Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2009, 02:23 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Okay, I did it. I bought a 6x7MLU!

After a long period of thinking, yesterday I decided to go for a Pentax 6x7 system. I read a lot, I searched all dark places of the internet, and now I am very exited that I ordered a fully serviced 6x7MLU and four lenses: the 35mm/F4.5 Fish-eye, the 55mm/F4, the 165mm/F2.8, and the 200mm/F4. The only thing that is missing is a normal 90 or 105mm lens.... But for now, I am very happy !

Just wanted to share this with you.....

12-11-2009, 03:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations!
Your photo-addiction is getting worse
12-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice! Your photographic life will never be the same again.

When looking for that "missing normal" don't forget the new 100 Macro. I call it new as it was released about the same time as the last Pentax 6x7 camera the 67II. The 100 covers that normal perspective and produces lifesize 1:1 close-ups with standard adapter close-up lens. It is way way way sharper than the old 135 macro and this sharpness holds for normal distances out to infinity as well. I just received a payment for a close-up image shot with the 100 that's been published in an annual photo issue of a magazine. Actually, I've sold several close-ups shot through this lens as well as a couple scenics. So it does very marketable work (when my capabilities are up to snuff).

Yes, the 100 is spendy, but by the time you buy either a 90 or 105 plus a 135 macro the difference becomes less significant, plus one lens added to the kit vs two additional lenses keeps the kit more reasonably sized. And of course, the 100 costs more, but is also much newer optically as well as younger in terms of expected lifespan before wear or weather cause harm...Probably cost double vs a 105 and 135 but I think the frightening sharpness is worth it!
12-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Dang, you sure got a lot of stuff at once. Congrats!

That newer 100mm macro is also hard to come by in the USA. The 90/105mm are very reasonably priced since they are the most common. Unless you got a great deal on that fish-eye, a 90 or 105 would have served you better for a lot less money for a start, IMHO.

12-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all.

@Tuco - it depends what you consider a good deal.... I bought the 4 lenses without the body for EUR 900.00. With the lenses came a metal trunk in which I can store the lenses + body, a wooden grip, 3 UV filters and a waist level finder. EUR 900 is about 1300 USD. Considering the prices over here, it is not to bad, I guess. And yes, I would have liked a 105 better than the fish-eye, but this one came in the package. And I thought I could always sell the 35mm and buy a 105mm instead....
12-11-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Nice! Your photographic life will never be the same again.

When looking for that "missing normal" don't forget the new 100 Macro. I call it new as it was released about the same time as the last Pentax 6x7 camera the 67II. The 100 covers that normal perspective and produces lifesize 1:1 close-ups with standard adapter close-up lens. It is way way way sharper than the old 135 macro and this sharpness holds for normal distances out to infinity as well. I just received a payment for a close-up image shot with the 100 that's been published in an annual photo issue of a magazine. Actually, I've sold several close-ups shot through this lens as well as a couple scenics. So it does very marketable work (when my capabilities are up to snuff).

Yes, the 100 is spendy, but by the time you buy either a 90 or 105 plus a 135 macro the difference becomes less significant, plus one lens added to the kit vs two additional lenses keeps the kit more reasonably sized. And of course, the 100 costs more, but is also much newer optically as well as younger in terms of expected lifespan before wear or weather cause harm...Probably cost double vs a 105 and 135 but I think the frightening sharpness is worth it!

I've set my mind to a 105, but it's good you mention the 100 macro! I will look into that. Thanks!!
12-11-2009, 07:03 PM   #7

congrats on your purchase and do post photos after your shoot! I bought 2 6x7s and a 67 but haven't used it yet. I only got 2 lens, a 105mm and a 168mm. I'm looking to get a 45mm.

12-12-2009, 11:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Congrats!

First thing to do is to download the manual from Pentax, learn how to dry-fire the shutter, then check the shutter at all speeds (particularly the slow ones; these are the ones most likely to show problems if there's an intermittent electrical fault).

The shoot a roll of your favorite film, ask for the lab to return it long sleeve/uncut, and check the frame spacing. (A camera repair shop would test this by marking a dummy roll; but this way is more fun). Overlapping or nearly overlapping frames indicate that the film transport needs to be adjusted.

Unless you're planning to use your 6x7 for small-product or macro photography, I think you would be happy with either the 90 or the 105 as your normal lens. (I slightly prefer the FOV of the 90; the 90 also focuses closer.)
12-12-2009, 01:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank Troyz, for the congrats, and the great tips! I'll keep these in mind!!
12-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
An hour ago, my camera arrived! It's looking great, and even better with one of the lenses attached, as wel as the wooden grip. The camera is in a very good cosmetic condition, without major cracks and not loss of paint etc. But......

After some dry shots I am experiencing some problems with the shutter. In the beginning it worked all very good: frame counter, shutter release etc. After opening the back and having the spool removed and placed back again, the shutter won't fire anymore. What is more: the winding mechanism doesn't seem to work anymore: it doesn't count and won't go to the next frame number. Is this a battery problem, am I overlooking a hidden button, or does the camera have a severe problem?

Is there anybody out there with answers?

EDIT: the battery seems to be working fine, the little indicator is burning when I push the button...
12-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #11

First of all congratulations! I am very new to the camera myself so I understand the joy of holding the thing in your hands and playing with it for the first time.

As to the shutter... if you simply opened up the back and closed it again everything you describe is perfectly normal. As someone suggested above, there is a trick to being able to "dry fire" the shutter. If you are not aware of it here is the procedure: with the back open rotate frame counter to just past "0", using your finger on the knurled top . While holding it in this position, close the back. That's it. And yes, it kinda takes three hands!

Sorry if you already knew that, and had done that before observing the problem - unfortunately if that is the case then your camera may have a real problem.
12-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Denverdad! But the problem is the frame counter doesn't count at all.. So I can't rotate it past "0"...

EDIT: Ah, now I see how it works!! The counter doesn't count without film, but I guess that's normal.... So it's in fine working order !!!!!
I am a happy man!! What a camera!!!

Last edited by Rense; 12-17-2009 at 02:53 PM.
12-17-2009, 03:28 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
EDIT: Ah, now I see how it works!! The counter doesn't count without film, but I guess that's normal.... So it's in fine working order !!!!!
I am a happy man!! What a camera!!!
Glad it works....
Hope to see your pictures soon, but it will probably take a while!

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
An hour ago, my camera arrived! It's looking great, and even better with one of the lenses attached, as wel as the wooden grip. The camera is in a very good cosmetic condition, without major cracks and not loss of paint etc. But......
You make me curious with this loving description! Perhaps you can post a picture of the camera?
12-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Iris Quote
You make me curious with this loving description! Perhaps you can post a picture of the camera?
Tomorrow.....
05-24-2010, 10:21 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rense brought the 6x7 with him on a field trip!

In the evening he used it for street photography...but sometimes you need to change the film!