Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
How are the medium format prints now?

Was wondering about the results of taking your medium format negs to local print shops, where they now will do it the digital way --> scan then print. I don't believe I've had any color prints from my 6x7 negs done lately, since every lab now has gone digital.

11-15-2009, 04:12 PM   #2

I'm not sure about other parts of the world but here in Japan, digital prints from the local Fuji Frontier style lab look ok. They aren't super high quality but they aren't bad. Looking a bit closer reveals that they are digitised. Colours look nice and are generally faithful to the original slide. Of course the slide on a light box has more punch but that is the same for any print. For general display around the house etc, I would be perfectly happy. In fact I have a few 6.5in x 8.5in prints from my 67II displayed in my booth at work right now
However for a really nice photo I would only consider getting either a traditional optical print made or a digital print made with a high quality light jet type printer. I've had both types made at a pro lab and the results are very nice with either. I prefer the optical for smaller enlargements but the light jet wins with bigger (20inx24in) prints.