Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2010, 07:25 AM   #46

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Found One

OK, it took a while, and this is what I've settled on, found it at Adorama for $9.95: WAMLH77 Adorama 77mm Wide Angle Metal Lens Hood. It doesn't deform like the rubber hoods do, and I had terrible vignetting with the plastic petal shaped hood. The paint job on this hood is not the best. I may sand it down and repaint it.

The first photo below is what the hood looks like on the 35mm lens.

The second photo was taken with the 645N and the hood on the SMCP-A 645 35/3.5. I'm sure there would be flair if the hood wasn't on.

Attached Images

04-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I managed to find an original Pentax hood for my A 35mm - it is a collapsible rubber type hood. If you want, I could measure it to give you an idea how close the one you have is. Let me know via PM.
04-16-2010, 11:55 PM   #48
Forum Member

Good job in finding this hood. I had the original A 35mm hood and it didn't do to much for me. Just a floppy piece of rubber. But yours looks very subbstantial and could block a lot of light.

And the location?? the entrance to Buckskin Gulch?
04-19-2010, 08:28 AM   #49

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yurihuta Quote
I managed to find an original Pentax hood for my A 35mm - it is a collapsible rubber type hood. If you want, I could measure it to give you an idea how close the one you have is. Let me know via PM.
Yuri, thanks for the offer, but it would be more trouble than it's worth. This is my forth hood in this search. It doesn't vignette like the others, or deform like the rubber one I tried. A mm or three difference might prompt me to continue the search and I'm sick of looking for hoods at this point. I just want to take photos.

04-19-2010, 08:43 AM   #50

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wkkato Quote
And the location?? the entrance to Buckskin Gulch?
Close, good eye. They were taken last month (March, 2010) just above and to the east of The Wave. The photo with the 645 is looking southwest, with Ektachrome 100VS. It's the original low res scan from the lab that does my film processing. No adjustments, hence the somewhat over-saturated look.
04-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Incidentally, for anyone still looking, I like S&W brand metal hoods, (there's a seller on Ebay with darn near everything they make) The wide ones will generally be more compact, (not as big in diameter but not as deep, either: this makes them easier to deal with as well as carry around, but apart from that not quite as protective. Still, very good if you'd otherwise leave the lens at home, etc. Otherwise, something like what you've got, there would be my preference.)

I do like them in general, though, this brand, (at least if I can't have round hard plastic, but that's hit-or-miss, ) ...they're usually pretty nice of finish. Very occasionally, there'll be one that the black coating won't hold on, (I've heard of one or two cases of such, but I've used them for years, myself without finding such flaws, but I believe those who do: (I don't really baby things excessively: neither, though, do I 'use gear hard:' just a *lot:* knocks and hard abrasions and other things that might do violence to a finish are quite rare around me, but things see lots of carry and casual wear. I presume that some reports just an occasional rare problem with a batch of coating, and that it almost always has gone right. It's not B&W or Heliopan, but it's great, especially for lenses that wouldn't rate a fifty dollar hood, anyway. )

Occasionally, they'll be a little inconsistent in appearance, (not so most would notice,) but all in all very nice for the price.

Wides and hoods are always harder to fit, I think, but there's another option if anyone's interested. (I've actually got a wide 77 from this company, for my big Sigma 28, (Was shipped the wrong one, and sort of bought-at-discount instead of sending it back while the proper one came. On this lens it's a token hood at best, particularly on crop, but it's better than walking around with a big 'naked' lens. And also compact and takes an easy-enough cap. )

I usually don't mind at all if a hood flares out like the one pictured, (more protection,) but sometimes with a bigger diameter lens, that's majorly in the way when it comes to carry.

Just a few thoughts.
04-21-2010, 06:32 AM   #52

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wkkato Quote
the entrance to Buckskin Gulch?
Here's a view from the same location, only looking east. Still trying to get the color correction dialed in on the Ektachrome.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 654N  Photo 
04-21-2010, 07:36 AM   #53
Site Supporter

Might be the scan or the lens or the hood - are you getting a little vignetting in the top left corner?

04-21-2010, 08:02 AM   #54

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yurihuta Quote
Might be the scan or the lens or the hood - are you getting a little vignetting in the top left corner?
I'm sure it's post processing artifact. It's gone from (scanned) TIFF to PSD back to TIFF then JPG. It looks good printed out at 18x24 as a PSD, but converting that for the web sends it right into the toilet... I'll have to work on my 'scanning for the web technique'.
04-21-2010, 08:15 AM   #55
Site Supporter

What are you scanning your film with again?

QuoteOriginally posted by iCrop Quote
I'm sure it's post processing artifact. It's gone from (scanned) TIFF to PSD back to TIFF then JPG. It looks good printed out at 18x24 as a PSD, but converting that for the web sends it right into the toilet... I'll have to work on my 'scanning for the web technique'.
04-21-2010, 09:27 AM   #56

Original Poster
Epson V750. Scans are pretty sharp with a BetterScanning film holder and ANR glass. I get good color from EpsonScan but don't like its batch mode. I get poor colors from SilverFast, but like its batch mode. Trying Vuescan next... Just trying not to fall off my learning curve.
What are you using, and are you happy with it?
04-22-2010, 06:05 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Are you sure it's due to digital processing? Because I am about to go for the same hood—as well as the 58mm one for my 2.8/55mm—since I cannot find the original hood anywhere. And if it was never any good, as wkkato suggests, I'll try this one.

I prefer metal or plastic hoods over rubber, too. Don't mind plastic, as some do, my original hood for the M-series 2/85mm is still without fault after 20 years of use.
04-22-2010, 06:10 AM   #58
Veteran Member

And now that I'm at it: how long should the lens hood be for the 120mm Macro (MF)? I found one on Adorama that would seem to be smallish: MLH67 Adorama 67mm Metal Lens Hood
04-22-2010, 07:23 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
And now that I'm at it: how long should the lens hood be for the 120mm Macro (MF)? I found one on Adorama that would seem to be smallish: MLH67 Adorama 67mm Metal Lens Hood
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's a good deal shorter than it needs to be. Tolerance for vignetting seems to get way better as focal lengths past 'normal.' With the broader hoods, you can probably go as deep as you can find without much worry (Cause I don't think those come terribly deep to begin with, but you could do better.) If the lens' front element itself isn't close to the edge of the lens barrel, that's a good amount of clearance for a deeper hood of that style, in general.
04-22-2010, 07:27 AM   #60
Veteran Member

I just found an original metal hood for the 120mm, and ordered it right away! Thanks for your reply, however, it is useful to know this.