Hot damn, that's a nice set up.

Rense and Tuco, your cameras are nifty too

12-19-2009, 07:52 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
It's not hard at all with a spotmeter.
Wisner 4x5 TF, Caltar-S II MC 210mm f5.6, Kodak 160VC, Jobo C-41 Press Kit
Pfwaahahah

God I want that camera. I want all the cameras!

I've been thinking of making my first New Year's resolution and promise myself not to buy a single camera the following year. I don't know if I could keep that though :P
12-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #18
emr

Wow, what a monster compared to the tiny K20D! Looking up to see what great images you'l catch with it, Rense. What are you going to use it for?
12-19-2009, 03:14 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thank you all!

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Wow, what a monster compared to the tiny K20D! Looking up to see what great images you'l catch with it, Rense. What are you going to use it for?
Emr, I would love to use it for landscapes, but also for street photography. The last must be fun, filling half the street !

12-28-2009, 11:11 PM   #20
P67

So, if I take off the prism I should be able to see this as well?

Nicely done my friend. Your versatility with photography is always inspiring.
12-29-2009, 06:45 AM   #21

Photos: Albums
Congrats Rense! I got mine a few months ago and fall in love with it

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote

Is not that big when compared to a K10/20... specially if they're "wearing" the grip... bur it's HUGE when compared with a MX the prism is almost the same high than the MX's body! LOL!
12-31-2009, 08:39 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really nice kit Rense. The 35mm is a lot of fun. I kick myself sometimes for selling mine. Enjoy!

12-31-2009, 10:36 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ok, my turn now ^_^

I recently bought a Pentax 6x7 well worn mostly for long exposure and night stuff.

When looking for a 45/4 or a 55/4, I found in FFordes.com a deal I couldn't pass. And here I am, with a 600/4 in very good condition I don't really know what I will do with it (probably landscape including moon shots and using compression of perspective)

I've ordered a new tripod to support the beast based on Luminous landscape recommendations but I'm still hesitating about the head. I will probably skip the Wimberley to go for the much cheaper Manfrotto ersatz.

Ad I've still haven't finish my first roll of 120 yet...

Last edited by ghelary; 12-31-2009 at 11:16 AM.
12-31-2009, 10:39 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow! That is an incredibly big piece of glass. It would be great to see some moonscape type photographs that you capture. Congratulations on that amazing find!

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
I recently bought a Pentax 6x7 well worn mostly or long exposure and night stuff.
12-31-2009, 05:51 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Ghelary,

Samys in SoCal rents that lens for $80/day.
12-31-2009, 06:08 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote

I've ordered a new tripod to support the beast based on Luminous landscape recommendations but I'm still hesitating about the head. I will probably skip the Wimberley to go for the much cheaper Manfrotto ersatz.
You may also want to try what I do with my 6x7 300mm M* ED IF lens. Since the lens is mounted to the tripod and the body cantilevered off the lens, you can attach a monopod to the camera body for additional support. I also use a swivel head on the monopod for when the lens is angled up, for example. I've done test shots on an ISO 12233 pattern at various shutter speeds and it seems to work out fine on a modest size tripod.
12-31-2009, 08:47 PM   #27

Ghelary, That's a monster lens. I would probably stop at the 400mm, but it is tempting. I'm interested in seeing some work with it. Congrats on getting a system. Time to get out and play.
01-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Ghelary, I wrote the test on this lens in the Lens Test part of this forum. Have owned the 600 for 13 years now, so if you have questions, let me know. I don't use a Wimberley. I use a single tripod when shot in the good shutter speed range. In the difficult shutter speeds, I use two tripods. It can be hand held but not for long!
Steve
01-04-2010, 02:50 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
Ghelary, I wrote the test on this lens in the Lens Test part of this forum. Have owned the 600 for 13 years now, so if you have questions, let me know. I don't use a Wimberley. I use a single tripod when shot in the good shutter speed range. In the difficult shutter speeds, I use two tripods. It can be hand held but not for long!
Steve
Yes, I've seen it. I tried the lens and body briefly on my Gitzo traveller tripod (with a Gitzo G1178M head rated for 4 kg) the whole setup was definitively too light for this beast. So I ordered exactly the same setup as described in Luminous Landscape save the head - the tripod and "support" were reasonably priced so it was a "no brainer". I expect them to be very heavy and cumbersome however.

I've made 2 rolls of 120 so far, and I'll send them for developpement tonight. So I can check if my camera works correctly (the pictures were made with the 45mm/F4 and the 100mm/F2.4)

Now back to the 600mm, something that haven't been mentionned in your review is the lens using external mount bayonnet. The Pentax 6x7 have 2 bayonnets, one on the external side of the mounting circle, one on the internal part (the K-mount is internal only) I've ordered an adapter (to K-mount) from Fotodiox, but I found out afterward that it doesn't support the outer mount bayonet... The
genuine Pentx adapter does so I may be out chasing for a real Pentax adapter in the near future.

Another problem I see with this lens mounting, is that there was some play when mounting the 6x7 on the 600mm/F4. I "fixed" the issue by putting some double face tape, the issue being now that it is very difficult to mount and unmount.

I will post my review once I have made real life pictures with it.

Guillaume
01-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Guillaume, the outer bay mount can be difficult to get used to. When mounting the body to the 600, rotate the body until you hear it click into place, then tighten the ring to snug it up. If you don't have the ring/white dot in the right place, it will not tighten. If you are doing it by the book and it is still loose, then that is a problem.