Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sugggestions in color film

Does anyone have suggestions for color film that can be developed at home? I'm guessing with the c-41 process. I normally shot outdoors landscapes and nature. I have been developing my on black and white Tmax 100 and 400 films and am feeling pretty confident in my abilities to develop film.

Thanks
Jim

10-25-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

any film can be developed at home, you just need the patience to do so, it's a lot more work than B&W film
there are C-41 and even E-6 kits as well
10-25-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
D W
Veteran Member

Temperature control is the key to C41 and E6 which are run at 100F. Any C41 or E6 film are developed in the same process; C41 negatives and E6 transparencies.
10-26-2009, 07:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

As said, it doesn't matter what color film you use. I've done C-41 at home. No problem with the process except it is not as convenient as room temperature BW. I think you can get room temperature color chems though.

But the biggest issue for me is that I don't shoot color film frequent enough to make home development practical. The short shelf life of mixed chemicals makes it expensive on a per roll basis. And the Jobo and Unicolor kits I've used don't tell you how many rolls you can develop with their 1 liter kits. They just mention when the negs starts to look bad, it's used up.

10-26-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
D W
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
As said, it doesn't matter what color film you use. I've done C-41 at home. No problem with the process except it is not as convenient as room temperature BW. I think you can get room temperature color chems though.

But the biggest issue for me is that I don't shoot color film frequent enough to make home development practical. The short shelf life of mixed chemicals makes it expensive on a per roll basis. And the Jobo and Unicolor kits I've used don't tell you how many rolls you can develop with their 1 liter kits. They just mention when the negs starts to look bad, it's used up.
The only time I fire up the Jobo is after a trip when I have a batch of E6 to process. There is savings when you are doing a batch of 120 not to mention the time and cost to get to a 120 lab. I just use the chemistry one shot for consistent results.

But other time it is not worth keeping the chemicals around due to spoilage.

I usually shoot 120 C41 film for it can be process in Fuji and Noritsu machines which easier to get to.
10-26-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D W Quote
The only time I fire up the Jobo is after a trip when I have a batch of E6 to process.
I don't have the Jobo processor. I was referring to the Jobo C-41 powder mix press kit which I think is the same thing as the Unicolor except for packaging.

Ha, if you want to see a cool BW agitation machine, check out my home DIY project. for a good laugh.
10-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D W Quote
Temperature control is the key to C41 and E6 which are run at 100F. Any C41 or E6 film are developed in the same process; C41 negatives and E6 transparencies.
I expect the this poster meant to say "same processor" as in the same Jobo. If not, this is incorrect, C41 developing and E6 are entirely different. One has 3 steps, the other, 7. I can easily imagine where a misunderstanding could happen because of the interest in "cross-processing", which mixes film and processing types up, for interesting but wildly inaccurate color with rather unpredictable results.

Temperature control and tight timing of the chemistry and wash steps are key for consistent results for accurate color. I've done a lot of E6 and C41 over the years in my Jobo CPP2. Especially with E6, this bigger Jobo with the digital temp control to 1/4 degree F is quite useful and nice for the bigger tray and more slots for chemistry bottles. There's a wash step that's temp critical right after the first developer that frequently consumes a half gallon or more of tempered water. If you don't have a Jobo or other chemistry-tempering process, I really wouldn't recommend E6. The Lift accessory is very worthwhile for the Jobo, almost necessary with E6.

C41, however, could be done in inversion tanks pretty easily. Color print films have the advantage of the additional color correction step potential in printing. Both can be corrected during or after scanning, but that's a lot more work when there are color crossovers in the shadows from poor development.

Last edited by Ivan J. Eberle; 10-30-2009 at 04:54 PM.
10-31-2009, 07:31 AM   #8
D W
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan J. Eberle Quote

There's a wash step that's temp critical right after the first developer that frequently consumes a half gallon or more of tempered water. If you don't have a Jobo or other chemistry-tempering process, I really wouldn't recommend E6. The Lift accessory is very worthwhile for the Jobo, almost necessary with E6.

I keep a 5 gal tank for holding wash water at the same temp as the E6 using immersion heaters for aquariums. This tank is controlled by adding hot/cold water.

The lift is great but I find it necessary to assist when running a long tank with the weight on the end of the tank.