Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Equipment Sourcing Knowledge

I thought I'd ask if anyone has any experience or knows much about the subject of Equipment Sourcing.

I have been looking for a 67, SMC Pentax M* 300mm ED IF lens. And apparently Pentax only wants its Japanese customers to enjoy access to it. And apparently Pentax USA will not let any authorized Pentax sellers to bypass them and deal directly with Pentax of Japan. I've asked two stores to order it for me and they said they can't and that Pentax will not sell medium format in the USA.

Japan Eposures is a website I found that says they will search for your equipment request and handle the transaction of buying it in Japan and sending you the item for a small fee. Does anyone have any experience with this process?

Last edited by tuco; 10-16-2009 at 02:30 PM.
10-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have seen another one of these type of businesses, but have no experience with either. I can't locate the link to the other business that does something very similar. I did send them a request for some parts though and will try to remember to report back if they reply.
10-16-2009, 02:30 PM   #3
D W
Veteran Member

BIC, Yobadashi (sp) and Matsuiya (sp) are three big photo electronics chain. At the larger centre store I have seen NIB 67 and 645 bodies and lenses. There might be a Pentax embargo about shipping some of these goods out of Japan. The 645NII and 67 are still available new but they are not modifying the manufacturing process to meet foreign specs so none is being exported out of Asia.

I have heard of these buy and ship for you outfits in Japan and HongKong, due to my extensive travel to Asia I never had to use their services.

However the bargain to be had are the smaller store near the Udmo and Akihabera stations. These stores are smaller but has big selection of ex to mint SMC lenses for 35mm, 645 and 67.

One other source who ship worldwide is Tin Cheung in Hong Kong. They are the largest pro/high end gear retailer. Sells cameras, lenses and related photographic accessories - Tin Cheung Camera Company. They had new 645 and 67 lenses on display when I was there in Sept this year. They will ship to any country in the world as long as they get paid.

HTH
DW
10-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I know you're looking for the ED version, but have you ever tried the older 300? I've had one for 14 years now and it can get the job done, given you know its idiosyncrasies. See my test of this lens in the lens section.

Agree, the EDIF is nearly impossible to find. Have seen it on KEH in the past.

10-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #5

You should be able to get a new M*300/4 EDIF from Tin Cheung in Hong Kong. I bought one from them earlier this year. The prices have gone up since then. Check the website for the current price, and if you want to buy, email them first to confirm they have it in stock.
If you're not in a rush, KEH seems to get one every few months, but they don't last long. You'll save several hundred dollars going this route. Good luck.
10-18-2009, 04:46 AM   #6
Forum Member

Tin Cheung in Hong Kong is a good store for Pentax equipment, but their website is not up to date. They list just about everything Pentax MF, but only have some of the items, and the actual prices will differ a little from those listed. I called last week and can verify that as of then, they had the Pentax 67 300mm f/4 EDIF and the Pentax 645 300mm f/4 EDIF (both A and FA) in stock, at at good prices; however they did not have the 67 75/2.8 AL and 55-110/4.5 zoom, nor the 645 FA 35/3.5 in stock, even though these lenses are listed on the webpage. Tin Cheung is reputable and you should have no hesitation ordering from them...I've shopped for years at their store when I lived in HK. Give them a call and they can tell you in English right away what they have and don't have. Good luck
10-18-2009, 09:57 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you everybody for the input.

I did try to order form Tin Cheung last week. They said they didn't have it. I asked if they could order it and no word back yet.

I've considered the older 300mm. A friend had one and I've seen many bad results from it. He finally mounted it to a modified video camera rail system that attached to a tripod and the results improved but it was more bulk.

I guess I'll just have to keep my eye open for a used one. I don't like eBay because it seems every time I want some 67 gear from there everyone else does too and I get out bid. Funny, the last thing I bid for was some 67 extension tubes. The price went over what a KEH was offering for excellent condition.

What kind of bugs me is that the lens is still available but Pentax does not want to sell it to the US market. That is not very good customer support. And if they think I'm suppose to give up on my 67 system for their digital offerings someone there must not have any experience with B&W. I just plain refuse to convert my digital to B&W. I'm old-school and consider it imitation B&W. I have a K-7 but don't shoot it much. It is good for when I need to do pictures for other people for sure. But for myself, I like the film effort and the reward of shooting it.

Last edited by tuco; 10-18-2009 at 10:03 AM.
10-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #8

It's not that Pentax Japan doesn't want to sell to the US market, the decision lies with Pentax USA. They decided a couple of years ago to stop carrying Pentax MF equipment. Now they won't even service MF, they have farmed that out to an independent repair facility in Arizona.
I sent you a PM yesterday with the name of a good source in Japan. Give him a try.

Scott

10-30-2009, 10:21 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Update: I sent an inquire for this lens on Japan Exposures equipment sourcing form. They found it right away and I ordered it. It arrived today. Sweet. I got it used in good condition. They were very prompt and responsive and a pleasure to work with. It cost me about $400USD more than the store cost due to finders fee, duty, shipping and a 2.9% Paypal transfer fee because I don't have them tied to my bank account. I give them a highly recommended.

Now if it would stop raining I could go give it a test spin.

Last edited by tuco; 10-30-2009 at 04:33 PM.
10-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Update: I sent an inquire for this lens on Japan Exposures equipment sourcing form. They found it right away and I ordered it. .
I see you can order the custom colored K-x through them for those interested!
10-31-2009, 07:39 AM   #11
D W
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Update: I sent an inquire for this lens on Japan Exposures equipment sourcing form. They found it right away and I ordered it. It arrived today. Sweet. I got it used in good condition. They were very prompt and responsive and a pleasure to work with. It cost me about $400USD more than the store cost due to finders fee, duty, shipping and a 2.9% Paypal transfer fee because I don't have them tied to my bank account. I give them a highly recommended.

Now if it would stop raining I could go give it a test spin.
$400 to find, buy, paypal, pack, ship and document for import is a very fair price. There are many use equipment sellers in Japan who does not feel comfortable dealing internationally in English. BUT yet there are so many 645 and 67 lens, bodies and accessories around and available in Japan and other parts of Asia.

My experience when shopping in Japan is my phase list specific to buying photo gear, photos of what I am looking for and calculator for punching in numbers when negotiating.
10-31-2009, 09:15 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D W Quote
$400 to find, buy, paypal, pack, ship and document for import is a very fair price.
I should mention that the lens is in excellent condition. It came with caps but no case. And he found it for less than half what the online Pentax store in Japan was selling it for new and that includes all the extra fees.