Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,258
39 Mp Pentax TBA?

I am not sure if this is a "new" news, but for those who are interested in more news concerning the "upcoming" medium-format Pentax camera, here's what I received from the Montreal Leica/Voigtlander dealer in Montreal:

S2 update: better late than never?

A mere four months before Pentax introduces their 39 MP medium-format camera at a fraction the cost, and four months after Phase One announced a new series of Schneider leaf-shuttered lenses with flash-synch speeds up to 1/1600 of a second, Leica begins deliveries of the S2 sans central-shutter lenses. ‘Nuff said.

Meaning that Pentax will officially announce their 39MP mdeium format in April 2010?

I can delete this post if this is already "old" news.

01-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,869
yeah it is, it will be released in 2010, not just announced; this thing has been on the table for years and was made officially official in 2009 (can't remember what point exactly).
01-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member
ghelary's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 617
Well, I wouldn't be so cynical on that one. Hoya have shown that they communicate a little but that they keep to their word.

They said that that the 645D would be available for spring 2010. And I believe them. I also believe that they are working on a lineup of lenses to come with the camera and not only the 645 DA55.

That would be the reason of no new lense on the roadmap (apart from the fact that APSC lense lineup is quite complete and that they need to prepare the FF lineup)

Now they haven't said anything regarding price.

So lets wait, working device will certainly be displayed at the Photokina.
01-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,869
Was I the one being cynical? Didn't realize it! The 645D is obviously coming, I was just communicating that this isn't new news. The pricing will be what makes or breaks the camera - Not that I could ever afford one, but for high end enthusiasts that can throw around $5-10K, well FF was close to that range a few years ago too. And the only direction the price of electronics (including camera BODIES) goes is down!

01-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Ben_Edict's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SouthWest "Regio"
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,303
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
...
That would be the reason of no new lense on the roadmap (apart from the fact that APSC lense lineup is quite complete and that they need to prepare the FF lineup)
Well, I cannot really recognize the near-completeness of APS-C line-up. If you interpret the simple fact, that Pentax deletes already announced products from the roadmap (like the SDM tc), thus speeding up the completion, I think, that possible, but hardly good news.

And preparing a FF line-up should not be a reason to postpone needed lenses on and on.

Ben
01-05-2010, 10:50 PM   #6
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
It is hard to believe they don't have a tc in the lineup.
01-06-2010, 12:29 AM   #7
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 364
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Well, I cannot really recognize the near-completeness of APS-C line-up. If you interpret the simple fact, that Pentax deletes already announced products from the roadmap (like the SDM tc), thus speeding up the completion, I think, that possible, but hardly good news.

And preparing a FF line-up should not be a reason to postpone needed lenses on and on.

Ben
Well considering that Roadmaps and all that crap aren't Hoya's style, i wouldn't read too much into deletion of items off the roadmap. Hoya seem to be a much more streamlined with the Announcements to release times being very short, and a series of orchestrated leaks in the fortnight before the announcement.

They (hoya) really seem to have learnt from the PR disasters that were the massively long product lead times of the DA* zooms and all the delays so on and so forth. plus with PMA only around the corner and Hoya seeming to have developed a plan of an announcement every month (Camera, lens or Firmware) who knows what will be coming round in the next little while, i personally am hoping for a DA* 11-16 f2.8
01-06-2010, 03:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Ben_Edict's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SouthWest "Regio"
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,303
QuoteOriginally posted by Cideway Quote
Well considering that Roadmaps and all that crap aren't Hoya's style, i wouldn't read too much into deletion of items off the roadmap. Hoya seem to be a much more streamlined with the Announcements to release times being very short, and a series of orchestrated leaks in the fortnight before the announcement.

They (hoya) really seem to have learnt from the PR disasters that were the massively long product lead times of the DA* zooms and all the delays so on and so forth. plus with PMA only around the corner and Hoya seeming to have developed a plan of an announcement every month (Camera, lens or Firmware) who knows what will be coming round in the next little while, i personally am hoping for a DA* 11-16 f2.8
They may have learned to be even more quiet than Pentax was. Nevertheless they have so far nothing done to accelarate the realease of long-awaited products. Things like a tc or longer lenses etc. are basic necessities in any manufacturer's portfolio. I value my old Pentax tcs very highly, but still they are: old. AF has been around in Pentax cameras for app. 15 years. In all that time they proved to be unable to release an AF tc! That is unbelievable.

