Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35491 Likes Search this Thread
03-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #1501
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had my grand-father's Zeiss Icarette 551/2 cleaned by Mark Hansen so that it is now usable. I can now show some shots "a la Jussi" with a 1930 camera.

Trix @1250 in Diafine F8

F11

The camera has some level of shift but it is pretty difficult to use without a ground glass back.
I need a yellow filter and more than anything else a lens hood for the uncoated glass. I am not sure what the exact filter size is.

Cheers,

Luc

Last edited by lbenac; 03-27-2011 at 05:46 PM.
03-27-2011, 03:31 AM   #1502
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ohhh, swoon Nice results - the first one, under the bridge, is worth seeing large - actually they all are. Congratulations.
03-27-2011, 06:28 AM   #1503
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really, really impressive shots lately!
The colour is great.
Luc, nice results from your old camera. I really should give my grandmothers 30's Kodak folder another go. Will have to try soon.
03-27-2011, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #1504
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Goerz Dogmar is seriously good... Goerz Tenax 6x9, Kodak 160NC, Epson 4490

here's a "100%" crop of the 1200DPI scan

03-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #1505
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Ohhh, swoon Nice results - the first one, under the bridge, is worth seeing large - actually they all are. Congratulations.

Thanks Jussi. Framing and focusing is a whole new experience I so much wish I could have some feedback for using the shift of the lens but I guess that without a ground glass back it is impossible.
I will be looking for a yellow filter and above all a lens hood. I am not sure if the Tessar 105/4.5 takes 28.5mm screw in or if there is a series system like the Medalist (but smaller diameter).

BTW: if you need it, I still have a spare Kodak series VI and Kodak Series V lens hood.

Cheers,

Luc
03-27-2011, 07:36 AM   #1506
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
The Goerz Dogmar is seriously good... Goerz Tenax 6x9, Kodak 160NC, Epson 4490

here's a "100%" crop of the 1200DPI scan

Nobody can say that it is not sharp
The Tenax and the Icarette looks pretty much the same so I am sure that you can give very good advice on using these puppies.

Cheers,

Luc
03-27-2011, 07:44 AM   #1507
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Luc, nice results from your old camera. I really should give my grandmothers 30's Kodak folder another go. Will have to try soon.
Thanks but it was pure luck...
What you haven't looked at it yet
Talk to Jussi he has more oldies but goodies than there are pockets on a Domke vest.
Seriously the look of these old lenses is great.
So for me my calendar reads like this:
  • 1930 Zeiss Icarette 551/2
  • 1945/46 Kodak Medalist II
  • 1958 Minolta Autocord
And I love them. I might not take them out on any and every occasion but they are beautiful picture taking machines on their own right.

Besides next to me there was a guy with a Canon digital setup with long zoom lens and monopod. You should have seen his face when I unfolded the Icarette, put a wet finger in the air to test the wind, took two steps to measure the distance, took one shot and crank the film advance looking for the next small number to show up

Cheers,

Luc

03-27-2011, 08:12 AM   #1508
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote

Besides next to me there was a guy with a Canon digital setup with long zoom lens and monopod. You should have seen his face when I unfolded the Icarette, put a wet finger in the air to test the wind, took two steps to measure the distance, took one shot and crank the film advance looking for the next small number to show up

Cheers,

Luc
The funny look was probably because to you forgot to measure the angle of the Sun by the length of your shadow. It's great to see you and Nesster still utilizing this vintage gear.
03-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #1509
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The funny look was probably because to you forgot to measure the angle of the Sun by the length of your shadow. It's great to see you and Nesster still utilizing this vintage gear.
Ditto!

I have been seen several old folders go through one of our local camera shops, but have been put off by general condition issues that accompany these genuine antiques. And then I see what people like Jussi and Luc are able to do...

Steve

(...must remember...no more cameras, no more lenses...too many empty bodies sitting on the shelf as it is!)
03-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #1510
Veteran Member

True and you still have to teach me the effect of the Moon at equinox for night time photography
03-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #1511
Veteran Member

Big news update. I just found out that I had left at my Mum's some accessories for the Icarette - guess which:
  • the ground glass back with a folding hood
  • 3 6x9 back plates
  • the leather case to put all the above and the camera
They are on the next plane from France to Vancouver
Now out to Freestyle to get some 6x9 sheet film, a tank for sheet film and a 3/8 to 1/4 for the tripod mount.
Now if I could find a lens hood :ugh:

Cheers,

Luc
03-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #1512
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

...a tank for sheet film...
...now this should prove interesting! I assume you are getting the Combi sheet film tank? I will be interested in reading your impressions. I was tempted to get the Combi, but settled instead on "taco" development in a 120 tank instead for my 4x5 work. I have since moved on to a Unicolor drum originally designed for 4x5 paper. The main advantage to the drum is smaller fluid volumes.

Steve
03-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #1513
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Congrats on the other goodies - that should be super-fun!

On the day we bought our first 'good' folder, a Bessa I, I drove to pick up the camera with my daughter, who was maybe 13 then. Next we drove out to the Great Falls in Paterson NJ... and she was using the camera, much to the amazement of an old geezer like me who was shooting there, packing a bag full of Nikon digital.
03-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #1514
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...now this should prove interesting! I assume you are getting the Combi sheet film tank? I will be interested in reading your impressions. I was tempted to get the Combi, but settled instead on "taco" development in a 120 tank instead for my 4x5 work. I have since moved on to a Unicolor drum originally designed for 4x5 paper. The main advantage to the drum is smaller fluid volumes.

Steve
I have the HP Combi tank. 1000ml just, barely, covers the top of 4x5 sheet. 1000ml is a convenient size since that is what my storage bottles are. So when I mix developer, I mix an extra 100ml of it since it is one shot and for the fixer I just go with the 1000ml. It's been working so far.

Last edited by tuco; 03-27-2011 at 03:12 PM.
03-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #1515
Veteran Member

I have the HP Combi tank. 1000ml just, barley, covers the top of 4x5 sheet. 1000ml is a convenient size since that is what my storage bottles are. So when I mix developer, I mix an extra 100ml of it since it is one shot and for the fixer I just go with the 1000ml. It's been working so far.
Tuco, Steve,
Yes this is the one I am looking at just in case I need one day to develop 4x5
I just ordered it from freestyle along with 25 sheets of 6.5x9 Efke 100.
It will be interesting to be limited to 3 shots

Here is the oldie:

Cheers,

Luc

Last edited by lbenac; 07-14-2012 at 07:05 AM.