Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax 645N

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/110932-pentax...-compared.html

645N
Year introduced
Mount
Pentax 645 AF
Meter range
2 - 21 EV
Meter pattern
m (6 segment) c s
ISO range
12-6400
Film type
120 and 220 roll film, 70mm film
No. of exposures
120 film: 16, 220 film: 33, 70mm: 95
Data imprint on film
Yes
Exposure modes
P, Tv, Av, M, B, X
Exposure compensation
+/- 3 EV
Exposure memory lock
Yes
Shutter speeds (auto)
30 - 1/1000s
Shutter speeds (manual)
4 - 1/1000s, B
Shutter speeds (mechanical)
None
Half step speeds in M and Tv
No
Self timer
Yes
Mirror lock-up
No
Auto bracketing
Yes
Multiple exposures
Yes
Winder
Built-in, 2 fps
Built-in flash
No
TTL flash
Yes
P-TTL flash
No
Sync speed
1/60s
Flash exposure comp
No
Autofocus
Yes, (3 points)
Autofocus sensitivity
-1 - 18 EV
Viewfinder
0.76x, 92% (vert), 93% (hor)
Viewfinder type
Keplerian telescope
Diopter correction
-3.5 - +1.5
Exchangeable screen
Yes
Depth of field preview
Yes
Image size
41.5 x 56 mm
Battery
6 x AA
External battery pack
Yes
Size (W x H x D)
147 x 109 x 117 mm
Weight
1280 g
Comment
Accepts leaf shutter lens for flash synchronization to 1/500s.
Accessories: 120 and 220 film backs, 70mm film holder. External battery pack

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS  Photo   

Last edited by Ole; 05-05-2010 at 07:11 PM.
08-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #2

Pentax 645N Camera Review

Pros Easy to use, Film-edge Data, Non-modal/Non-menu Operation, Green for go knobs, Fits hand well, Not as heavy as it looks
Cons Heavi-ish, Big-ish Loud shutter
Rating 10
Price (U.S. Dollars) $350
Years Owned 2

I can recommend this camera: Yes

Value, Features, Performance & Size
Medium format 645 format, SLR camera.
Film size: 41.5x56 with 70mm diagonal.
Film area: 2.7x 35mm film. Film diagonal: 1.6x 35mm (Lens factor).
Pro-build with wide availability of high-quality lenses.
Auto-focus, Matrix metering, Motor wind and rewind.

Camera Review
I love this camera! It feels solid and confident in the hand, and the Autofocus works well, despite a bit of ch-ch-ch as it zeros in. The usage and haptics on the 645N are just wonderful. Triggering a photo results in a satisfying ka-chunnnk as the mirror flips up and the motor winds. Despite the noise, there is zero feeling of mirror-slap. Batteries seem to last a long time. AND last but not least... Film edge printing of exposure data; Very sweet!

What I like best is that each camera function has its own knob, meaning that the controls are virtually "non-modal". In other words: No menu screens! The knobs have a "green-for-go" indication, and when they are all set green you have an automatic, point-and-shoot SLR camera... OK, a large SLR. Move a knob off green and you have just taken over manual control for that function.

If you look at the picture you see five knobs with green indicators. The aperture setting on the lens gives you a sixth knob. The only button-driven menu is for setting ISO.

Second. The camera is heavy, but not as heavy as it looks. 3-3/4 lb (1-3/4 Kg) with lens, which is roughly the same as the Nikon D3. The grip balances easily in your fingers; the strap hangs very nicely and feels soft on your shoulder. Weight starts to add up if you carry more than a couple lenses. The zooms are pretty heavy.

Third. The Pentax 645 lenses are highly regarded, and the 645N has a wide range of from 35mm (22mm equiv) to 200mm (125mm equiv), that are very inexpensive and readily available on the used market. Other sizes include 45mm (28mm equiv), 55mm (35mm equiv), 75mm (47mm), 120mm (75mm), 150mm (94mm). More expensive, longer lenses exist, but I've never seen one outside "buy-now" at ebay. Standard filter size for Pentax 645 lenses has been 58mm, and many of the FA lenses maintain that size; Other sizes are 67mm or 77mm. In the middle of the range, many FA lenses offer f/2.8 apertures.

The 645N has no problem using the manual focus lenses from the older Pentax 645 manual camera. These are beautiful lenses with a buttery-smooth focus control, and the 645N focus confirmation indicators (light and sound) work with the manual lenses. I regularly use the 35mm manual lens, for landscapes.

Availability

This camera was very popular with professional wedding photographers. There are a lot of them available on the used market (at least in the US) as the wedding pros have all moved to digital and are finally dumping their analog cameras. Usually they are offered with the "normal" 75mm lens and a film insert (which is a necessity) for $400-500, but often you can get a full kit with several lenses, inserts and random accessories. The AF500FTZ Flash is frequently and cheaply available. I believe it has some off-camera, remote communication like Nikon 600 & 900 flashes.

FA lenses have become much less available and more expensive with the announcement of the Pentax 645D, but for professional equipment, the P645 lenses (manual or automatic) are still a great deal in professional, medium format equipment. Good luck finding the 35mm FA!
04-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax 645N Camera Review

Pros Convenient controls, light, easy to handle
Cons Film inserts rather than backs
Rating 9
Price (U.S. Dollars) $480
Years Owned <1

I can recommend this camera: Yes

Value, Features, Performance &amp; Size
Great value--was better before prices edged up. Handles even better than the original 645. Light for the format. Responsive. AF confirmation in viewfinder is familiar to Pentax DSLR users, Bright finder.

Camera Review
I've only shot a few rolls, but I think my beloved old 645 may get jealous. Compared to the original 645, the 645N is noticeably lighter and the ergonomics are much improved. I really enjoy having a shutter speed dial. It shoots even more like a 35mm SLR. The finder is bright, and the information is much easier to use. There is more plastic here, but it actually improves the way the camera shoots. Battery loading is easier as well.

I have not used the camera enough to know whether I will have any problems with the film flatness issue inherent in many 16 exp. 6x4.5 cameras. Perhaps the old metal body will be used for critical focus or on a tripod.

All in all, I'm thrilled, and I don't even own any AF lenses for it yet. I do enjoy the focus confirmation from the AF system, though. The finder is bright enough that it focuses manual lenses very nicely, but the confirmation helps me know I've judged the focus right.

All in all, this is a winner.
Closed Thread