Ben

01-06-2010, 07:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member
jeffkrol's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wisconsin USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,435
I assume you know this

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
They may have learned to be even more quiet than Pentax was. Nevertheless they have so far nothing done to accelarate the realease of long-awaited products. Things like a tc or longer lenses etc. are basic necessities in any manufacturer's portfolio. I value my old Pentax tcs very highly, but still they are: old. AF has been around in Pentax cameras for app. 15 years. In all that time they proved to be unable to release an AF tc! That is unbelievable.

Ben
They have quietly (apparently) been manufacturing the old AF TC in other countries. Apparently they still are using either leaded PCB's or glass that is causing it to be shut out of Europe...
I assume you are waiting for a "pass through" AF TC.
SMC PENTAX F AF 1.7X ADAPTER K20D K200D K100D K10D K110 - eBay (item 200284488123 end time Jan-29-10 01:15:07 PST)
I agree it's odd that a pass through shaft drive in a TC hasn't been done (even 3rd party). A new USM type should be easy to do as it just has to pass through a connection. There has got to be an engineering reason ( for no dual pass through TC) though I can't really envision one.
EDIT: Never mind, it seems Kenko has one though I don't see the "A" contacts there is a shaft drive. It does seem to also have a host of problems though:
http://www.adorama.com/LN2XKPXAFDG.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/389044-REG/Kenko_K1_5AF_DGPK_1_5x_DG_A...r.html#reviews
Oh yes and the Kenko/Hoya connection............

Last edited by jeffkrol; 01-06-2010 at 07:52 AM.
01-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #10
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
jeffkroll,

I don't completely follow you regarding 3rd party TC. Tamron, Sigma, Kenko and even Promaster have af capable TC using the old system. Its the sdm where things get dodgy.
01-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member
jeffkrol's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wisconsin USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,435
Sorry for the ramble

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
jeffkroll,

I don't completely follow you regarding 3rd party TC. Tamron, Sigma, Kenko and even Promaster have af capable TC using the old system. Its the sdm where things get dodgy.
Yes I started to realize that. It started w/ Ben Edicts comment...AF has been around in Pentax cameras for app. 15 years. In all that time they proved to be unable to release an AF tc! That is unbelievable. and for me it went downhill from there fast... thinking that if Pentax never made one, nobody else did either, till I looked and found the Kenko.. but he was right. PENTAX never made a simple pass through AF teleconverter. Just an AF one for non-af lenses..
Not sure if any of there AF "big glass" came w/ a matching TC either. Guess they felt like why spoil the glass

In other words "I got nothing" and would just delete my first post but the current "Assembled in Vietnam" AF TC by Pentax and it's apparent comeback is interesting.
F 1.7X AF
It's a dead end product when shaft drive is completely eliminated. And until Pentax figures a way to change the lens chip serial data transmission to reflect that indeed there is a TC attached to the lens OR allows user override they may never have something as seemingly simple as a compatible TC... Why Hoya dropped it (was on the "roadmap") would tell us a lot. There must be some quirk in the design that doesn't easily allow such a thing.
Minor comment re: the Kenko. If you read some of the comments you will notice it seems to fail more w/ Pentax glass then other 3rd party lenses. Though this is a small sample and may not mean anything...
01-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Ben_Edict's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SouthWest "Regio"
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,303
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
They have quietly (apparently) been manufacturing the old AF TC in other countries. Apparently they still are using either leaded PCB's or glass that is causing it to be shut out of Europe...
I assume you are waiting for a "pass through" AF TC.
SMC PENTAX F AF 1.7X ADAPTER K20D K200D K100D K10D K110 - eBay (item 200284488123 end time Jan-29-10 01:15:07 PST)
I agree it's odd that a pass through shaft drive in a TC hasn't been done (even 3rd party). A new USM type should be easy to do as it just has to pass through a connection. There has got to be an engineering reason ( for no dual pass through TC) though I can't really envision one.
EDIT: Never mind, it seems Kenko has one though I don't see the "A" contacts there is a shaft drive. It does seem to also have a host of problems though:
MC7AFDGP Kenko Teleplus MC-7 "DG" 2x AF Teleconverter for Pentax AF
Kenko | 1.5x DG AF Tele-Converter for Pentax AF | K1.5AF DGPK
Oh yes and the Kenko/Hoya connection............
Jeff, I know and have the 1.7x AF-Adapter. It is no tc. It is an adapter to allow MF lenses to be used in AF mode within limits. A proper tc, would simply pass through the AF signals (electrical or mechanical) and not introduce its own moving optical element. Sure the AF-Adapter (and that name was chosen deliberately) is quite nice and useful - but a "real" tc can simply be very noticeably better, as Pentax proved with the old L-tcs (simply the best tcs for Pentax in terms of IQ) and even Sigma does with its Apo tcs.

