Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35491 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2020, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #15136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Er ...
Sorry for the missing clarity. In my experience of many years, offices, particularly those of doctors performing expensive operations, have art spread over the walls that looks at least modestly expensive, imaginative, or both. I consider the image of the sailboats and their reflections superior in both categories to most of what I have seen.

tl; dr: I liked the photo.

10-06-2020, 01:35 AM   #15137
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
Sorry for the missing clarity. In my experience of many years, offices, particularly those of doctors performing expensive operations, have art spread over the walls that looks at least modestly expensive, imaginative, or both. I consider the image of the sailboats and their reflections superior in both categories to most of what I have seen.

tl; dr: I liked the photo.
Thanks for the compliment and for the explanation.
10-06-2020, 05:38 AM   #15138
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Thank you, Theuns,

I tried my 67 M 55-100 mm zoom alongside my 645 FA 55-110 mm and I must say both produce very different pictures. The 67 lens seems "colder", more bluish in its rendering, while the 645 zoom is very "warm", maybe a little too much yellowish or reddish. The 67 weighs more than double the 645 (1200 g vs 500 g) and focusing is really hard to attain while the autofocus of the 645 performs very well for what I do. Also the 645 gives me "very sharp" images, beyond what I believed was possible considering the negative reviews everywhere. Maybe I was lucky with the copy I got from Japan. I'll try to keep using both side by side and I will post my findings here on this Forum.

Regards

A former colleague once told me that the Zeiss lenses are more bluish. I've never had an opportunity to use a Zeiss on the Z but if he was correct I assume it could be similar to the blueish tint of the 55-100 (67). I fix the tint with white balance, which does not seem to affect the additional IQ. My other walk-around lens is the 645 80-160 which I find gives very pleasing results. Although for now it's all 67 55-100. :-)

All the pictures posted here are very inspiring and brightens the day. Hong Kong where I live, is a nice city, but if you can't travel the rock fever edges up a knot or two.

Ambleside is idyllic and I definitely want to go back there one day. The world is truly beautiful, hope we can keep it that way.

Last edited by TDvN57; 10-07-2020 at 06:59 AM.
10-06-2020, 06:27 AM   #15139
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the tip, Theuns. We can always learn a new trick or two from an experienced shooter like you.

Regards

10-06-2020, 07:20 AM - 4 Likes   #15140
Pentaxian

Swan sets off from Ambleside Pier...

FA 45 - 85 @ 55mm, cropped about 50%

10-06-2020, 08:45 AM - 5 Likes   #15141
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi,

My North Carolina lighthouse project continues. I finally got all the way out to Ocracoke Island.

Ocracoke is our oldest and shortest lighthouse. It was mostly Sunny when I set out from Kitty Hawk that morning. Nice cloud cover by the time I drove all that way and then the ferry ride. It takes a lot of time to get to Ocracoke. And, the clouds came in. Maybe that was for the best as this thing is pretty darned white. At least this way I didn't blow all the detail out.

Along the way, I pass Hatteras and I needed a morning shot of it. My last one was late afternoon, and morning is much better for the direction of the light for this one.

Those stone blocks have the names and years of service of the House keepers. They used to ring the base of the lighthouse when it was in its' original spot. The Atlantic was going to wash this away, so in 1999 they moved it. Originally, they left the stones in the original spot, but they eventually had to move them as the Atlantic made good on the threat to put that spot under water.

They painted her after they moved her, but she needs a new one pretty soon.

This, of course, is the most popular of the NC lighthouses. I see it pop up in places on signs and in yards and such all over the map. Not just here in NC.

Stan
10-06-2020, 10:51 AM   #15142
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm glad your project is advancing as planned, Stan. Keep up the faith !

Regards

10-06-2020, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #15143
Pentaxian

Hi,

I have orders! My wife was at an artsy craftsy show Saturday. Showing the quilt block idea off. And, one order yesterday for some quilt blocks of something different for a church group. So, this all seems quite promising.

Stan

Edit: and, who says cell phone cams are not so good. I took a shot with one at each site and sent to my wife just so she'd have an idea of what I was seeing. And those two being close to what the final printed image would be was used to sell those orders. Sweet!

