Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Suggstions on a neck strap for my new (to me) Pentax 645.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello everyone. First off I would like to thank everyone who helped me decided about getting a Pentax 645 mf camera. Well I have received my 645 and shot the first roll of film here inside since it came without a neck strap. Does anyone have any suggestions on a neck strap for this beast? I'm guessing no lightweight strap will do. I will be taking walks with this in my hands.

I'm sure I will be back later about a bag to carry it in and maybe a 200 or 300mm lens for it also in time.

Thanks
Jim Browning

10-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
Hello everyone. First off I would like to thank everyone who helped me decided about getting a Pentax 645 mf camera. Well I have received my 645 and shot the first roll of film here inside since it came without a neck strap. Does anyone have any suggestions on a neck strap for this beast? I'm guessing no lightweight strap will do. I will be taking walks with this in my hands.

I'm sure I will be back later about a bag to carry it in and maybe a 200 or 300mm lens for it also in time.

Thanks
Jim Browning
Well, do you have the strap lugs, or are you down to the posts?

I like the Optech ...what are they called, 'Pro strap' or something, (with the boomerang-shaped neoprene pads) on my medium format, those are available with the clips (I forget if Pentax takes the A or B type ones.) if you don't have the stock ones.

If you do have the stock ones, you can use near anything you like: IIRC those have little wings that help prevent the strap from getting in the way while reloading.
10-08-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Well, do you have the strap lugs, or are you down to the posts?

I like the Optech ...what are they called, 'Pro strap' or something, (with the boomerang-shaped neoprene pads) on my medium format, those are available with the clips (I forget if Pentax takes the A or B type ones.) if you don't have the stock ones.

If you do have the stock ones, you can use near anything you like: IIRC those have little wings that help prevent the strap from getting in the way while reloading.
Hi Ratmagiclady, mine came with just the posts sticking out of the camera body and nothing attached to them.

Thanks
Jim
10-08-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Ratmagiclady, mine came with just the posts sticking out of the camera body and nothing attached to them.

Thanks
Jim
Well, let me see if I have a decent snap of one of my Optechs online. Err, nope. Here's a random Ebay listing for one, where you can see:

Optech USA COMFY Wide GEL Neck Strap - HASSELBLAD Lugs - eBay (item 280405180540 end time Oct-11-09 13:36:28 PDT)

I'm not having any luck so far finding pics of the stock clips, yet. Ones from the LX or 6x7 will fit, by the way, they just lack those 'wings' I mentioned.

10-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Well, let me see if I have a decent snap of one of my Optechs online. Err, nope. Here's a random Ebay listing for one, where you can see:

Optech USA COMFY Wide GEL Neck Strap - HASSELBLAD Lugs - eBay (item 280405180540 end time Oct-11-09 13:36:28 PDT)

I'm not having any luck so far finding pics of the stock clips, yet. Ones from the LX or 6x7 will fit, by the way, they just lack those 'wings' I mentioned.
Is this the site you were looking for?

Super Pro Strap | Demo Page

That site says the Pentax 645 is the style B design.

Thanks
Jim
10-08-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Is this the site you were looking for?

Super Pro Strap | Demo Page

That site says the Pentax 645 is the style B design.

Thanks
Jim
Aha, there you are. Anyway, I like them, and I think they're about the most affordable/readily-available solution. You could get a bargain on a Mamiya one, possibly, though those tend to run to the more expensive.

Hey, actually, I might have an extra set, come to think of it, but I'm not sure if I already gave them away.

(after a peek around. Aha. That's right. I've got this skinny strap that I wasn't expecting to come with my Mamiya. One would have to cut the old strap off to use the clips. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 10-08-2009 at 10:07 PM.