Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2020, 02:52 PM - 14 Likes   #15181
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perhaps this shot will help demonstrate this effect further. This one is not medium format. In fact, it's a HUGE angle of view (nearly 180 degrees) achieved by shooting with two Nikon D800Es side-by-side, each with a 14mm lens on. The files from each camera were layered as usual for star trails, then stitched together to produce this insane view. Because it's so wide, it does show clearly what I mean.

The circle you can see to the right is due south (because we're in the southern hemisphere!); the left hand side of the shot is looking nearly north.

[IMG][/IMG]

10-14-2020, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #15182
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
Perhaps this shot will help demonstrate this effect further. This one is not medium format. In fact, it's a HUGE angle of view (nearly 180 degrees) achieved by shooting with two Nikon D800Es side-by-side, each with a 14mm lens on. The files from each camera were layered as usual for star trails, then stitched together to produce this insane view. Because it's so wide, it does show clearly what I mean.

The circle you can see to the right is due south (because we're in the southern hemisphere!); the left hand side of the shot is looking nearly north.

[/url][/IMG]
That's truly whack. And I don't even like star trails...also, there's something about it that is reminding me of Aboriginal art.

Last edited by texandrews; 10-14-2020 at 03:42 PM.
10-14-2020, 03:44 PM   #15183
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
A couple bridge panos. Views from the ends of parabolic arches

#1 for me...very nicely composed.
10-14-2020, 04:28 PM   #15184
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
#1 for me...very nicely composed.
Thanks again.

10-14-2020, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #15185
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

[/url][/IMG]
Amazing picture and explanation. Thanks Ed.
10-15-2020, 12:42 AM - 3 Likes   #15186
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Couple of macro pictures with the 6x7 55-100mm zoom on the 645z with a helicoid ring. The pictures are of the flower buds of a Hawaiian Hibiscus. These pictures are all handheld and uncropped with minimal exposure editing in ACR.

The DoF was reasonable from abt f8 and smaller at 100mm and from f16 and smaller at 55mm zoom.

The 55-100mm lens at 100mm zoom with the helicoid retracted. The flower bud is abt 34mm high. I quite like the ability to do a miniature composition and enough can be in focus or near in focus to make a pleasant picture.

The same flower bud, but with the lens at +/- 55mm and the helicoid extended. The magnification is at least 1x.

A less mature bud at 55mm and helicoid extended and the flower against the front lens element. I was surprised to see the lice flourishing on the flowers

Same setting as with the previous picture but this bud is abt 40mm high so this gives larger than 1x magnification, I guess around 1.2x. After I took the pictures I first sprayed the plant against the lice. The little black bug is less than 1mm in size. Looks like it could be the mother-ship laying eggs.

The helicoid is small and light and seems like a good alternative to use a mid-range zoom lens as a macro. Anybody else tried this before?

Last edited by TDvN57; 10-15-2020 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Fixing typos and errors
10-15-2020, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #15187
Pentaxian

[/url][/IMG]
Now repeat it with 12 - 24 Sigma lol

10-15-2020, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #15188
Pentaxian

[/url][/IMG]
That's a pretty wild image, Ed.
10-15-2020, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #15189
Pentaxian

Perhaps this shot will help demonstrate this effect further.
Wild. You should submit this to the flat earth people. But I'm sure they will dismiss it as a NASA fakery chip they put inside of every camera.
10-15-2020, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #15190
Pentaxian

[/url][/IMG]
Hi,

See what happens when you shoot two small format cameras at the same time? You generated a wormhole! Next thing we know, the Event Horizon will show up. Again!

Excellent illustration of the effect, though.

