Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2009, 12:59 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I going to buy a film-medium format camera soon...so my answer is: Don't sell yours!!
There is nothing better and more flexible then a MF film camera!

06-11-2009, 05:25 AM   #17
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
only shoot Slide for Medium Format
I love medium format transparencies, but unless you're going to use them for publishing, medium format negatives are easier to get nice prints from. Also, try finding a 6x7 slide projector! The big trannies are nice, but not if you're just going to admire them on a lightbox.
06-11-2009, 09:58 AM   #18
Forum Member

Scan test offer

Hi, I am very much a novice, but I recently picked up a canoscan 8800F ($ 200 at pcconnection) and I have been very impressed with my 35mm neg scans. It is remarkably good and faster than my prior experiences with scanners.

Once again, I am just a beginner, but if you would like to get a feel for how your negs will scan on it, I can scan a few for you as a test. I am just getting started with it and don't have / use cropping s/w, just what comes with the canon. I will say that I was so impressed, I wish I had gone ahead and purchased their complete scan / print / copy setup for about $ 400, but that was over my budget as well.

The 35mm negs at max resolution and color bit create 120mb files, so the medium format scan would of course be larger - I guess 4X ? For me, I would be interested to get your opinion of how the scans look.

Anyway, if you are interested, send me a pm to work out the details. I prefer to put the files on a jump drive for you rather than a cd, unless you have an easy FTP method.

Take care,

HarryN
06-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #19
Inactive Account

I would like to extend the same offer as HarryN. I will scan a negative/postive on my Creo and I also have access to my old V500. You could then compare the two. I got my V500 as a refurb from Epson for $150. You may find that the Epson is perfectly adequate for your needs and you would only need to spend a couple hundred at most.

Please don't take me as the slimy guy that goes on message boards and tries to get free advertising... But I do wet and dry scans for hire as well, so if you like the quality of my scans, you'll always have the option of paying for good scans only when you need them.

06-13-2009, 02:38 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just received my first roll of Velvia back (ever)....2 hours with a 11 month old...no tripod....wanting to at least shoot a role. I had a great afternoon and they are terriffic....scanned not so much but I'm learning. From looking at the slides......do you really want to limit yourself to digital?
06-13-2009, 08:30 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
....do you really want to limit yourself to digital?
A K20D comes pretty close to well scanned 645 Velvia in the resolution department. I've found 645 slide film has about 16-18 MP of useful information(edit: landscapes, real world lighting, or handheld... studio is a completely different story IMO). 35mm 6-12. Resolution isn't everything though, and at this point it's really just about preference. I prefer both!

Last edited by Vertex Ninja; 06-13-2009 at 12:39 PM.
06-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #22
Forum Member

Hi, I am not entirely sure about the resolution of 35mm Ultra Color 100 - it is quite amazing stuff. Just for fun, I tried scanning a snapshot I took with my Minox P+S at different resolutions. Even with my rather non detail oriented eyes, I could clearly see more detail at every higher resolution setting, which is why the file is dang big.

What I actually would like an opinion on is the color bit rate aspect. These newer scanners have much higher color bit depth than the digital cameras, but they also have LED backlighting, which may or may not have the color capability of 42 bits. It very much depends on what LED they chose.

06-13-2009, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by HarryN Quote
Hi, I am not entirely sure about the resolution of 35mm Ultra Color 100 - it is quite amazing stuff. Just for fun, I tried scanning a snapshot I took with my Minox P+S at different resolutions. Even with my rather non detail oriented eyes, I could clearly see more detail at every higher resolution setting, which is why the file is dang big.

What I actually would like an opinion on is the color bit rate aspect. These newer scanners have much higher color bit depth than the digital cameras, but they also have LED backlighting, which may or may not have the color capability of 42 bits. It very much depends on what LED they chose.
Lots of great info at this site with regards to scanning, resolution, etc.

Technique - Ektar 100 test - Setup