Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2009, 05:23 PM   #16
D W
Veteran Member

If it is a problem with seeing details on the focus screen there is a magnifier that you can get to enlarge the centre of the screen.

One of the aftermarket ones might fit. The OEM one screws in and then flip up out of the way. I find it very useful for critical focusing.

10-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
Hello John, the camera feels really nice in my hands. I developed my first roll of film from the camera lastnight. On the negatives I do see images but of course I can't see how in focus they are (focusing has always been my issue with age and diabetes). But tonighit I'm planning on scanning them and I will post the results here in this thread to show how the camera and I did. I wish I could have went for the 645N or Nii but I just couldn't handle that price tag all at once. Maybe if I see my focusing is still an issue I might try and sell this one and find a 645N in a month or two for my finances to be able to handle it.

Thanks
Jim
Thanks Jim, I appreciate the update. I look forward to seeing what you and your new friend can team up together and do.

I was browsing threw your web site the other night, some wonderful shots you have there.

Best regards,

John
10-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Updated with Pictures from first roll

Well here are the results of the first roll of film I put through my Pentax 645 hand held. For the most part the photos are really close to being in focus in fact a few are spot on. These were These were taken using Kodak TMAX 400 black and white film and f8. They were scanned on a Epson Perfection 4490 flat bed scanner.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to work/sharpen my focusing I sure would appreciate it. Most of my shots with this will be on a tripod or monopod doing landscapes.

Thanks D.W. I will look into one of the magnifiers.

Thanks John, I hope these shots help you to want the Pentax 645 just a little bit more. It is a great camera.

Thanks
Jim
10-15-2009, 05:53 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If anyone has any suggestions on how to work/sharpen my focusing I sure would appreciate it. Most of my shots with this will be on a tripod or monopod doing landscapes.

1) with landscapes focusing is usually less than critical, in favor of hyperfocal considerations, no?

2) the old time manual focus advice: practice, practice. In good light, practice focusing - from both directions (near -> far, far -> near), paying attention to the way the image looks in the ground glass and in the center focus aids. Ideally, you learn to focus quickly and positively, without hunting. Hunting I find kills any ability most often. Confidence and technique.

Though in darkness and murk, it's still difficult.

ps. I'm glad to see the camera's working, and the samples show the MF quality in spades, even with the wobbles in focus

10-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote

1) with landscapes focusing is usually less than critical, in favor of hyperfocal considerations, no?

2) the old time manual focus advice: practice, practice. In good light, practice focusing - from both directions (near -> far, far -> near), paying attention to the way the image looks in the ground glass and in the center focus aids. Ideally, you learn to focus quickly and positively, without hunting. Hunting I find kills any ability most often. Confidence and technique.

Though in darkness and murk, it's still difficult.

ps. I'm glad to see the camera's working, and the samples show the MF quality in spades, even with the wobbles in focus
Thanks Nesster, I am planning on getting out this weekend and run through a couple of rolls of film with this camera setup. It is supposed to be sunny so I should be able to practice on my manual focusing.

Thanks
Jim
10-15-2009, 08:42 AM   #21
Veteran Member

it won't hurt practicing without film either...
10-15-2009, 08:43 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Thanks Jim, Nice job on the first roll. Yes that format is definetly on my list. Hopefully in the next six months, It looks like I may be in the Denver area soon, we are looking at a business in that area. Maybe we can get together and share info.

Talk to you later and look forward to seeing more.

John
10-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skinja Quote
Thanks Jim, Nice job on the first roll. Yes that format is definetly on my list. Hopefully in the next six months, It looks like I may be in the Denver area soon, we are looking at a business in that area. Maybe we can get together and share info.

Talk to you later and look forward to seeing more.

John
Thanks John, let me know when you are going to be in Denver and we can meet up someplace. If you have a extra day or two we might even be able to go and shoot some also.

Thanks
Jim

10-18-2009, 08:52 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well yesterday I put a couple of rolls through the Pentax 645 and they didn't come out to bad they are listed in the post your photos section. They don't seem to be as sharp as the images that I get from my K20D and lenses. Is this just the way it is with the film cameras?

D W is this the magnifier you are talking about? Pentax 5.5x Super Multi Coated Magnifier Loupe w/ Transparency stand - 60051 FREE S&H 60051. Pentax Magnifiers. Or is there another you were commenting on. I think I need something to give my just a little bit more help.

Thanks
Jim
10-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #25
D W
Veteran Member

Well yesterday I put a couple of rolls through the Pentax 645 and they didn't come out to bad they are listed in the post your photos section. They don't seem to be as sharp as the images that I get from my K20D and lenses. Is this just the way it is with the film cameras?

D W is this the magnifier you are talking about? Pentax 5.5x Super Multi Coated Magnifier Loupe w/ Transparency stand - 60051 FREE S&H 60051. Pentax Magnifiers. Or is there another you were commenting on. I think I need something to give my just a little bit more help.

Thanks
Jim
This is the one I am using but it is not at B&H. It is an eyepiece that screw onto the finder.

Finder System[For 645NII] : Accessories : Film Cameras : PENTAX

Might not be available directly in North America and EU, Asian and home market only.
10-19-2009, 09:24 AM   #26
Pentaxian

They don't seem to be as sharp as the images that I get from my K20D and lenses. Is this just the way it is with the film cameras?

Jim
I can't say for a 645 with its smaller projected image on 120 roll. I've never used one. But I've seen very impressive 645 work before. Your sharpness as seen as a digital conversion online is also a function of your post processing in the graphics editor and how good your scanner is. So learning to shoot film and processing for digital view is a learned skill that doesn't happen over night if this is new to you.

Last edited by tuco; 10-19-2009 at 09:29 AM.
10-19-2009, 11:44 AM   #27
D W
Veteran Member

The "weakest link" in the process is the skill of the scanner operator and the scanner to get the best results from film into a digital file.
I equate it to doing test print, reviewing them and correcting colour, exposure, burn dodge. It is a set of skill that takes time to learn to do right and time to master.
10-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #28

All this new found enthusiasm about the 645 has rekindled my interest in my long ago format. I sold all of my 645 years ago, but recently have started getting scans of my old negs after listening to all of the 645 banter.

Practice that focus, the 645 screen is very precise, objects should "snap" in and out of focus . And for sure, the scanner (person & equipment) are important. The processing of film is important as well.

Here is a recent budget scan of some old film, not a real big file, while not the IQ of my K20D, its is still acceptable. Next time i will get a better scan...maybe

Pentax 645 150mm f3.5 @ 3.5

Last edited by ramair455; 10-23-2009 at 12:04 PM.
10-19-2009, 04:34 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Here is a home-scanned shot on my 67 that I did not fill the frame well at all and is really cropped. I'd say it would be equal to a 645 if you filled the frame with the subject. My processing after scan includes: Tone adjustment with color curve, Smart Sharpen, 10% Regular Sharpen, Remove Haze and Scale the image to size.

165mm ƒ4 LS, ƒ8 @1/60th, Yellow filter.

10-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow great scans Tuco and ramair455. Those are two sharp scans. I have ordered me a 645N body from KEH. My eyes just aren't able to focus anymore. So I should have sharp negatives and now I will start figuring the scanning part out. I do use Vuescan with my scans and have the output at 8 1/2 x 11 and resolution at 4800 dpi (I think I mentioned that already).

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Thanks
Jim