Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2009, 10:30 PM   #16

Hartblei made a very few 55/4.5 Super-Rotators in Pentax 67 mount. No longer. I emailed them and asked if they were planning on making more. No luck. I also asked if they could modify the 67's 45/4 to allow tilt, no luck there either. If there's a machining wizard out there it could be done.

09-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Salgado is touring the world with a Pentax 645N. Here are two shots, showing the importance of enough DoF :
Hum, he must not have a good scanner. Those shots are mighty blurry with excessive contrast and less than stellar tone range.
09-05-2009, 09:58 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by surfotog Quote
Hartblei made a very few 55/4.5 Super-Rotators in Pentax 67 mount. No longer. I emailed them and asked if they were planning on making more. No luck. I also asked if they could modify the 67's 45/4 to allow tilt, no luck there either. If there's a machining wizard out there it could be done.
I've come across the 55/4.5 Super-Rotators in Pentax mount several times used. People also use the Hartblei lenses on DSLR K-mount with adaptor.
Here is another thread about it :
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=31501847

There were actually one for sale in the marketplace, though for a steep price :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/35522-sale-55mm...lens-67-a.html
the 65 mm TS was at a better price :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/33698-sale-hart...-like-new.html

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Hum, he must not have a good scanner. Those shots are mighty blurry with excessive contrast and less than stellar tone range.
I doubt they put the highest quality JPEG's out for web display.

Last edited by Jonson PL; 09-05-2009 at 10:14 PM.
09-06-2009, 12:21 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
I doubt they put the highest quality JPEG's out for web display.
I doubt it too but nevertheless I don't think compression is the cause.

Last edited by tuco; 09-06-2009 at 02:13 PM.
10-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Btw, I came across info on the Hartblei 35 mm T&S lens used on Pentax DSLR :
Hartblie 35mm Tilt/Shift Fall Landscape: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

People will go to all kinds of measures to increase the DOF with their 67's. There's a Bay area Physicist/ photographer named Leping Zha who loosenened the mounts of his 55mm lenses and put shims in, creating a lens with a permanent tilt, for increased DOF in near/far compositions. He has two, one for verticals and one for horizontal shots.
It's too bad Pentax never made a WA tilt lens for the 67, it would have been very popular with the landscape shooters.
And thanks again for your info, on people creating tilt with 67 lenses.
Are tilt & Shift lenses primarily, for helping to get all within DoF ?

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I doubt it too but nevertheless I don't think compression is the cause.
I just bought one of his Africa books. I wanted to get Man in Distress, but at 230 $ used, it was a bit too steep for me.
But I can clearly see, how he is held as one of our greatest photographers still present. And why Darren M. lined him all the way up there, along Steve McCurry, Dorothy Lange, Alfred Eisenstaedt, Yousef Karsh, Arnold Newman, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Alberto Kosta, Neil Leifer, etc.
Darren in Taiwan ... or Somewhere Else

The Sahel book I got, shows well exposed and processed work, with fine sharpness from those Leica optics. Most of all, it is very powerful stuff.
But I’ve seen many pictures from photographers that I liked, when in reproduction on the web, doesn’t come out in adequate quality. (Mainly due to the ones showing them, not having the license to do so, and just posting low res copies).