Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2009, 10:57 AM   #1

6x7 Focal Plane Shutter

Hello, I'm trying to determine the cause of a plus density soft line on my Neopan 400 negs, 1mm wide, running top to bottom of the film frame held horizontally, and always 1/4 of the way in from the left of the image as the film is situated in the camera, i.e with the image upside down.

It occurs randomly per frame, yet always in the same location. Therefore I think I can rule out light leak. I also don't see how it could be processing agitation error either, stainless steel reels, because it always occurs in the same spot frame to frame, sometimes four in a row.

This leaves me to wonder if the focal plane shutter may have something to do with it , and my question is 1.) what direction does this run? 2.) has anyone seen this occur? 3.) could an older camera have this slight hesitation ( bump) in the movement of the focal plane shutter?

Thank You for any thoughts you might have on this.
Keenwa

10-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Post a picture please.
10-30-2009, 04:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
No scanner. I'm strictly silver. Description not clear enough?
10-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

As I recall, the shutters go from right to left. It does sound like a shutter problem. I have had vertical lines on my frames when using the camera in very cold weather.

10-30-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Were you using a filter in any of those shots.

I had a similar situation. But mine was on both sides and wider at the top than the bottom. It seemed to come and go. Then I noticed it was on every shot where I used two filters one being a ND filter and bright sun to the side or near front of the camera. The filters were not screwed tight to each other and light leaked, apparently, between them causing a difference in exposure.

Can you correlate anything common to the pictures with the streaks and what you were doing?
10-30-2009, 06:46 PM   #6

Original Poster
35mm focal plane shutters travel horizontally, but I'm not sure about the Pentax 6x7. If by chance it snaps top to bottom, I could eliminate the shutter curtain as the cause. I tried to look for it firing the shutter, back open and pointed to a light source, but could not tell.

As for filters. A protective UV, or medium yellow, nothing together.
And subject similarities, outdoors, skies and landscapes, variable light intensity, warm weather.

Thank You
10-31-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
D W
Veteran Member

Shutter in 67 travel horizontally.

You have a shutter problem if the line, when it appears is on the same position corresponding the the orientation of the shutter slit. Something is holding the slit at that position too long.

Time for CLA
10-31-2009, 09:26 AM   #8

Original Poster
CLA it is then.

Thanks mate.