Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #1

My two 67s and 67II just arrived

I'm excited, but the dirty mirrors are bugging me. Is there anything I should be careful of when cleaning them. I know film isn't as problematic as digital, but I don't want to mess things up my first day with the cameras.

Any tips on cleaning these guys up a bit. They look like they've been in a closet for decades.

'njoy,
Mark

06-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
The mirrors are front surfaced aluminum and should be carefully cleaned. A blast of compressed air to rid the largest pieces first. Then clean surface with a sterile cotton ball lightly wetted with isopropyl alcohol, preferably the 100% non diluted kind. Wipe once with the ball, then use a fresh ball. The idea is not to use a dirty cotton ball over and over, possibly scratching the mirror.

Check your mirror foam to make sure they are not deteriorated. They get old and slowly fall apart leaving itself on your mirror. A CLA would help here.
06-18-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Don't clean it until you've tested it

I would test each body as thoroughly as possible before doing any cleaning or reconditioning. If the body is a dud and you wish to return it to the seller, it's best to return it in the same condition as received.

Things to check for (especially in the 67 pre-II bodies):

Insert new battery.

Is the shutter reliable? You'll need to dry-fire the shutter to test it adequately; for pre-II bodies check the manual. Especially check the slow speeds; intermittent problems may result in a shutter that gets stuck open. If this happens depress the reset button and remove/replace the battery if necessary.

Is the film transport reliable? Expose at least one roll of film through each body; look for even spacing between frames. A little bit of variability is okay, overlapping frames are not.
06-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #4

Original Poster
Well I was able to download a manual for the 67II, but the 67s have me a bit puzzled. Many of the nobs/switches are in different places and I can't seem to get the back off.

Know where I might find a PDF for the 67 book?

'njoy,
Mark

06-19-2009, 06:33 AM   #6

Original Poster
Disregard previous post . . . found this guide for the 67.

Pentax 67 SLR, Pentax 2 1/4 instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals

All three cameras are clean now and seem to be in working order. Thanks for the cleaning tips.

'njoy,
Mark
06-19-2009, 08:20 PM   #7

Is it just me or are there other people who think that Pentax 6x7 and 645 stuff are being snapped up a lot more these days? I've noticed that online stores have much fewer on stock these days.
06-20-2009, 04:28 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
I've noticed prices have gone up on the used market. They had fallen and I got some great deals (2007), but now the prices are very high. Market driven? They are sought after more than we think. Possibly.