Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Need 645 Wide Angle Lens Hoods

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I recently acquired a 645N, and SMCP-FA 645 75/2.8, SMCP-FA 645 45/2.8 and I have a SMCP-A 645 35/3.5 on the way. None of the lenses came with hoods. Finding original hoods for the FAs is difficult and I can't even find info on the original hood for the 35, if there was one. I'm thinking of trying out generic screw-on hoods that go on the filter threads, but was wondering if anyone out there has tried any, or if there might be another solution I've not thought of yet. The filter sizes of the lenses are 58mm, 67mm and 77mm, respectively. I'm sure there are some folks out there that have one or more of these lenses and have hoods for them. Any ideas on where to get the original hoods, or a good substitute? Please indicate manufacturer and source if possible. Thanks.

11-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are some 645 WA hoods FS right now on ebay - search "Pentax +(hood, shade)"

I'm at work and ebay is blacklisted here or I would make a link for you.
11-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There are some 645 WA hoods FS right now on ebay - search "Pentax +(hood, shade)"

I'm at work and ebay is blacklisted here or I would make a link for you.
Thanks for that. I put a +645 in there to filter out the 67 stuff and got only 3 hits, 2 were from the 'fotodiox' place that's prevalent on ebay and one listed a lens w/hood. Actually the 'fotodiox' place lists hoods in the sizes I'm looking for, but I'd like to know they work before ordering them. Here's a link to one of them: 58mm Lens Hood for Pentax 645 645N with 75mm 2.8 Lens - eBay (item 360184063844 end time Nov-26-09 07:12:13 PST)
I'd hate to get something that vignette's like crazy.
11-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did you try KEH? For instance, they have a Pentax brand rubber shade for the 45 -

Pentax 645 - Hoods and Shades Kinda pricey, but at least they have 'em. A phone call might also help you track down the info on the 35.

I believe they will note your interest and contact you if something comes in - inventory is pretty fluid.

11-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

645 hoods are regular screw-on types, unlike 6x7 right? So any brand will do.
11-06-2009, 06:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The hoods for FA lenses I have do not have screw in hoods, they all fit on the lens via a bayonet type of mount.
11-06-2009, 09:51 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DIY lens hoods

QuoteOriginally posted by iCrop Quote
Any ideas on where to get the original hoods, or a good substitute?
Depends on how badly you need a hood, but these work as temporary solutions. (Well, actually I've been using a coupl'a of these homemade hoods for many years. 's fun -- drives the purists nuts.)

Free printable cardboard lens hoods

Once you get a workable paper pattern, you can transfer it to sheet aluminum. Slip-ons with hose clamps works for larger hoods. Spray paint can tops epoxied to cannibalized filter rings work. I used to have some made from rubber plumbing fittings and tuna and smoked oyster/herring tins.

Spray paint the inside flat black of course, but you can do outlandish things on the outside. More than one lens has been called "the beer can" - well, here's your chance! Ya get extra points if somebody carryin' $4500 worth of Canikon sneers at ya or make snide remarks in public

Hey, how 'bout a K-x with a Budweiser label skin decor! Advertising to help keep Pentax afloat.

H2

Last edited by pacerr; 11-06-2009 at 10:03 PM.
11-06-2009, 10:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Did you try KEH? For instance, they have a Pentax brand rubber shade for the 45 -

Pentax 645 - Hoods and Shades Kinda pricey, but at least they have 'em. A phone call might also help you track down the info on the 35.

I believe they will note your interest and contact you if something comes in - inventory is pretty fluid.
Thanks again for the reply. Been checking the KEH incoming inventory for a while. The in transit 35 is coming from them. I don't particularly like rubber hoods, but may accept one if no alternatives arise.
11-06-2009, 10:37 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
645 hoods are regular screw-on types, unlike 6x7 right? So any brand will do.
The SMCP-A series is screw mount I think. The SMCP-FA series is bayonet.
11-06-2009, 10:38 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yurihuta Quote
The hoods for FA lenses I have do not have screw in hoods, they all fit on the lens via a bayonet type of mount.
Thank you. I think Yuri is right.
11-06-2009, 10:45 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Depends on how badly you need a hood, but these work as temporary solutions. (Well, actually I've been using a coupl'a of these homemade hoods for many years. 's fun -- drives the purists nuts.)

Free printable cardboard lens hoods

Once you get a workable paper pattern, you can transfer it to sheet aluminum. Slip-ons with hose clamps works for larger hoods. Spray paint can tops epoxied to cannibalized filter rings work. I used to have some made from rubber plumbing fittings and tuna and smoked oyster/herring tins.

Spray paint the inside flat black of course, but you can do outlandish things on the outside. More than one lens has been called "the beer can" - well, here's your chance! Ya get extra points if somebody carryin' $4500 worth of Canikon sneers at ya or make snide remarks in public

Hey, how 'bout a K-x with a Budweiser label skin decor! Advertising to help keep Pentax afloat.

H2
Aaaah, yes now we're thinking outside the hood! Thanks for that. I don't know that I want to go that far, but applying these ideas to the Bowers tulip hoods available at B&H might work, if I only knew what mount they used. I suppose I'll have to call them, since their web site has little information.
11-07-2009, 07:58 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DIY Scrounging

Aaaah, yes now we're thinking outside the hood!
The secret to successful DIY scrounging for lens hoods:

Mark a strip of heavy paper with the diameter of your various lens rings and carry it in your wallet.

When someone asks what the heck you're doing in the scrap bin or hardware section just say you're an official government circumference inspector. (But make sure you pronounce circumference correctly!)

H2
11-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thank you. I think Yuri is right.
Arg! Yes, my mistake. Bayonet on FA lenses. And I should know since I have a couple right here!
11-07-2009, 03:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I have a rigid, rubber (I think that it's rectangular) Mamiya lens hood for a 45mm 645 lens;the front of the lens is 77mm. This hood slides on, over the outer edge of the lens. Don't know what size your lens is.

Check it out: KEH Camera: Mamiya M645 - Hoods and Shades - 45 F2.8 RUBBER (77) PUSH-ON SHADE
11-07-2009, 04:59 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
B+W lens hoods

B+W makes lens hoods in addition to their filters. They make rubber and metal screw in hoods. I am trying to find out if one of their screw in hoods would work with my 645 A 35mm f/3.5 wide angle.

My 645 A 55mm f/2.8 came with a generic, metal screw in lens hoods that works really well. I should have thought of that when I was looking for a hood for my new 645 A 35mm f/3.5

I'll let you know if I find something suitable.