Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #1

Pentax 645-N viewfinder icon

Are there any users with experience with a Pentax 645N out there? I had been using the original 645, and just recently picked up a 645N body. Seems like a great camera, and very easy to use, but there is one thing I am wondering about. When I am in aperture priority mode, whenever the shutter speed goes below 1/60th of a second, the lightning bolt flash symbol goes on in the viewfinder and blinks. Is this just some kind of warning that the shutter speed may be too slow to use it hand held or something? Does it have something to do with letting me know there is an option for flash sync? Or does it mean something else? Like I said, the bolt flashes, but the shutter speed does not flash like it would if the scene is too dark. I would like to know what this means, if anyone has experience. I downloaded a manual, but nowhere in it did I find anything about this.

07-14-2009, 04:54 AM   #2

Here is another question about 645N: when in aperture mode, and let's say I set the aperture to F5.6 on the FA 75mm lens, the value displayed in viewfinder toggles between F6.3 or 5.6 depending what I meter. What gives? (same happens at other apertures as well)
07-14-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a couple of 645N bodies as well as A and FA lenses (previously I used the original 645). I think your assumption that it is a simple warning that the shutter speed has fallen below 1/60th of a second shutter speed and the camera is merely suggesting a flash be used is a good one - and one I share with you.

I have not noticed this with my use of the camera, I will give it a go when I get home later today and see what happens.
07-14-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Could it be that the aperture detents are a little 'loose' and the lens-camera communication is not sure which one of those it is set at? Or have you tried it with other aperture settings to see if there is a fluctuation there as well? I would also give the contacts on the lens and camera body a good cleaning to make sure that dirty contacts are not contributing to this problem.

I have not seen this on my 645N and FA 75mm combination. I either have this on aperture priority mode (available light) or on full manual when using studio flashes. So, I pay particular attention to what aperture I am shooting at and have not seen this happen with the FA 75mm, A 120mm, FA 150mm, FA 80-160 or the A 55mm lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by DigitalSlide Quote
Here is another question about 645N: when in aperture mode, and let's say I set the aperture to F5.6 on the FA 75mm lens, the value displayed in viewfinder toggles between F6.3 or 5.6 depending what I meter. What gives? (same happens at other apertures as well)

07-14-2009, 11:37 AM   #5

Thanks yurihuta. I will give it a try when I get home. Otherwise I will make use of the warranty I got it under.

UPDATE: Cleaned the contacts on both body and lens and now it works. Thanks again for the tips (never had this problem with newer, digital bodies or lenses)

Last edited by DigitalSlide; 07-14-2009 at 08:33 PM.