Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
Inactive Account

About my prism...

So i'm not sure the exact model of my current prism, but its fairly standard looking, not metered and just says pentax across the front. it looks like this one:

anyways, so i've noticed the accuracy of this isn't as good as I want, and if I take it off while composing an image(on tripod), there's still a lot more to the frame than I can see.
Are there prisms with a better full image percent, or is this only solved by getting a waist level finder? I really like the accessibility of my pentax at eye level, and i'm wondering if there's a better prism for me out there...

Thanks so much, in advance!
Kohlton

12-13-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
not a clue, anyone?
any help would really be great.
12-13-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Judging by the Pentax logo, you have the newer prism. The meter is simple center-weight. Apart from nothing being wrong with it, I will perform better when you use your experience to add or reduce exposure of the scene from what it is telling you when the scene is not a good average mix. Manual exposure adjustments for the classic beach or snow and stage spotlight scenes covered in camera manuals applies, for example. If you want the most accurate metering but requires you to understand light/exposure, a Pentax one-degree spot meter does the trick.

Far as I know if you want 100% view you need the folding hood or the ridged hood. But, again, the 90% view becomes less of an issue with experience using it.
12-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kohlton Quote
not a clue, anyone?
any help would really be great.
Using a subject line that gives a clue about the topic can be of assistance when you want a reply.
Anyway, the 6x7 prism finder is not very accurate. If you need more accuracy, you will nee to go to the waist level finder or chimney finder.

12-13-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
First off, sorry about my post title. My bad for not being more descriptive.

Tuco, I've shot this a great deal, for around a year and I just need more accuracy. Just the slightest bit of something unwanted in a frame can really, really throw off an entire composition, and its especially hard to be careful about it when you're shooting somewhat street-like, which I believe the pentax67 to be the best for of the 67 slrs.

Alright I will look into the wlf. The chimney finder though, what is that?

Thank you both.
12-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kohlton Quote
The chimney finder though, what is that?
It is a fixed, ridged version of the folding hood. Note neither of these has a meter built in. You'll have to meter with an handheld meter or use the sunny 16 rule. And the portrait orientation of the camera is hard to do handheld with these. Not the ideal tools for quick street work you're doing.
12-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
yep. i always use an incident. awesome. i think i like the folding wlf.

thanks, you two for the help.
I guess I'm a bit disappointed there's not a prism with a better percentage, but I don't mind waist levels too much, so...
12-13-2009, 10:40 PM   #8

I ended up buying the folding hood finder recently because like you, I find the incomplete view of the prism finder (the metered one in my case) rather frustrating. Somehow that 90% FOV seems disproportionately smaller than would be suggested by the loss of a mere 10%. I'm sure one can get used to it, but for me using the waist level finder (or no finder for that matter) has largely been a happy solution. It probably depends a lot on what you like to shoot though. For me, interested mainly in landscape/nature work and with a preference for spot-metering - not having my prism's center-weighted meter isn't really any kind of loss. I don't mind dealing with the inverted image. But I do like the extra magnification of the folding hood - it helps with focusing.

12-14-2009, 12:07 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I really like the WLF too. I use it almost all the time. But that's because I'm not shooting stuff that needs to be done quick these days.
12-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The prisms are limited in coverage due to weight considerations. A 100% coverage prism would weigh a ton, considering they are solid glass. They are already heavy as it is. The TTL prism can be used successfully when metering, if one uses a gray card. Be aware that the older TTLs get out of calibration and need to be adjusted. This is why they are difficult to buy used.