Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2009, 11:53 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Selling my Canon 5D, please recommend me a 645 set

To make a long story short: I really like the FF sensor of the 5D, but I hate the camera and its controls. But I keep missing the great results I got on film, so I want to try MF. To finance that I will get rid of the 5D. I've also bought "some" overdate films in the last few weeks, and I now have some 100 of them in my fridge (mainly Velvia 50, Velvia 100F and Provia 100F). I paid less than $1 for each film...

As I'm mainly an outdoor photographer, I think that the 645 is the best camera for me. I've thought about a 6x7, but I'm not the person to always take a tripod with me. So... I want to buy a 645.

AF is not important to me, but I would not mind if the camera allows AF lenses. So I guess the 645N/NII would be a good buy?

About the lenses... Which ones should I at least get knowing that I'm a nature photographer? Coming sunday, there's a large photographica fair in Doesburg in The Netherlands and I'm sure I'll find the camera there.

I was already offered a 645N with 75/3,5 A, 150/3,5 A, 200/4,0 A. The guy selling this will also be in Doesburg. Price not known yet.

08-21-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would recommend the 645N/645NII route. Pentax still services them. The much brighter viewfinder is also a very welcome improvement over the older 645. You could get an original 645 as a backup - one nice aspect is if you like start trails, the original 645 will work for many more hours than the 645N in bulb mode.

Lenses, lenses, lenses. Tough question. What kind of nature photography do you like to do? Landscapes? Animals? Macro?
09-01-2009, 03:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think I'll go for the 645... I quite like the old design and I don't have a problem with a darker viewfinder.

(This set consists of the 645 + 35mm + 45mm + 75mm + 150mm).

09-01-2009, 07:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very nice lens selection! You can still purchase after market focusing screens that are much brighter for the Pentax 645.

09-01-2009, 07:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Just FYI - - you can get a low cost adapter for Pentacon 6 mount to P645, and I think a Hassy one as well... which increases the selection of lenses.
09-01-2009, 08:12 AM   #6
D W
Veteran Member

That is a good setup to get started. However you have to see which film holder is included. IMHO 220 is less useful than 120, there is less choice of emulsions.
For the original 645 the best upgrade I installed was the beattie bright screen with gridlines.
My only personal peeve about it are the buttons when I am used to a dial to control settings. But I was using it in the studio for fast motorized 120 shooting and most of the time it was set at X sync speed.

BTW in the photo posted there is no 75mm lens, but there is a full set of extension tubes. If you do macro the 120Macro is a must get. Another must have lens if you use the focal length is the FA300/4EDIF. These two lenses are so good that I use them on Dslr with the adapter despite not having any lens automation.
P6 to Pentax 645 mount give you more options for low cost optics. Some are actually very good performers. It also opens up lenses which are not in the Pentax arsenal (I have and still uses when called for - Hartblei super rotator tilt shift 45/3.5, Arsat 30mm fisheye)
Hassy C to Pentax 645 adapter is available, but due to the in lens shutter it is very hard to use the lenses at apertures beside wide open. There is not any significant cost savings buying hassy c lenses just for this purpose.
There is also a adapter to use Pentax 67 lenses on the 645 which has lens automation mechanism built in. This works better with longer lenses. I use one with the P67-400/4EDIF. Another superb lens.
09-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote

As I'm mainly an outdoor photographer, I think that the 645 is the best camera for me. I've thought about a 6x7, but I'm not the person to always take a tripod with me. So... I want to buy a 645.
You can shoot a Pentax 67 just as easy/hard hand held as the Pentax 645. If you need a tripod for the 67, you'll need one for the 645 too except for a narrow range of fringe shots.

I feel the 645 is still a small negative. But it has more automagic features for quicker shooting, I guess. Shooting the 67 with a metered TTL prism configuration is just like a Pentax K1000 except for size and the inconvenience that may bring. But put on a folding hood and its weight/size is significantly reduced and you have a pretty good range of the kind of shots you can do in that configuration.

Last edited by tuco; 09-01-2009 at 12:20 PM.
09-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks guys! Here's what I brought home yesterday

Of the bunch, the 35mm is WELL used but good. The other items are easily EXC+ to EXC++. I'll definitely look into those adapters.

Interestingly, the screen is not dark but large and bright (at least I think it is; focusing in dim light is extremely easy).

All in all I'm quite happy and it's a good thing I have a freezer with almost 100 single rolls of 120 format film (Velvia 50, Provia 100, etc), most of them overdate.

09-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
Pentaxian

What a score.
09-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Thanks guys! Here's what I brought home yesterday

Of the bunch, the 35mm is WELL used but good. The other items are easily EXC+ to EXC++. I'll definitely look into those adapters.

Interestingly, the screen is not dark but large and bright (at least I think it is; focusing in dim light is extremely easy).

All in all I'm quite happy and it's a good thing I have a freezer with almost 100 single rolls of 120 format film (Velvia 50, Provia 100, etc), most of them overdate.
Wow, congrats. Looking forward to your work from it