Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
Pentaxian

55mm f/4 VS the 55-100 zoom

After owning this zoom since release, I am very impressed with its sharpness. I have also used the 55mm f/4 latest version a bit, but only on loan for a photo trip, so I have never been able to shoot the two out. Has anyone ever done a comparison of the two to find out which is sharper? I know it will be close. The 55-100 VS the 75 f/4.5 Takumar would be a close battle as well.

01-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Not owning the 55-100, I cannot fully comment. I do hear that it is really sharp, almost as sharp as the newest 55/4 and 75/4.5, both very impressive lenses. I hear the convenience of the 55-100 and its relative sharpness makes it worth the slight trade-off. Some day perhaps.
01-03-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
P67

Photos: Gallery | Albums
zoom or not to zoom

I have none of the lenses mentioned, and have pondered this question for months. It has come down to this for me, as age has become a factor. Simplifying life, the back pack, the accessories for landscape work ie: filters for B&W plus colour, the tripod - you know the drill, means zoom lenses for me.
Will this stop me from acquiring other lenses? Probably not. Astro photography and special situations make the faster lenses useful. Besides, how can one resist owning fine lenses? The technical and visual work of Desertscape have been a great help. The astro work of the Nightfly - compelling evidence for fixed fast lenses.
The work of this man, in particular, has convinced me that the zooms are exceptional tools. His generous description of f stops and filter used were very helpful. Ian Cameron's Photo Galleries at pbase.com
01-03-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by P67 Quote
... Simplifying life, the back pack, the accessories for landscape work ie: filters for B&W plus colour, the tripod - you know the drill, means zoom lenses for me.
I hear that. I like long exposures at the ocean and a popular lens combination I carry for that with my 67 is the 75/105/165mm. I shoot BW and all three of these lenses have different diameters. So I need to carry around 3 sets of BW color filters, ND filters and lens hoods. That is too much sometimes. So I mess around with step rings. I though about the zoom. But I can't find 9 or 10-stop screw-on ND filters that large. It is problematic for the 75mm lens too. I wanted to get the newer 75mm AL lens that is 67mm filter but that lens is hard to find in the USA.

I recently picked up a Hasselblad 500C/M. That has really simplified things. I can carry around a 60/80/150mm lens and all are the same filter diameter and one lens hood works for them all. The "hot swapping" film backs is a real plus. I'm not too happy about the square format for everything but oh well.

Last edited by tuco; 01-03-2010 at 10:08 AM.
01-03-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
P67

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Tuco - how are you? Those ND's are expensive regardless of size. If you go to that listed site by Ian Cameron shown in the above post - he uses these filter extensively. When he needs more from the standard .03 or .06, he combines it with a Polarizer filter and adjusts to suit.
I have never used this combination, but it appears to work for him. Filters are one of the reasons I shoot the 90 - 135 - 165 combo - same filter size. The older 200 lenses as well. I guess you have checked the Schneider and Hoya websites.
I love the thought of these zooms and am committed to Pentax at this time. Lenses for astro work, landscape. It's like I need to hire someone to carry my stuff.
BTW - and not to hijack this thread - the Hassi filters - do they screw on?
01-03-2010, 10:22 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by P67 Quote
... the Hassi filters - do they screw on?
No, they are bayonet. But I don't use them. I use screw-on filters with a Bay 60 to 67mm adaptor since my lenses are CF T* and not the older C T* that are Bay 50. And the bayonet lens hood still mounts on the lens. As a bonus, the few bayonet 67mm Pentax filters I do have fit these lenses without the adaptor!
01-04-2010, 03:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I hear that. I like long exposures at the ocean and a popular lens combination I carry for that with my 67 is the 75/105/165mm. I shoot BW and all three of these lenses have different diameters. So I need to carry around 3 sets of BW color filters, ND filters and lens hoods. That is too much sometimes. So I mess around with step rings. I though about the zoom. But I can't find 9 or 10-stop screw-on ND filters that large. It is problematic for the 75mm lens too. I wanted to get the newer 75mm AL lens that is 67mm filter but that lens is hard to find in the USA.

I recently picked up a Hasselblad 500C/M. That has really simplified things. I can carry around a 60/80/150mm lens and all are the same filter diameter and one lens hood works for them all. The "hot swapping" film backs is a real plus. I'm not too happy about the square format for everything but oh well.
Cokin filters are the way to go in that case. The P-system is very flexible, and provide a Lens hood.

Guillaume