Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #1

165mm leaf shutter lens for 67

I've just acquired the 165mm leaf-shutter lens for my 67ii. Can anyone instruct me in how to use it? Many thanks!

12-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Congrats.

For leaf shutter use, set the camera body's shutter speed to 1/8 sec. Rotate the front ring to the shutter speed of your choice, activate the leaf shutter by rotating the arming ring and attach a flash to the lens then shoot. Do not use mirror lockup.

Unlike the 90mm LS, you can't do double exposures or vibration-free pure leaf shutter shots. After every shot in the leaf shutter mode you must re-arm it again.

For normal lens operation, turn the front ring until the circles or "dots" align, cock the shutter open and shoot away at any speed on the camera body dial. When ready to stow the lens at the end of a day's shooting, release and close the leaf shutter to keep the tension off the springs. You can do that with the lens off by pushing down on the lever sticking out the back of the lens with the lens set to a LS mode.

You can practice this all without film on a 6x7 and 67 but I don't have a 67II but I suspect you can do it on that too.

You can download a poor copy form this stupid site. I have the paper manual. I should do a good scan of it

Last edited by tuco; 12-29-2009 at 04:56 PM.
12-30-2009, 03:05 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply: very helpful. Am I right in thinking that when the leaf shutter is 'armed', the shutter blades are in the open position?
12-30-2009, 07:01 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

The sequence for the leaf shutter operation is:
When the camera shutter is tripped, the aperture lever trips the leaf shutter. The leaf shutter closes as the aperture stops down. The camera shutter opens, and during this time, the leaf shutter opens and closes. The camera shutter then closes and the leaf shutter opens again as the aperture lever is released.
This is why it is important to only use the leaf shutter with a camera shutter speed of 1/8 second. Everything is timed around that camera shutter speed. Apparently things can break if a different camera shutter speed is used during leaf shutter operation.

12-30-2009, 08:06 AM   #5

Original Poster
..and presumably this all happens in manual mode?

I'm sorry for all the dim-witted questions but while I've got the lens with me, the camera is 200 miles away so I can't do any 'dry runs' at the moment...
12-30-2009, 09:41 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ade-oh Quote
..and presumably this all happens in manual mode?

I'm sorry for all the dim-witted questions but while I've got the lens with me, the camera is 200 miles away so I can't do any 'dry runs' at the moment...
Yes, all this happens in manual mode. You can't use the leaf shutter in AE.

Set the camera shutter speed to 1/8 second.
Set the lens shutter speed to the desired speed.
Cock the lens shutter.
Set the aperture and focus.
Take the picture.
Repeat as needed.
12-30-2009, 12:02 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for your help!