Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2009, 12:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

What "outdoors" film?

What outdoors film should I use? For type, I'm thinking negatives - I've read that they are more "forgiving" and I'm new to film, so probably should stick to that for now. Then, I'm thinking what brand and model. I've shot 3 rolls of Portra 160, don't know about results yet. I'm trying to find a low-ISO film, so far the lowest I've seen is 160. Any pointers here? From your experience, what negative film is the "best" for outdoors (in terms of saturation, color, etc)?

07-05-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
What outdoors film should I use? For type, I'm thinking negatives - I've read that they are more "forgiving" and I'm new to film, so probably should stick to that for now. Then, I'm thinking what brand and model. I've shot 3 rolls of Portra 160, don't know about results yet. I'm trying to find a low-ISO film, so far the lowest I've seen is 160. Any pointers here? From your experience, what negative film is the "best" for outdoors (in terms of saturation, color, etc)?
Your thinking is correct -- C41 (negative) is much more forgiving of exposure errors than E6 (slide).

IMHO the less contrasty C41 films (Kodak Portra 160NC, Fuji 160S) work fine outdoors; you can increase saturation and contrast post-scan as desired.

For slower, more contrasty medium-format C41 film try Kodak Ektar 100 (a little hard to find in 120) or perhaps Fuji Reala (quite hard to find in 120, but more reliable with skin tones).

E6 is nice if you want to test your metering, or if you want to directly view the whole roll and scan or print only a few exposures -- I'd suggest Fuji Provia 100 to start.
07-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Are you mostly shooting images with people in the frame? Portraits? Landscapes? Seascapes? In the mountains at altitude? Macro? Floral? Home and garden? Winter scenes? Fashion? Outdoor sports? Outdoor weddings? Different situations will effect which film would be a theoretical "best." Like the vast majority of outdoor photographers still shooting film, I only shoot E6 slide film so can't give any direction regarding negative film.
07-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
pbo
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm looking for a good (okay, not "best") film to start with film photography. I'm shooting mostly "cityscapes", some buildings and stuff, sometimes portraits too. It's pretty much everything that I think is worth the shot and film.
Anyways, I just got some Fuji 160S, will see how that works out...

07-06-2009, 06:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like Portra 160 and 400 for color negative work - you shouldplay around with them to see when you might like VC versus NC formulations. Also, give Kodak's new Ektar a whirl. I have a pro pack of it to start with. Early reviews are very positive The New Kodak Ektar Film in 120 – A Quick Review The Figital Revolution
07-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #6
pbo
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll see how I did with portra vc and nc soon enough. I don't think Ektar has 220 rolls, and I don't really want to get a 120 insert for the camera...
07-07-2009, 06:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
I'll see how I did with portra vc and nc soon enough. I don't think Ektar has 220 rolls, and I don't really want to get a 120 insert for the camera...
you'll be missing out b/c most film nowadays is in 120
07-07-2009, 11:09 AM   #8
pbo
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
you'll be missing out b/c most film nowadays is in 120
There's still some in 220... I'm buying any more equipment until I see the results