Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2009, 08:57 AM   #1

Hartblei T/S on a 67? 645 mount?

Hi,

I'm looking to find a tilt/shift lens that will work on a 67. Hartblei makes one for the 645 but (being a noob to this system) I have no idea whether that mount is the same as on the 67.

Is that the same mount? If not, is there a T/S lens that will work on a 67? Looking specifically for the Tilt, not just the shift.

Thanks,

Mark

11-12-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe they built a couple of prototypes, but never went into production:

Hartblei 55mm f4.5 tilt/shift for Pentax 67 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I believe the Arsenal made PCS 55mm f4.5 lens, which is the optics used here, is the only one that can cover 6x7 and still allow for movement. Thus, in answer to your question, the 645 version, beside it being a different mount with different register distance, will not work on 6x7.

I think your only bet is a Zoerk adapter with large format lenses.

Zörk Pro Shift adapter
11-12-2009, 02:26 PM   #3

Hartblei did make a few of the 55/4.5 Super-Rotators in Pentax 67 mount, but no longer. There is a San Francisco area photographer/physicist named Leping Zha, who created lenses with permanent tilt for his 67 by removing the mount and installing a shim. He did this with the 55/4, and had dedicated lenses for vertical and horizontal. He posted the details for this procedure somewhere, but I can't find them now. Try a google search of his name.
The 45/4 would make a good candidate for tilt because of it's huge image circle. There must be a machining wizard out there somewhere who could convert the 45. I asked Hartblei about it, but they won't do a custom job.
The DIY shim tilt seems to be the only answer if you're interested in a wide angle. If you want tilt in a normal focal length, there's the Zoerk MFS, which uses a modified Rodenstock 105/4 APO enlarging lens, and allows for infinity focus. Fellow member Ron Boggs has one.
11-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfotog Quote
...The 45/4 would make a good candidate for tilt because of it's huge image circle.
And ironically, probably the one lens you least need tilt capability. Stop that lens down and you get huge DOF real fast. But would help in shifting for convergence corrections.

Last edited by tuco; 11-12-2009 at 02:57 PM.
11-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #5

Yes, you get good DOF with the 45, but you have to stop down to F/22 to get it. You'd get sharper results with tilt and F/11. This may be splitting hairs somewhat, as the 45/4 @F/22 is still pretty goood, but it's better @F/11, and nothing replaces tilt for extreme DOF in near/far compositions.
11-12-2009, 03:12 PM   #6

Original Poster
Actually I'm not looking for extreme DOF. In fact the look I'm going for is very, very shallow DOF - but I want to be able to control the focal plane depending on the situation, so a fixed tilt solution won't work.

I think the Zoerk may be it. $999 though sans lens. Yikes!
11-13-2009, 07:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Yeah, it's too bad Pentax didn't make a tilt lens for the 67. That would have rounded it off pretty good. But I think it has been more recent that people want to do more selective focus now then 20 years ago.

I have a Lensbaby 3G for my 67. I can do some selective focus halfway decent. It's a simple doublet lens that really doesn't control the plane of focus. It just moves its sweet spot around.

Last edited by tuco; 11-13-2009 at 08:10 PM.