Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2009, 05:15 PM   #16
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington DC, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 553
77EW WIDE-ANGLE LENS HOOD #970 - Schneider Optics

This is from Schneider Optics' website (parent company of B+W) regarding their screw in metal hood for wide angle lenses with a 77mm filter thread. They list that this can be used on wide-angle lenses with up to 70 image angle. Now is the 70 angle for 35mm format (24x36mm film frame) lenses - and would that specification be different for a medium format wide-angle lenses?

The Pentax 645 A 35mm f/3.5 has an angle of view of 90, so does that indicate that this B+W lens hood will cause vignetting? Can anyone out there help this physics challenged photographer with this answer?

from BH PHoto Video website for this screw in, metal lens hood:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/11201-REG/B_W_65069652_77mm_Screw_In_M....html#features

The B+W #920 wide-angle metal lens hood is made of black-anodized aluminum with light-absorbing flat black ribs on the inside and protects against contrast-reducing, uncontrolled, stray light. It is designed for wide-angle (zoom) lenses with angles of view up to 70 wide (approx. 28mm in 35mm format).

- the Pentax 645 A 35mm f/3.5 is equivalent to a 21mm lens in the 35mm format.

Thanks.

Yuri

11-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #17
Pentaxian
Ratmagiclady's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,476
I use a fair number of S&W hoods and step rings: they come in pretty much all shapes and sizes: as a sort of generic brand, they may not always be sold by name on Ebay, but I can name one dealer who has a lot of them. I think they're quite sufficient for a lot of things, (round hard plastic is usually my preference, with metal a close second) and hold up just as well as you may need, to my experience.


What I use with my Mamiya is just one of the big non-foldey rubber Mamiya ones: since it works with both of the lenses I have for it, I actually swap it between them when I change lenses, (cause it's beeeg: also, in my case, the hood wears a step-down ring to the filter size I use, so this keeps it all fairly small. (the Mamiya rides lens-up in a bag, so the hood's size isn't a big issue) You could possibly replicate my scheme with one of those Hama-style three-position hoods, which seem to be nice enough, and conveniently-threaded. )

There's a specific Ebay seller I have gotten a lot of that S&W stuff from, I forget if it's OK to mention someone in particular. But most of his stuff is nice as well as reasonably-priced. The nice thing is he usually has all that stuff in whatever depth and size you may need.

(Oh, and on this: )

"Now is the 70 angle for 35mm format (24x36mm film frame) lenses - and would that specification be different for a medium format wide-angle lenses?"

Nope, angle of view is angle of view. By format and focal length, these will change relatively-speaking, but as long as you know the angle of view of the lens and film size you want to put it on, 70 degrees is seventy degrees.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 11-07-2009 at 07:06 PM.
11-09-2009, 08:55 AM   #18
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lower Left Coast, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 255
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
I have a rigid, rubber (I think that it's rectangular) Mamiya lens hood for a 45mm 645 lens;the front of the lens is 77mm. This hood slides on, over the outer edge of the lens. Don't know what size your lens is.

Check it out: KEH Camera: Mamiya M645 - Hoods and Shades - 45 F2.8 RUBBER (77) PUSH-ON SHADE
Hi Peter, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately KEH doesn't have a photo of the item available. I'm hoping someone who has tried a hood, and knows it works, will reply.
11-09-2009, 09:02 AM   #19
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lower Left Coast, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 255
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yurihuta Quote
B+W makes lens hoods in addition to their filters. They make rubber and metal screw in hoods. I am trying to find out if one of their screw in hoods would work with my 645 A 35mm f/3.5 wide angle.

My 645 A 55mm f/2.8 came with a generic, metal screw in lens hoods that works really well. I should have thought of that when I was looking for a hood for my new 645 A 35mm f/3.5

I'll let you know if I find something suitable.
Thanks Yuri. It looks as though we're in the same boat. When I find something that works, I'll post as well. Then others looking for hoods for these lenses will have an easier time.

11-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #20
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lower Left Coast, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 255
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yurihuta Quote
This is from Schneider Optics' website (parent company of B+W) regarding their screw in metal hood for wide angle lenses with a 77mm filter thread. They list that this can be used on wide-angle lenses with up to 70 image angle.
...
- the Pentax 645 A 35mm f/3.5 is equivalent to a 21mm lens in the 35mm format.

Thanks.

Yuri
Given that 70 is less than the 90 angle of view for the 35/3.5, I'm sure it won't work. And at $47.50 it would be an expensive test.

B&H has a number of hoods for medium format available (Lens Hoods), even for Pentax 645, but none for the wide angles.

Adorama has a better selection of hoods to choose from, but it's still a hit or miss situation. Lens Hoods
11-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #21
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lower Left Coast, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 255
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I use a fair number of S&W hoods and step rings: they come in pretty much all shapes and sizes: as a sort of generic brand, they may not always be sold by name on Ebay, but I can name one dealer who has a lot of them. I think they're quite sufficient for a lot of things, (round hard plastic is usually my preference, with metal a close second) and hold up just as well as you may need, to my experience.


