Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2009, 05:24 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Finally got a scanner!

I finally got a scanner to get some of my 6x7 shots on my computer. I purchased an Epson v600 from amazon and I don't think I could be much happier with what I've gotten out of it so far

I would love to get a Nikon Coolscan 9000 but I don't have the money for it at the moment so I settled for a flatbed and I had read some good reviews of the v500 and the newer v600. I found a decent deal on it so I jumped, and I'm pretty pleased. I've found that I can scan at 2400 dpi and get results around 32 MP which when viewed at 100% are atleast as good looking as the files from my k20d viewed at 100%

Here are a few shots of Tri-X shot at 400 stand developed in Rodinal 1:100 for 1 hour.

Last edited by mk07138; 12-10-2009 at 05:51 PM.
12-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #2

congrats on the scanner purchase and very nice sharp images. I've yet to do my own development yet, i got two tanks but no chemical yet; maybe one day. I got a V500 and pretty happy with it w/ the one time that i used it.
12-11-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Congrats. When talking Tri-X and Rodinal, it would be most beneficial to readers to mention what film you're using. Because of the two, 320TXP and 400TX, one is like adding water to hot oil in a frying pan; you just don't do it.

"I can scan at 2400 dpi and get results around 32 MP which when viewed at 100% are atleast as good looking as the files from my k20d viewed at 100%"

You get better results. Your K20D cannot come close to capturing as much light in a single shot as your 67 can.
12-12-2009, 09:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

some nice results, surprisingly grain free for tri-x

12-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments guys, I'm using Tri-X 400, aka adding water to hot oil on the stove, you're just not supposed to do it, but for whatever reason I like it.

As for the results here what I was saying is that the sharpness at 100% for a 32 MP scan matched the sharpness of my 14 MP K20d at 100%, so I'm getting great results that allow a lot more flexibility that the files I get from my K20D, I'm not saying that the 6x7 is a match for the K20D I'm saying the files are a heck of a lot better and, well, I have so much more fun doing all of this myself.
12-14-2009, 04:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mk07138 Quote
Thanks for the comments guys, I'm using Tri-X 400, aka adding water to hot oil on the stove, you're just not supposed to do it, but for whatever reason I like it.
400TX is okay in Rodinal. It is 320TXP you want to avoid in Rodinal. You wouldn't have got the nice results you did. My fault for not being clear, sorry.
12-15-2009, 09:13 AM   #7

Original Poster
Haha, it's ok, my fault for misunderstanding the implication of what you said. I have never shot with 320 as it just never seemed to appeal to me, but I have always heard the mantra that Tri-X in Rodinal was a no no, but I wanted to give it a try and I like the results, it's not the cleanest but it is one heck of a lot better than the results I got back from Dwayne's when I sent them a couple of rolls that I didn't have enough chemicals to do myself. I'm still trying to salvage a few of the shots from those rolls. Lesson learned though, I'm never sending B + W stuff out for processing again.

12-29-2009, 12:10 AM   #8
P67

Doing it yourself is really where the fun lies in this hobby. Nice set of B&W shots. They look like wet scans.

So, do the crabs end up on the barbie in the first photo?
12-31-2009, 10:37 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Morgan,

Where are you catching blue crabs in Frostburg?

Congratulations on the scanner.

Can I ask what made you buy the v600 over the v500? Any features that stood out for you? I have been thinking about getting one of these flat beds to scan some prints and it could prove really useful for making initial contact sheets of 120/220 rolls.

Have you used the betterscanning Custom film holders for Agfa, Microtek, Canon and Epson film scanners. film holders with your flat bed?

Yuri

QuoteOriginally posted by mk07138 Quote
I finally got a scanner to get some of my 6x7 shots on my computer. I purchased an Epson v600 from amazon and I don't think I could be much happier with what I've gotten out of it so far
01-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The more I use my V750, the more I'm convinced that it's virtually a match for my dedicated Konica-Minolta film scanner, and I assume it's a similar story for the V600, a good-looking scanner if ever there was one . Only in certain dark areas do I see a miniscule drop-off in definition - separation of some of the darker tones is a little less than linear. But I doubt it'd show up even in large prints. Colours are true to life and there is a nice texture to the image.

You do have to be careful to sharpen your output - the default results are pretty soft. Ordinarily I use PhotoKit Sharpener, but I find it's a bit weak for 6400 dpi scans. Then I tend to use judicious amounts of Smart Sharpen and/or High Pass sharpening and tweak it till I'm happy. And, by the way, unlike some, I do see a real difference in 6400 dpi from the Epson as opposed to, say, 2400 dpi, especially if using Silverfast. I scan high and then resample to 3200. It gives me nice, clean results.
01-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #11

Original Poster
Haha, definitely not catching crabs in Frostburg. I just moved up here in August, was living in Salisbury, though these crabs were caught on the Patuxent river in Lusby.

I chose the v600 over the v500 because I found it for about the same price that I was seeing the v500 so I went with the upgraded model. I love the thing but I'm still learning the intricacies of getting really good scans out of it. I am really happy that without any real effort I can get good scans though, now to try and eek the best results I can out of it.

@P67, Haha, the crabs do not end up on that barbecue, they have their own little propane grill for steaming them. These are actually dry scans, I've been trying to rig up a way to try wet scanning on this scanner but so far haven't had a chance to try anything and as far as I can tell no one makes a wet scanning mount for it.

Right now I'm just using the provided POS film holders and they are working well enough, though handling negative curl is tricky at times. I'm going to a framing shop today to have them cut me some glass to try as a film holder.

QuoteOriginally posted by yurihuta Quote
Morgan,

Where are you catching blue crabs in Frostburg?

Congratulations on the scanner.

Can I ask what made you buy the v600 over the v500? Any features that stood out for you? I have been thinking about getting one of these flat beds to scan some prints and it could prove really useful for making initial contact sheets of 120/220 rolls.

Have you used the betterscanning Custom film holders for Agfa, Microtek, Canon and Epson film scanners. film holders with your flat bed?

Yuri