Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Shutter and film problem- pentax 6x7

Hi,

so i go to the pennsylvania college of art and design and half way through the school year i got a pentax 6x7 1978 i think. and its had a few minor problems but now its summer and i want to take pictures and when i go to take one, my film dosnt stop advancing and just rolls it back up on the other side. this has never happened before. also my shutter isnt working. thats happened before, but i checked and the battery and it is still working so now i dont know what to do.

oh and i think this is because my sister accidentally knocked it over and it his the ground pretty hard.

pleeeaassee anyone know what i can do?!

06-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lakenotapond Quote
oh and i think this is because my sister accidentally knocked it over and it his the ground pretty hard.
Well there's yer problem. If something snapped inside, there's not much anyone can help with from over here. You should send it to a repair shop.

Does Eric do Medium Format as well?
06-10-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks.

man i hoped that wouldnt be the case but with my luck it probably is somthing inside of the camera.

-michelle
06-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum; sorry you arrive under unfortunate circumstances.

Agreed that you need to get that camera to the shop.

It's possible that the shutter is okay; it's not supposed to fire until you've advanced the film to frame 1. If the transport mechanism never detects that you've gotten to frame 1 you would end up advancing the film all the way to the end and would never be able to fire the shutter.

Check the manual (download from pentaximaging.com if necessary) for instructions on how to fire the shutter without film loaded -- there's a trick on the 67 (pre-II) involving manually advancing the frame counter.

06-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Does the 67I have a multiple exposure switch/button? Try engaging it and see if the shutter fires.
06-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks! that info about the transport mechanism was very helpful.

Do you or anyone know a good place to send it and get it back pretty quickly?

thanks again :]
06-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Well, if you can't find someone to service the camera locally, you could send it to Eric Hendrickson's shop

Estimating

He is highly regarded by many on the forum and according to his web site he does service 6x7s.
I'd send e-mail first to make sure he can handle a rush order.
06-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eric definitely does 6x7's. He repaired mine and now its great. I highly recommend sending it to him.