Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2009, 09:23 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yuri:

You must be excited, it is always fun to get a hard-to-find, legendary lens. I would be very appreciative of any comparisons with the A version. I have the A lens and it is very good, but have often wondered about the FA. I have the A and FA versions of the 120mm macro and I can see no difference between them, other than the more "solid" feel of the A version. However, the A and FA versions of the 120 are the same optical design, unlike the 35s.

Tom

12-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #17
D W
Veteran Member

All the A versions feel more solid due to not having AF and the AF/Manual focus clutch. I personally prefer the focus feel of the A versions. Especially a lens like the 120 Macro.
12-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Tom,

Yes I am quite excited to have this lens. I am less excited about the weather lately and lack of time to shoot with it. I will compare the two, side by side. I have a second 645N body and will try and take them both out to shoot some side by sides.

Now to find some time...

The A 120 macro is a lovely lens and I kick myself for selling it. It was so well built and nice and sharp. Good to hear there is no difference between the A and FA for this lens.

Yuri

QuoteOriginally posted by Thomas Quote
Yuri:

You must be excited, it is always fun to get a hard-to-find, legendary lens. I would be very appreciative of any comparisons with the A version. I have the A lens and it is very good, but have often wondered about the FA. I have the A and FA versions of the 120mm macro and I can see no difference between them, other than the more "solid" feel of the A version. However, the A and FA versions of the 120 are the same optical design, unlike the 35s.

Tom
02-15-2010, 03:43 AM   #19
Forum Member

Ok, some time went...
Where is samples ;-)?

02-15-2010, 07:41 AM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D W Quote
All the A versions feel more solid due to not having AF and the AF/Manual focus clutch. I personally prefer the focus feel of the A versions. Especially a lens like the 120 Macro.
DW -- I actually recently acquired a used 120mm f/4 FA macro and am noticing a bit of play in the focus ring. Thought maybe this was just my copy, since my 35mm FA is solid as a rock, but have you experienced this, too?

I can imagine the 120mm A is better for manual focusing on close-ups but I'm using the FA as my general purpose medium telephoto to save room in the bag.

Do all copies of this lens have play in the focus ring? Especially when engaged in autofocus?
02-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yurihuta Quote
Hi,

II finally found the FA version of the 35mm f/3.5 for the Pentax 645 series...
...I actually had given up and purchased the A 35mm f/3.5, which I really like to use and is a very nice lens...

I plan on comparing the two versions of this lens FA versus the A series to see what differences exist.

Yuri
Well, Yurihita, care to comment on there being discernible differences in your images (or not) between the two versions of the 35mm f/3.5?

Last edited by Ivan J. Eberle; 02-15-2010 at 05:26 PM.
02-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #22
D W
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by andycogbill Quote
DW -- I actually recently acquired a used 120mm f/4 FA macro and am noticing a bit of play in the focus ring. Thought maybe this was just my copy, since my 35mm FA is solid as a rock, but have you experienced this, too?

I can imagine the 120mm A is better for manual focusing on close-ups but I'm using the FA as my general purpose medium telephoto to save room in the bag.

Do all copies of this lens have play in the focus ring? Especially when engaged in autofocus?
I only remember trying the 120FA at Pentax. I prefer the A version for the focusing touch and feel. I cannot make any comment as to the looseness of the focusing ring.

Also one has to remember the long focusing "throw" of a macro lens as opposed to a short focus "throw" of the 35's

02-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Yurihuta,

did you have a chance to compare the A and FA versions of the 35mm yet? I just purchased the A version (about $400) and am excited to get to work with it. While I would not be able to afford the FA version, nor need it for the AF part (having a 645), it wiould still be interesting to see the difference.

Just a shame that it will be cropped on a 645D—which I cannot afford either ATM, but if it comes out it will one day be mine and that day may come sooner than is financially justifiable . Interesting to see that the lens roadmap includes a 645 2.8/25mm which could be the equivalent on the 645D of the current 35mm.
02-21-2010, 07:17 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan J. Eberle Quote
I think the prices are holding up on this lens so well largely because Canon has had fewer options for shift/pan and Canon ultrawides are so sketchy. It can't all be speculation about the prospects of a P645D, because if and when that gets rolled out, there are bound to be new lenses available for it as well-- expect that Pentax either has a new ultrawide in the wings-- or merely needs to redesign/dust off boxes containing 33-55mm and 35mm FA's to re-launch them.
Indeed...

On the roadmap is a 645 DFA 2.8/25mm which I guess is equivalent to the 35mm on the 645D; see RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: New Lens Roadmap Revamped? (5 New Lenses? Leak?)

Still purchased a 35mm though.
02-23-2010, 05:33 AM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Indeed...

On the roadmap is a 645 DFA 2.8/25mm which I guess is equivalent to the 35mm on the 645D; see RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: New Lens Roadmap Revamped? (5 New Lenses? Leak?)

Still purchased a 35mm though.
Good decision!

DFA 25mm can`t compete with FA 35mm. Because main customers for FA 35 is Zoerk adapter buyers.

Just fast google search:
Luminous Landscape Forum > Shift options for Canon 5D2?
Need Pentax 645 35mm FA lens - FM Forums

Said so...
...I really like my FA 35 lens on 645n and I assume Fa 35 will not depreciate. It will cost even little more. Although at first moment 645n/645n II will become really cheaper. Although after some time it will get quite good price again - because 645d will be expencive rarity. And some dreamers will use film option, hoping to upgrade. Like I do already.
02-25-2010, 02:38 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The comparison is coming. Life is busy and got a little more hectic lately.

I am also waiting on a new rear lens assembly for my FA 33-55mm to arrive so I can have it replaced and calibrated. Then I hope to compare the following Pentax 645 offerings:

A 35mm
FA 35mm
FA 33-55mm

Yuri
02-28-2010, 08:25 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I don't mean to thread hijack Yuri, but I was just wondering if any of the owners of the A 35/3.5 have tried this lens on a digital body?
03-02-2010, 08:14 AM   #28
D W
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
I don't mean to thread hijack Yuri, but I was just wondering if any of the owners of the A 35/3.5 have tried this lens on a digital body?
I will let you know when I get my 645D

Since the FOV is not wide on Dslr even with 24x36 sensors you will not be testing the lens to the edge where some traditional film lens has issues with digital sensors.

Last edited by D W; 03-02-2010 at 01:43 PM.
03-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Interestingly, there are two Pentax 645 AF 35mm lenses for sale on eBay this week.
Like the bus, there's either none coming, or several all at once.
03-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
There were three at one point last week and KEH.com had one too. I have noticed KEH's prices have crept up with this lens in the last few months. You can also get the lens hood for it from Japan Exposure (Dirk Rosler) - I purchased two from him, as this is the same lens hood that is used for the FA 33-55mm.