Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2009, 07:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FA 80-160mm question

Does anyone have this lens? I don't have my adapter yet, or a 645 so I cannot test it. I bought it from Adorama (E-) for $179.00!!!

My question is this: On my lens, which appears to be in very nice condition (aside from some dust), the lens barrel around the part that extends rotates. Is this normal? Also, what is the purpose of exposed rubber ring that can be rotated. There is an opening in the barrel where you can see it.

I appreciate your help. I cannot wait to get my adapter. It is on backorder right now from BH Photo/Video. I am assuming since Pentax shows it for sale on their site I should be able to get it eventually.

11-11-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
D W
Veteran Member

Perhaps a photo with arrows pointing to what you are asking about would be helpful.
11-11-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ha. I was thinking that when I was typing my question. I will try to do that tonight. I does not seem that there is anything wrong with the lens, but since I don't have a manual I have no idea what is going on.
11-12-2009, 05:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have this lens and it is a wonderful piece of equipment. If I understand your description correctly, the piece that rotates is at the very front of the lens and is used to rotate filters - e.g. polarizers - while the lens hood is on.

11-12-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The entire extending part of the barrel rotates. I hope this is normal, but it was so cheap I would probably keep it as long as everything else works. I will try to post some photos tonight with colorful arrows pointing to what i am trying to describe.

Thanks yurihuta for the info.
11-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenMerola Quote
The entire extending part of the barrel rotates. I hope this is normal, but it was so cheap I would probably keep it as long as everything else works. I will try to post some photos tonight with colorful arrows pointing to what i am trying to describe.

Thanks yurihuta for the info.
Are you sure it is not the A 80-160 you have? I believe that the front tubus of this lens rotates; not sure about the FA version....
11-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am certain it is the FA.

Ok, here is the photo. Both indicated sections rotate either way. The top area rotates independently of the other section. However, if the bottom ring is rotated clockwise it will move the top barrel section with it, but it won't move the upper barrel section if you move the bottom ring counter-clockwise. Nothing affects the actual glass. So I am wondering if this is proper or if the barrel is only supposed to move by rotating the lower ring.
Attached Images

11-12-2009, 11:28 PM   #8
D W
Veteran Member

Ahhhh picture worth 1000 words. The bottom ring is used to rotate the filter when the hood is mounted on the bayonet and you can't get to the filter. A window on the hood does not work in this case for the front ring moves in and out.

The two are supposed to rotate in sync. If one rotates and the other doesn't then there is something wrong.

11-13-2009, 07:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I did notice that 2 extremely small screws are missing. One in the window below the lower arroe and one just up and to the left of the lower arrow....you can actually see the whole if you look closely. However, all other screws are intact so this may not be the problem. I think for $179.00 I will keep it since it sorta works.
11-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess it would not hurt to make sure all exposed screws are tight, and replace the missing screws as well. I dont know if that will solve the issue though.
11-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stephen, if you send me a photo of where the screws are missing, I can check my copy of this lens as a comparison.
11-13-2009, 07:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok here are some photos. I think the 3rd one is the most telling. It looks like there are 2 holes that are not lined up correctly and require a screw, just like the hole above it. And when you rotate the loose barrel part you can see the 2 holes line up. But I would think the top hole would hold that together. I just know know enough about lenses. I guess I could try to move the top screw to the bottom hole and try to see if that does anything.
Attached Images

11-13-2009, 09:58 PM   #13
Forum Member

Hi Steve,

I own the FA 80-160 (am looking at it as I type) and this is what I can tell you:

1) Your lens is indeed the FA 80-160.

2) When focussing or zooming, the barrel does not rotate.

3) The wheel exposed through the slot in the main lens housing is direct coupled to the lens barrel - turn the wheel and the lens barrel rotates the same, along with the front objective. This is convient for adjustment of a CP when the lens hood is on.

4) Turning the wheel does not affect the focus or the focal length.

It does appear that your copy has missing screws, which may affect the operation of the wheel and/or the rotating barrel - thanks for the pictures.

Regards, Alan
11-14-2009, 09:06 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As Alan said and typed (I too am sitting typing with my copy of this lens), your lens is missing two screws. Mine has two on the filter rotating wheel and also one to the upper left of the rotating wheel (assuming your lens is sitting with the front element pointing up).
11-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I will attempt to find replacement screws.