Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Film Life

Can anyone say how long film will last past the expiry date? . I have a 6x7II which I haven't used very much lately. I had 120 film given to me (Fuji NPH, NPC, Kodak Portra, T-Max) by my boss who shoots Hasselblad Some of the expiry dates go back to 2005 up to 2008. I've had them in the fridge since I got them. I'd hate to spend the money on processing only to find out the film is dead.
Finding this forum has rekindled my interest in this format/hobby, seeing all the amazing images being produced on digital has been inspiring. I first got interested in photography with a K1000 and seeing MF images blew me away. Now I just need an economical way to scan the negs!
Thanks in advance for your answers and for the inspiration!

08-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Avenger Quote
Can anyone say how long film will last past the expiry date? . I have a 6x7II which I haven't used very much lately. I had 120 film given to me (Fuji NPH, NPC, Kodak Portra, T-Max) by my boss who shoots Hasselblad Some of the expiry dates go back to 2005 up to 2008. I've had them in the fridge since I got them. I'd hate to spend the money on processing only to find out the film is dead.
Finding this forum has rekindled my interest in this format/hobby, seeing all the amazing images being produced on digital has been inspiring. I first got interested in photography with a K1000 and seeing MF images blew me away. Now I just need an economical way to scan the negs!
Thanks in advance for your answers and for the inspiration!
IMO you should be OK with this film which isn't seriously out of date and if they haven't been abused before you got them I wouldn't be afraid to use the film. I don't think I would use it for commercial work, but for your own use, I doubt seriously if you will notice and degradation. The manufacturers are pretty conservative when it comes to predicting film life span.
08-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

A sister in law of mine got some 15 year old film developed that had been moved around, hangin out in cars, attics, basments....

some color shift but ok for the most part.
08-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
A sister in law of mine got some 15 year old film developed that had been moved around, hangin out in cars, attics, basments....

15 year old film!!! That's like making a time capsule! Must have been a hoot looking at those pics

08-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
Pentaxian

BW film kept in the freezer will last a very long time. Here is some 20 year old 135 Panatomic-X I've had stashed away and finally pulled it out and gave it a try: View a bigger picture here.

Taken with a Pentax ME Super SE with a SMC Pentax-A 50mm ƒ1.2 lens loaded with FX402

Last edited by tuco; 08-08-2009 at 04:50 PM.
08-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
BW film kept in the freezer will last a very long time. Here is some 20 year old 135 Panatomic-X I've had stashed away and finally pulled it out and gave it a try: View a bigger picture here.

Taken with a Pentax ME Super SE with a SMC Pentax-A 50mm ƒ1.2 lens loaded with FX402
I've stored all of my film and paper in the deep freeze. Seems that when that stuff is frozen it degrades very little. Some of it is at least 15 years old. I wouldn't be afraid to use it.
08-17-2009, 07:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote

If it is color negative film, I've gotten color shift from processed film as well, and even more from paper prints after a few decades. It's why I finally sprung for a Coolscan 9000.