Last edited by w2ck; 10-06-2020 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Added more
10-07-2020, 07:07 AM   #15144
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wa2kqy Quote
Hi,

I have orders! My wife was at an artsy craftsy show Saturday. Showing the quilt block idea off. And, one order yesterday for some quilt blocks of something different for a church group. So, this all seems quite promising.

Stan

Edit: and, who says cell phone cams are not so good. I took a shot with one at each site and sent to my wife just so she'd have an idea of what I was seeing. And those two being close to what the final printed image would be was used to sell those orders. Sweet!
Interesting to follow along as your project progresses. Re the cell phone camera quality; I personally think they will make mirrorless cameras obsolete. Because all the selling features of mirrorless are already included in the new cell phone cameras and what they can't produce optically they manipulate with AI post processing before you even see the result.

Maybe DSLRs will go the same way, hope not.
10-07-2020, 01:33 PM - 3 Likes   #15145
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dairy Farm silos, Quebec, CANADA

This past Sunday I drove slowly near where I was born. Farms are now huge commercial enterprises, quite different from the small family farm I knew as a kid. I took this picture 3 years ago with my 645Z + 645 A 45-85 mm f/4.5.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
10-07-2020, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #15146
Pentaxian

Hi,

I just love silos. 30 band tile ones. Nice. Oh, and the photo is nice, too.

The Harvestore (the more modern blue one) seems out of place.

Stan

---------- Post added 10-07-20 at 02:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
Interesting to follow along as your project progresses. Re the cell phone camera quality; I personally think they will make mirrorless cameras obsolete. Because all the selling features of mirrorless are already included in the new cell phone cameras and what they can't produce optically they manipulate with AI post processing before you even see the result.

Maybe DSLRs will go the same way, hope not.
Hi,

My cell phone cam isn't one of these new fancy ones. A BlackBerry Z10. 8 MP. One of the final few cell phones I was in R+D on. I'm still chugging along with the ancient thing. But, It works and worked well enough in this case. I just backed up from the 645D on the tripod and snapped the lighthouse with the rig in the shot. I just wanted a quick way to show her what the image was more-or-less going to look like. Well, less, actually. It *is* a cell phone cam! :P

But, then she showed some folks and the image from the cell cam was Good Enough to make them want to order.

Yes, I can see where the phone cams might take over the mirrorless world. I'm sticking with the DSLR for now. Heck, the combination of my Nikon Df and P645D is going to do me just fine for several years at the least.

Once I get this all fully squared away with the 645D, and both sizes of the quilt blocks printed, I will snap some shots of the finished product and then make a new thread showing the entire project. Right now, I am posting a shot or two at a time here, and then in my Introductory thread.

Stan
10-07-2020, 02:18 PM   #15147
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Harvestore Silos are way more expensive than traditional concrete slab silos. When farmers become "prosperous", they buy a blue silo to show they have attained a higher economic status.

Regards

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 10-07-2020 at 02:42 PM.
10-07-2020, 02:26 PM   #15148
Pentaxian

Hi,

Yup. I grew up in a farm equipment dealership. So, all that kind of stuff is familiar to me. Most farms I knew were exactly the same way. Multiple tile silos and one or maybe two Harvestores.

It was all dairy country and they're all gone now. Chopped up into small horse farms and most of the silos either taken down or they fell down on their own. Big barns gone for smaller ones. Old houses gone for new ones. Sigh.

Stan
10-07-2020, 02:32 PM   #15149
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The "Family farm" is on the way out here too. Farms are becoming huge multi-million dollar businesses with 200, 400 or even more dairy cows (there's a 1400 cow enterprise on the South shore - Ferme Landrynoise). Milk is the main agricultural production in Quebec, we make world-famous cheese and yogurt (as well as Maple syrup - we're the number-one producer in the world, way in front of Ontario and Vermont).

Regards

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 10-08-2020 at 07:34 AM.
10-08-2020, 07:31 AM - 3 Likes   #15150
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

LAKE SIMON. The 645 A 35 mm f/3.5 lens isn't bad either.