Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax 645 on its way to me.

Woohoo, I just ordered my Pentax 645 with a 120 and 220 back and a SMC A-75mm f2.8 lens. I have also already ordered a 5 pack of the Kodak TMAX 100 and TMAX 400 120 size. The reason I went with those two is because I really like my results in my Pentax ZX-5. I can't wait for them to get here. Oh and I found out that Wolf Camera processes 120 film but they don't scan them. I will use them for the first couple of rolls of film through the camera to make sure it works correctly. So that is fine because I can scan them on my Epson Perfection 4490. I already have the 58 mm filters that will fit on this 645 lens so I don't need to buy them. Oh I'm soo excited. Along with this I will be going out tomorrow to see if I can find any bears to photograph with my K20d and Bigma and my Pentax ZX-5.

Thanks for everyones input on my other thread I really appreciate it.

Thanks
Jim Browning

10-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Woohoo indeed Jim! I have fond memories of unpacking and using my Pentax 645. It is a treat, especially the large viewfinder. Have fun with it!
10-09-2009, 08:02 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Congratulations, just recently I purchased 2 Mamiya C220 med. format and wanted to use them more so I have been studying developing b&w film, not really hard to do, you should check it out! Good Luck!
10-09-2009, 08:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks yurihuta and hans4. Yep I got the camera on Wednesday and Thursday I got the 120 black and white film. I am waiting for Wolf camera to open so I can run it by to them so they can develop this first roll so I can make sure the camera is ok then I will start developing my own. I have developed a few rolls of 35 mm black and white film already.

Thanks
Jim

10-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You should be flabbergasted with those films, at the distance between 35mm and med format... it can be difficult to go back...

You should consider setting up for home development - 120 is actually easier than 35mm, provided you have a plastic type of reel - and will be cheaper than running to Wolf. But all in good time.

Here's from my first roll (Delta 100) in the P645:
10-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Nesster, well I just got back from Wolf and they tell me they send out their black and white film to be developed. So I guess I will be developing this roll of film when I get home tonight. Like I said, I have developed 35mm film before so it shouldn't be a big deal. I will let you all know how it turns out. If you hear a loud scream coming from Colorado way, I might have made a little mistake.

Thanks
Jim
10-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Getting the film off the roll is EASY compared to 35mm - and you don't actually need scissors as you can just rip the tape attaching one end of the film to the backing paper. The only trickier part is the film is a bit more floppy, but if you have one of those plastic reels where you turn one side back and forth to snake the film in, there should be no problem.

Good luck, I hope to see the results soon.

BTW, there's one annoying thing about the 4490 / 645 combo: the frame spacing is just wide enough that you can only scan 2 frames at a time using the standard 120 holder.
10-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Getting the film off the roll is EASY compared to 35mm - and you don't actually need scissors as you can just rip the tape attaching one end of the film to the backing paper. The only trickier part is the film is a bit more floppy, but if you have one of those plastic reels where you turn one side back and forth to snake the film in, there should be no problem.

Good luck, I hope to see the results soon.

BTW, there's one annoying thing about the 4490 / 645 combo: the frame spacing is just wide enough that you can only scan 2 frames at a time using the standard 120 holder.
Thanks Nesster. Yes I have one of the plastic reels that are adjustable to be able to be used on 35mm or 120 or 220 film. Thanks for the heads up about the 4490 and 120 film also. I will see how that works but probably not till tomorrow after the film dries.

Thanks
Jim

10-12-2009, 09:36 PM   #9
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
For me it can only do 2 frames, and half of the third (I started using a Bronica etr-si again, 645 fromat as well)! I mean, the light strip on top is much longer than that, I really wish the opening was just a bit longer...

I have recently decided to develop my own film, and just ordered some supplies from freestyle, can't wait!! Diafine, and random films - fomapan 400, ilford hp5, and c-41 fuji 400
can't wait can't wait can't wait....

By the way, Nesster, have you tried scanning 12 negs arranged in sleeves sorta like a contact sheet? Does that even work out?
10-13-2009, 04:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote

By the way, Nesster, have you tried scanning 12 negs arranged in sleeves sorta like a contact sheet? Does that even work out?
It works, though of course you only can do one strip at a time... and dust gets in the way... but I have a few on flickr that I did through the plastic. The holder's better.
10-13-2009, 09:29 AM   #11
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
It works, though of course you only can do one strip at a time... and dust gets in the way... but I have a few on flickr that I did through the plastic. The holder's better.
Obviously the holder is better But I was thinking that, just for the convenience, I'll put my film into the sleeve sheet (got 100 pack of sheets from iconUSA for 6 bucks!!!), and scan the sheet first - just to get an idea of what to scan in the holder. Then scan in holder.
I'm thinking about cutting my film in strips of 2 - because of the holder issue - but then I'll have one frame all alone... Gotta get the sleeve sheets first, develop the film, and then see how that fits.
10-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote

If you get a small light table and a loupe, you'll learn to read your negatives and you may find scanning in batches is not necessary in order to decide which ones are worth a full scan and edit. It works for me anyway.
10-13-2009, 11:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Hey Jim, Just wondered how you and that 645 are getting along, it's been something I wanted to try for some time but I have never made the jump. It may still be a while before it happens, I'm just curious on how you are liking it so far?

John

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
Woohoo, I just ordered my Pentax 645 with a 120 and 220 back and a SMC A-75mm f2.8 lens. I have also already ordered a 5 pack of the Kodak TMAX 100 and TMAX 400 120 size. The reason I went with those two is because I really like my results in my Pentax ZX-5. I can't wait for them to get here. Oh and I found out that Wolf Camera processes 120 film but they don't scan them. I will use them for the first couple of rolls of film through the camera to make sure it works correctly. So that is fine because I can scan them on my Epson Perfection 4490. I already have the 58 mm filters that will fit on this 645 lens so I don't need to buy them. Oh I'm soo excited. Along with this I will be going out tomorrow to see if I can find any bears to photograph with my K20d and Bigma and my Pentax ZX-5.

Thanks for everyones input on my other thread I really appreciate it.

Thanks
Jim Browning
10-14-2009, 11:52 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skinja Quote
Hey Jim, Just wondered how you and that 645 are getting along, it's been something I wanted to try for some time but I have never made the jump. It may still be a while before it happens, I'm just curious on how you are liking it so far?

John

Hello John, the camera feels really nice in my hands. I developed my first roll of film from the camera lastnight. On the negatives I do see images but of course I can't see how in focus they are (focusing has always been my issue with age and diabetes). But tonighit I'm planning on scanning them and I will post the results here in this thread to show how the camera and I did. I wish I could have went for the 645N or Nii but I just couldn't handle that price tag all at once. Maybe if I see my focusing is still an issue I might try and sell this one and find a 645N in a month or two for my finances to be able to handle it.

Thanks
Jim
10-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
...On the negatives I do see images but of course I can't see how in focus they are...
Jim
With a light table and loupe you can see how sharp your negatives are.

BTW, were you aware that on a 67 with a waist level finder it has a magnifying glass for critical focus? Your vision would have to be extremely poor not to get a sharp focus with that. But, of course, you would forgo all the automatic and convenience features of a 645.