Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2009, 06:54 PM   #1

Pentax 67II vs 6x7\67 with handheld light meter

I've been looking around for what my first MF camera will be and I think I'm going to go with a 67, but I'm not sure if I should get a 6x7 or 67 with a handheld light meter or if it would be worth it to spend about twice as much and get a 67II with AE prism. Any thoughts?

10-26-2009, 05:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I guess that would depend on how serious you plan on getting into MF. If the majority of your shots are going to be with another camera, I'd say going the economy route would be best.

I find the 67 with a waist level finder and a one-degree spot meter covers a lot of bases especially landscape. But obviously not good for candid and handheld portrait compositions. So you'll want a metered TTL prism too. Now it is only a matter of how much you're willing to spend. I would avoid the older, non-mirror lockup version.
10-26-2009, 06:41 AM   #3
Pentaxian

You could also get a 6x7 with a meter prism.
In fact, you could get my 6x7 with a meter prism and a whole slew of accessories.
PM me if interested.

10-26-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

When it comes to the 67II vs the older 67/6x7, it is more about the shooter's ability than the camera itself. Save your money and go for the older version. Be aware that these cameras do wear out, so get a mint one. If it were me, I'd go for a mint 67.

10-26-2009, 09:46 AM   #5

Original Poster
Well, basically I want my setup to be 67 + tripod for when I'm walking around in daylight, 35mm if im biking or need more mobility, then digital for wildlife and night. I'm not really considering the old ttl prism because I don't shoot negatives, and it's an averaging meter. Also, do the 67IIs wear out at the same rate? Because I'd rather spend more money initially than have to spend more on repairs.
10-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iunno Quote
Well, basically I want my setup to be 67 + tripod for when I'm walking around in daylight, 35mm if im biking or need more mobility, then digital for wildlife and night. I'm not really considering the old ttl prism because I don't shoot negatives, and it's an averaging meter. Also, do the 67IIs wear out at the same rate? Because I'd rather spend more money initially than have to spend more on repairs.
I'll have to go back and look at my 100s of rolls of Agfachrome with more wonder that I was able to get the exposure correct at all then.
Really, an averaging meter is the easiest to use.
10-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iunno Quote
Also, do the 67IIs wear out at the same rate? Because I'd rather spend more money initially than have to spend more on repairs.
Couldn't say. But I have had my 6x7 for 20 years and it is still going strong. And I have shot a lot of rolls through it in that time and will shoot a lot more. I picked up a 67 not too long ago as a backup in case the 6x7 needs to head to the shop. I doubt my K-7 will even come close to a useful life that long ;-)
10-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To throw a chip in the non-TTL pool:

I always wanted a Pentax Spotmeter and a high-end Gossen Luna meter back in the days when I couldn't afford either one so when I found recent bargains I snapped 'em up.

I find I tend to challenge myself with interesting exposure problems and confirm my EWAGs with a hand-held meter when I wouldn't bother to dig out a camera. The extra practice pays off and I can supervise the TTL readings with much more efficiency and confidence.

The point being that there are unexpected side benefits in foregoing the AE prism ; besides you can give a supercilious sneer when someone calls you cheap! It's an excuse to get a (another?) high-end meter and you know you'll end up with the AE prism sooner or later anyway!

H2

11-02-2009, 12:28 AM   #9

Lenses:

Super-Multi-Coated Takumar =Middle-generation lens. Multi-coated

smc Takumar
smc Pentax =Latest generation lens Multi-coated.

Bodies 6x7 1969
6x7 MU 1976
67 1989

I'd get the cleanest "67" you can (or two), and I like having both metered prisms on my bodies as well as carrying a handheld.
11-02-2009, 06:55 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by denniswilliams Quote
Lenses:

Super-Multi-Coated Takumar =Middle-generation lens. Multi-coated

smc Takumar
smc Pentax =Latest generation lens Multi-coated.
You can say SMC Pentax is the latest coating but in lens generation it follows:
  • Super Takumar 6X7
  • SMC Takumar 6X7
  • SMC Pentax 6X7
  • SMC Pentax 67

Where many lenses had no optical change between one generation to the next and some did. The 55mm, for example, is optically different between the SMC Pentax 6x7 and SMC Pentax 67 line. And I don't know if we call the SMC Pentax-M and -M* new generations or not.

I would not carry around two TTL prisms. But then again I'm shooting stills or landscape most of the time and don't need it. The WLF with a one-degree spotmeter gives both a better view and metering under those conditions.

Last edited by tuco; 11-02-2009 at 07:12 AM.
11-02-2009, 09:04 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Regarding geneology of M* lenses...I have an M*400EDIF and it's quite old with similar cosmetics to the A* lenses for 35mm--it's whitish with gray knurling for focus ring and gray accents like the bumper on the front of the shade. It's lighter colored than the F* cream color, and if I remember, the F*'s use black knurling on the focus ring. I've owned A* and F* lenses but have none currently. My conclusion is the M*400 could be called "early" though it was made up into the '90's or even later. It was even used in the cover photo for the 67II promotional brochure when that body was released.

I also have the M*300EDIF that was released just after the release of the 67II in around '99 or '00. The lens barrel and focus ring are black and it does not include the bayonet front filter mechanism of the earlier Pentax/Tak 67 format lenses. It is one of the last 4 or 5 lenses released for this format and is definitely a late model.

So M* refers more to highest optical quality and correction than to era. It definitely does not have cosmetic meaning--some white barrel (400 and 800) and at least one with black barrel (300).
11-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #12
Pentaxian

For me the M* designation has been about highest optical performance in their longer lenses. The 55-100 zoom is high performance and is a recent design, however is not M* designated.
11-04-2009, 04:03 PM   #13

I had a Pentax 67 with mirror lock-up. I purchased it used, and twice I had to take it in to get it repaired. The shop I took it to is no longer open. I traded it in for a 67 II, (also used but in good shape) and I have had no problems with it and like it better.

Same film and lenses, but a better viewfinder, better operation - I find the AE prism II to work fine in most applications, but you're welcome to use an external meter as you want. I'd say the II is worth it in the long run, but with either camera when buying used, the camera's condition is important.
11-06-2009, 12:07 AM   #14

Photos: Gallery
I have Pentax 67 with mirror lockup, bought used at adorama.
I have to say it is measuring exposure very good with built in metering.
There is problem with measuring exposures longer than 1second, because it is limit for Pentax 67. For those I use russian Sverdlovsk 4 handheld lightmeter.