Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2009, 02:28 PM   #16
edl
Veteran Member

Lowell and Nesster both bring up some great points.

I agree it's good to stay in 35mm. I've experimented with MF and the results are fabulous, but it takes a lot of time and skill to obtain optimal results. Simply put, you can't throw a 67II in your bag, go out for a walk and expect to come back with winners (unless your bag includes a tripod, of course).

Workflow-wise, scanning MF takes much longer. My Epson flatbed can do 12 35mm negs or 4 6x6's in the same amount of time.

Of course, the cost of entry into either 35mm or MF is very minimal these days. My MF entrypoint was basically what Nesster suggested, via a Yashica-D TLR on ebay. It was sold by a camera shop and looked used but functions perfectly. Best part, it cost me $22.

If you want to get into 35mm, there is plenty of great equipment here and on ebay for pennies of what they cost new. Any of those would be great entry points. Even better if they are compatible with your current system, or part of your future system plans.

I do think there is something particularly *special* about B&W film though. I don't know if it's dynamic range, tonality, dimensionality, grain or what, but it looks really good to my eyes. That's why in spite of all the digital stuff I have at my disposal I'm going to shoot my future brother-in-law's wedding this weekend with my PZ-1P using Ilford HP5 and FP4. It'll be fun.

08-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

i've been easily scanning 30mpx images from 35mm negs, so consider trying 35mm film camera at first - you can get them cheap, film is cheap, and you'll get the feeling of workflow. also, you can use your lenses on both film and digital.
08-04-2009, 04:35 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've never claimed to be a normal person, so here is a wild idea:
How about testing the waters on MF with a "low end" TLR model like a Yashica Mat 124G? They are not very expensive (I got one for $100) and can give you a flavor for handling and processing MF. True, they are not as easy to work with and it is very limiting compared to MF SLRs but it can be an affordable first step into MF and can help you decide if that's where you want to go.
Just a wild thought......

Thanks,
08-12-2009, 11:38 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I've been following this thread with some interest... as sooner or later I'll want either a MF Pentax or the K-7, though which first

I'll suggest something off to the side a bit: Consider buying a low priced 120 film TLR or folding camera. That's how I started with 120... a folder, then another... then I wanted to focus, so a couple of TLRs... and so on. These machines bring photography to its basics, yet are capable of excellent results, or vintage/artsy ones, depending on the camera. Apart from two exceptions, I haven't paid more than $40 for any camera... and found some very good ones indeed. A nice Yashica Mat or Diacord (or Rollei, or Minolta... etc) really gets you into the MF experience.

What I end up lacking - the lenses don't focus very close, and of course aren't interchangeable. Therefore, the yen for a Pentax...
The Mamiya C series TLRs did have interchangeable lenses. Great ones too, but they are pretty heavy for a TLR.

I would look at the Mamiya RB67 system too if you are ok with lugging around a very heavy camera. They are getting so cheap it's ridiculous, and the lenses are great. RB stands for Rotating Back, and the back does indeed rotate between horizontal and vertical format which is a pretty neat feature.