What I use with my Mamiya is just one of the big non-foldey rubber Mamiya ones: since it works with both of the lenses I have for it, I actually swap it between them when I change lenses, (cause it's beeeg: also, in my case, the hood wears a step-down ring to the filter size I use, so this keeps it all fairly small. (the Mamiya rides lens-up in a bag, so the hood's size isn't a big issue) You could possibly replicate my scheme with one of those Hama-style three-position hoods, which seem to be nice enough, and conveniently-threaded. )

There's a specific Ebay seller I have gotten a lot of that S&W stuff from, I forget if it's OK to mention someone in particular. But most of his stuff is nice as well as reasonably-priced. The nice thing is he usually has all that stuff in whatever depth and size you may need.

(Oh, and on this: )

"Now is the 70 angle for 35mm format (24x36mm film frame) lenses - and would that specification be different for a medium format wide-angle lenses?"

Nope, angle of view is angle of view. By format and focal length, these will change relatively-speaking, but as long as you know the angle of view of the lens and film size you want to put it on, 70 degrees is seventy degrees.
Thanks for that. I'll look for S&W stuff and see what might work.
11-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #22
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Westchester Co., NY
Posts: 538
This is a picture of the Mamiya lens hood for the 45mm 645 lens;77mm front. You can see how the back is set up to slide/push on over the outside of the lens.

Mamiya RZ67 Rb67 50mm 65mm m645 45mm push fit lens hood on eBay (end time 10-Nov-09 14:34:56 GMT)

I think that the Mamiya 45mm lens has a 76 degree angle of view.

Last edited by PeterAM; 11-09-2009 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Add information
11-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #23
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: US
Posts: 30
For my FA 45mm F2.8 I use a 67mm WA rubber screw-in I got years back from Adorama. It is cheap but seems to do the trick for now. Not sure for how long thou since the rubber starts separating from the metal ring.

11-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #24
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lower Left Coast, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 255
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
This is a picture of the Mamiya lens hood for the 45mm 645 lens;77mm front. You can see how the back is set up to slide/push on over the outside of the lens.

Mamiya RZ67 Rb67 50mm 65mm m645 45mm push fit lens hood on eBay (end time 10-Nov-09 14:34:56 GMT)

I think that the Mamiya 45mm lens has a 76 degree angle of view.
Peter, thanks for that link. That looks like a functional hood, however the 35/3.5, which has the 77mm filter size has a 90 field of view. So, while it may fit physically, it will most likely cause vignetting. I wish this were easier. Thanks for the effort though.
11-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #25
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lower Left Coast, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 255
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DigitalSlide Quote
For my FA 45mm F2.8 I use a 67mm WA rubber screw-in I got years back from Adorama. It is cheap but seems to do the trick for now. Not sure for how long thou since the rubber starts separating from the metal ring.
Thank you. Yes, deterioration can be a problem with the rubber hoods. This one from Adorama may be a better option (DL2077P Adorama 77mm Wide Angle Digital Lens Hood - Petal Shaped). I may give it a try.
11-09-2009, 07:28 PM   #26
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Washington DC, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 553
just looked up my 'early FA lens manual' and it states the following lens hoods for the FA 45mm f/2.8
Hood Type: PHRBC67mm

and for the FA 75mm f/2.8
Hood Type: RH-A 58mm

I don't have a late enough manual for the 645 A series lenses that includes the 35mm f/3.5... still searching
11-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #27
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lower Left Coast, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 255
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Arg! Yes, my mistake. Bayonet on FA lenses. And I should know since I have a couple right here!
Robin, you're partly right! Looking at my FA 645 45/2.8, it has no bayonet mount for the hood. The original hood must be screw a mount. Sorry about the confusion.
11-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #28
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lower Left Coast, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 255
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yurihuta Quote
just looked up my 'early FA lens manual' and it states the following lens hoods for the FA 45mm f/2.8
Hood Type: PHRBC67mm

and for the FA 75mm f/2.8
Hood Type: RH-A 58mm

I don't have a late enough manual for the 645 A series lenses that includes the 35mm f/3.5... still searching
Yes, I've found the same info. The those hoods can be found on occasion at KEH. Unfortunately, they're both rubber, which have a tendency to warp and look ugly (not that I'm any great judge of beauty).
So, I guess I'll have to decide between the stuff on Adorama and ebay. I'm leaning toward one big enough for the 35 and a set of step-down rings to fit the other 2. Then I won't have so much to carry around.
11-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #29
Pentaxian
Ratmagiclady's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,476
I wonder if anything made for Bronica might happen to fit: they seem to have liked to make square, rigid ones. I forget how they may have attached. Possibly they would clip inside the filter threads.
11-11-2009, 09:14 AM   #30
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lower Left Coast, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 255
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I wonder if anything made for Bronica might happen to fit: they seem to have liked to make square, rigid ones. I forget how they may have attached. Possibly they would clip inside the filter threads.
Yes, I had thought about something like that. But, they'd be expensive and may vignette so I won't chance it unless I can find it locally and try it. Thanks.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
angle lens, camera, filter, hoods, lenses, medium format, smcp-fa
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best wide angle lens A.M.92 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 06-29-2010 02:21 PM
looking for a wide angle lens lazyeye Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 05-12-2009 02:51 PM
Wide angle lens? needtime2scrap Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 02-25-2009 09:29 PM
Lens hoods for Wide-Angle Trawlerman Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 04-28-2008 09:20 AM
Wide Angle Lens Toshi Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 09-26-2006 03:04 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:27 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top