Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
OK, I've done it. I ordered this: 77mm Paddle Flower Camera Lens Hood Sun Shade Black - eBay (item 390087434678 end time Nov-26-09 07:47:56 PST)
It's inexpensive enough ($7.61 USD), and shouldn't vignette. If it does, no big loss. I'll try it with step-down rings on the other lenses as well. I'll post results after I get the hood and process test shots.
Thank you all for your thoughts on this.

11-11-2009, 04:00 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool. I think you're at least safe from vignetting with that: those things are usually made for (any number of unspecified) wide-zooms and if anything are going to be quite short. Better than running around with a bare lens, though.

P.S: Step-*down?* What do you have that's bigger than 77mm?

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 11-11-2009 at 04:08 PM.
11-12-2009, 05:25 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mike, it looks like you are onto the right solution here. The filter looks very much like the one for the Pentax 14mm f/2.8, which is a 90 degree field of view - like the 645 A 35mm f/3.5 - except you have found one that attached via the filter thread. I was thinking of buying the one for the 14mm and then gluing on a stepping ring or a blank 77mm filter.

Let us know how it works.
11-12-2009, 07:41 AM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
P.S: Step-*down?* What do you have that's bigger than 77mm?
I guess stepping up or down depends on how you look at it. I figure, since I'll be using this hood, meant for a 77mm thread, on a lens with a thread of 67mm, or 58mm, it'll be stepping down. Another matter of perspective I suppose.

11-12-2009, 08:01 AM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yurihuta Quote
Let us know how it works.
Will do Yuri. I'll see if I can improve on this, taken with the FA 45/2.8 on Provia:
Attached Images

11-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iCrop Quote
Will do Yuri. I'll see if I can improve on this, taken with the FA 45/2.8 on Provia:

The FA 45/2.8 is one of the worst lenses Pentax have made. It flares more than most zooms(!), as you can see, and is a mediocre performer....
11-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iCrop Quote
I guess stepping up or down depends on how you look at it. I figure, since I'll be using this hood, meant for a 77mm thread, on a lens with a thread of 67mm, or 58mm, it'll be stepping down. Another matter of perspective I suppose.
For ease of shopping, the terms make it a step-up ring when it's a smaller lens thread going up to a bigger filter, and a step down when you're putting a smaller filter on a lens with a bigger thread: the size of the lens thread comes first, and the filter size it adapts to is second.
11-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #38

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The FA 45/2.8 is one of the worst lenses Pentax have made. It flares more than most zooms(!), as you can see, and is a mediocre performer....
Pål, thanks for the reply. Since we're very limited in our choices for wide angle lenses on the 645, which do you prefer?

11-13-2009, 08:13 AM   #39

Original Poster
For ease of shopping, the terms make it a step-up ring when it's a smaller lens thread going up to a bigger filter, and a step down when you're putting a smaller filter on a lens with a bigger thread: the size of the lens thread comes first, and the filter size it adapts to is second.
Thanks, step-up it is...
11-16-2009, 04:32 PM   #40

Original Poster
So, the hood arrived. Unfortunately, the plastic threads have a tendency to cross-thread on the lens. Given that the lens was used, but new to me, I tried a filter on it, and that threaded on smoothly. I suspect the thread pitch on the hood may be off, but I haven't checked it yet. If I force it, I can get it threaded on by about 1 thread, and it holds because the hood is so light, but if bumped, it will probably fall off. I'll still test to see if there is any vignetting on film. There's none detectable in the viewfinder. Since the hood was only $7.61 it's no big loss, but disappointing none the less.

I'll continue to look for other hoods and post as appropriate.
11-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #41

Original Poster
Lesson Learned

Right you are! I had a DH! moment when the rings arrived and didn't work. Thank you for the education.
11-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Sarright, Icrop. It sounds as it you may just have gotten a hood with badly-cast or machined threads, there really should be only one pitch you'll find on any such accessory. (The lens and hood are both 77mm size? And the hood will neither thread onto the filter nor the lens properly? Sometimes the front threads of a filter are shallow, and those of a cheap hood may have a lot of 'blank' on them. So that may cause some problems.)

Probably, if everything's the right size, the hood's just badly made.

If what Pal says about that lens and flare is true, it could be worth a bit of a hood-hunt to get the best you can out of it.

One could probably make a decent 'custom' hood with a flowery thing like that (or a wide angle hood, and adding empty filter rings (if you can get any) until it starts to vignette on you.

Picking a random Ebay link, you might try something shaped like this: http://http://cgi.ebay.com/77mm-Wide-Angle-Metal-Lens-Hood-for-Canon-Nikon-etc_W0QQitemZ110434531805QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLens_Accessories?hash=item19b66939dd

A hood shaped like this has a big diameter, if you're willing to deal with that, (It's not convenient for storage,) but it means you have more hoosdey goodness in several ways without as much risk of vignetting.

You can also get things shaped like this: http://http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Metal-Wide-Angle-77mm-Screw-in-Lens-Hood_W0QQ...item19b4e6ec0b

Skinny, but about as convenient for storage as it'll get: I have a few hoods made by this company, including one much like this which I replace with a rubbery one when I am going to be walking around in the bright with my big ol' Canon zoom. (Which lens has many virtues, but flare-proofness is not one of them) The skinny metal one fits in a bag. The big rubber one actually keeps rain and snow and stray light off pretty well.

I generally consider petal hoods to be not worth the trouble if they aren't designed to be matched to your lens: in general, they'll make em shorter at the corners than they have to be, so the right sized round one will serve as well.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 11-16-2009 at 09:09 PM.
11-18-2009, 01:54 PM   #43

Original Poster
One could probably make a decent 'custom' hood with a flowery thing like that (or a wide angle hood, and adding empty filter rings (if you can get any) until it starts to vignette on you.
What I may do is get an old filter ring and mount the petal hood on it permanently. If that doesn't work I'll try the skinny round hood you mention. I've seen a few metal versions of those around.
11-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #44
Forum Member

Hood Page

Hi Group,
I've set up a page listing specs on most of the P645 A and FA lens. Hoods are in the last column.

Instead of using an old filter, I made a flower hood for the A 35/3.5 out of a Cokin P adapter for 77mm and hot glued a plastic bowl to it, cut it out and painted it black. The official hood is a sort of floppy rubber thing that I don't really think works much at all. I sold it off on OBoy a long time ago. It doesn't really extend that much past the lens and is too small to exclude a large portion of brightness.

Warren

PS, If you see any errors on my page, please send me a correction.
11-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #45
Forum Member

Whoops

This might help.

http://www.120scan.us/p/eq/P645lens.html