I also have the Kenko 1.5x DG modell, which can be used with screwdriver AF and also puts the SDM signal through. But it is not up to the standard I expect from Pentax.

Using the AF-Adapter is the crutch, we all have been using over the last years, if we wanted an Pentax AF tc - it is not the solution, in my personal view.

JUST READ YOUR LAST POST: No, unfortunately Pentax never made even a dedicated AF tc for the big glass. Instead in their wisdom they kept the A converters very long in their portfolio...

Ben
01-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member
jeffkrol's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wisconsin USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,435
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Jeff, I know and have the 1.7x AF-Adapter. It is no tc. It is an adapter to allow MF lenses to be used in AF mode within limits. A proper tc, would simply pass through the AF signals (electrical or mechanical) and not introduce its own moving optical element. Sure the AF-Adapter (and that name was chosen deliberately) is quite nice and useful - but a "real" tc can simply be very noticeably better, as Pentax proved with the old L-tcs (simply the best tcs for Pentax in terms of IQ) and even Sigma does with its Apo tcs.

I also have the Kenko 1.5x DG modell, which can be used with screwdriver AF and also puts the SDM signal through. But it is not up to the standard I expect from Pentax.

Using the AF-Adapter is the crutch, we all have been using over the last years, if we wanted an Pentax AF tc - it is not the solution, in my personal view.

JUST READ YOUR LAST POST: No, unfortunately Pentax never made even a dedicated AF tc for the big glass. Instead in their wisdom they kept the A converters very long in their portfolio...

Ben
The more I think about it the odder it really is. Seems Tamron made one (now discontinued) that seems to be better than the Kenko (Since I do like a lot of their glass and a few reviews seem to suggest as much )..
Hin's Tech Corner: Tamron 1.4x Pz-AF MC4 Teleconverter
A bit pricey (for new old stock) but may be worth checking out. Unfortunately they are not in the orange "sp" line or the modern equivalent.
ONE Tamron for Pentax 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 Teleconverter LN - eBay (item 110469105510 end time Jan-10-10 15:14:38 PST)

First Impressions: DA*300 with Tamron 1.4 TC - Photo.net Pentax Forum
If this was in Pentax mount I probably would not care that there was no Pentax one so I blame Tamron and Pentax Of course I guess were a bit off topic here..
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Tamron+SP+1.4x+Pro+pentax&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Last edited by jeffkrol; 01-06-2010 at 06:00 PM.
01-07-2010, 02:24 AM   #14
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Melbourne, Victoria
Posts: 6
Guys,

Can I ask if anyone has any specific links saying the digital sensor will be 39MP and not say 30MP.

I have seen prototype pictures showing the back sensor as detachable from the body. Does anyone know if this is still likely in the final production model.

Regards
Mark
01-07-2010, 10:23 AM   #15
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by mark_au Quote
Guys,

Can I ask if anyone has any specific links saying the digital sensor will be 39MP and not say 30MP.

I have seen prototype pictures showing the back sensor as detachable from the body. Does anyone know if this is still likely in the final production model.

Regards
Mark
Most have stated 30 mp. However, this one at K-rumors mention the 39 mp Kodak sensor.

(k4) Pentax 645D may be using this 39MP sensor from Kodak (photorumors) | k-rumors
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, lenses, medium format, medium-format, months, montreal, mp, pentax, s2
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Samsung NX10 previewed, K-mount adapter TBA jpzk Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 3 01-04-2010 08:59 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:04 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top