Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cokin and 6x7

Who has used Cokin filters with their 6x7 systems? I am thinking about it and am unsure whether I need the Z type or can get away with the P type -- which is not only cheaper, but more convenient if I occasionally want to use it with my MX or whatever.

I understand from another thread here that the P holder definitely vignettes at 45mm, but the widest lens I use is the 55mm f/4, and I have no plans to go wider. The Z is obviously the safe choice; I just wondered if anyone knows how it does at 55. If vignetting would be observable at all, I should bite the bullet and opt for the Z.

Last edited by Sluggo; 12-20-2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: typo
12-23-2009, 07:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
Who has used Cokin filters with their 6x7 systems? I am thinking about it and am unsure whether I need the Z type or can get away with the P type -- which is not only cheaper, but more convenient if I occasionally want to use it with my MX or whatever.

I understand from another thread here that the P holder definitely vignettes at 45mm, but the widest lens I use is the 55mm f/4, and I have no plans to go wider. The Z is obviously the safe choice; I just wondered if anyone knows how it does at 55. If vignetting would be observable at all, I should bite the bullet and opt for the Z.
I think you should be OK, to my dim recollections. Cokin holders can also be turned sideways, if it's tight, vignetting-wise (This'll work unless you want to be sliding a graduated filter precisely for a horizontal shot.) I think they also make one that has just one slot.

I suppose that you may as well try it anyway: I think you'll be able to get more stuff for the P system if it'll work.
12-24-2009, 08:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I think you should be OK, to my dim recollections. Cokin holders can also be turned sideways, if it's tight, vignetting-wise (This'll work unless you want to be sliding a graduated filter precisely for a horizontal shot.)...
In fact graduated filters are the main reason I want to try Cokin. I recently picked up a graduated gray filter in a circular frame, and have found that the transition band is never where I want it.

But yes, I think you're right - I ought to pick up a basic P kit first, maybe even used, and see if it vignettes on the 55/4, since it doesn't look like anyone here has tried that particular combo.
12-24-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
In fact graduated filters are the main reason I want to try Cokin. I recently picked up a graduated gray filter in a circular frame, and have found that the transition band is never where I want it.

But yes, I think you're right - I ought to pick up a basic P kit first, maybe even used, and see if it vignettes on the 55/4, since it doesn't look like anyone here has tried that particular combo.
I think it's worth a try. If it's close, you actually *can* just cut off a lot of the holder and still have the slot for the cap/polarizer and one square filter, which ought to do the job for you. They even make or made some holders just like that: I don't know how easy those are to find, though.

I am *pretty* sure I once fit a Colkin diffuser to a 55 on a 6x7 for a wedding, and didn't experience problems. I didn't actually like to use that lens, and it was a departure from my usual procedures, but I think it worked. It was a long time ago, though, and I was borrowing or renting a lot of stuff, so it was rarely the same twice. (One thing about Cokin I like is their diffusers, by the way. It was a popular effect at the time, often way overdone. These let you be nice and subtle. If you buy in, don't miss out on those. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-24-2009 at 01:49 PM.