one of these shoes, the flash info is passed to the flash by the shoe.

What I like to use for off camera mounting of the flash is a "dummy" shoe--a shoe with no contacts or disabled contacts to remove the risk of shorting across the 5 pins on the bottom of the flash. I have used the Off-camera Shoe Clip CL-10 that came with the 540 or a $3 cheapo shoe with tripod screw threads underneath. (I disable it by placing electrician's tape across the contact area so there is no chance of shorting anything out). For the past 10 years or so since the Pentax Off-camera Shoe Apapter F was released, I've used that as well, but not with the synch cord connected. I prefer to connect the cord directly to the flash body through it's port.

So now that you've read this novel...all you need is either the F5P two-foot synch cord or the F5PL ten-foot synch cord and perhaps a dummy shoe for convenient mounting.

Have fun!