Stan
10-15-2020, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #15191
Pentaxian

Ed, that is amazing. brilliantly conceived and executed!!
10-15-2020, 08:45 AM   #15192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Running between Brooklyn and Mooney Mooney in NSW, these bridges serve roads from very different eras - though in fact are less than 30 years apart in age.
The older bridge (Peats Ferry Bridge) carries the Old Pacific Highway (B83) and dates back to 1945, when a ferry stopped operating. The modern bridge (Hawkesbury River Road Bridge) carries the Pacific Motorway (M1) and was opened in 1973

Getting to this position was slightly hairy. I had to scramble down a loose bank, covered in vegetation, all the time wondering if I as going to have a snake encounter (which are very active just now). Then I had to sit in the same conditions for a couple of hours in order to do the shot. Not just that, but there was literally nowhere level or regular, so I had to set the tripod up in a rather higgledy-piggledy way and hope it didn't topple into the deep, fast-flowing river (it didn't); I couldn't stand very close, in order to be ready to catch it, because then I would have been shaking the rocks on which it was perched, so had to position it and hope. Then there wasn't really anywhere I could sit without tensing leg/back muscles to keep myself steady; I didn't fancy negotiating that bank more often than necessary, so going back to the car while the camera did its work wasn't an option, and in any case, I wanted to stay and see it hadn't fallen into the river. So I stayed on those rocks, half standing and half sitting, counting the minutes. All in all, rather a trying experience!

645Z with 25mm f4 DA lens

[/url][/IMG]
Fantastic images. The bridges were worth all the pain and trouble. I also love the image made with 2 Nikon/14mm combos. Never thought about the patterns changing so much depending on where the camera is pointed. Can't wait to see what you shoot next.

Previously I asked if some wear and tear could be saved on the 645Z by substituting a K-1. You said the quality decrease would be too great. I wondered how much quality difference would show up on star trails? Looking at this incredible Nikon shot, it is easy to see that it's missing some of the Z quality. I expected this on landscapes, buildings, etc, but not on star trails. Fascinating.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla
10-15-2020, 10:58 PM - 6 Likes   #15193
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
That's truly whack. And I don't even like star trails...also, there's something about it that is reminding me of Aboriginal art.
QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
Amazing picture and explanation. Thanks Ed.
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Now repeat it with 12 - 24 Sigma lol
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
That's a pretty wild image, Ed.
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Wild. You should submit this to the flat earth people. But I'm sure they will dismiss it as a NASA fakery chip they put inside of every camera.
QuoteOriginally posted by wa2kqy Quote
Hi,

See what happens when you shoot two small format cameras at the same time? You generated a wormhole! Next thing we know, the Event Horizon will show up. Again!

Excellent illustration of the effect, though.

Stan
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Ed, that is amazing. brilliantly conceived and executed!!
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Fantastic images. The bridges were worth all the pain and trouble. I also love the image made with 2 Nikon/14mm combos. Never thought about the patterns changing so much depending on where the camera is pointed. Can't wait to see what you shoot next.

Previously I asked if some wear and tear could be saved on the 645Z by substituting a K-1. You said the quality decrease would be too great. I wondered how much quality difference would show up on star trails? Looking at this incredible Nikon shot, it is easy to see that it's missing some of the Z quality. I expected this on landscapes, buildings, etc, but not on star trails. Fascinating.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla

Thank you so much, everyone, for the kind and witty comments on the shot. I did this quite some years ago, but I haven't widely shown it before now because I wasn't meant to be there at night time ;-)

Tuco - I am sure the flat Earth people would simply say that it proves the Earth is orbiting the Sun, not that the Earth itself is round ;-)
Texandrews - I hadn't thought about the Aboriginal art comparison, but completely see what you mean. Thank you! The effect of the heritage must have affected the image without my conscious knowledge...
Paul - yes, a sequence with 12mm lenses would be interesting, thought perhaps this effect is already enough!
Barondla - If I wanted to do this with the 645Z, with the widest lens being only 25mm (equivalent roughly to a 19mm), I would need at least three of them side by side, and even then, I wouldn't get the vertical coverage. Oh well, maybe I will just shoot with 12 645Zs and cover the whole 360 scene! (If only!)

---------- Post added 10-16-20 at 05:02 PM ----------

645Z with 6x7 200mm f4 lens (final version)
Oh, and some judicious tidying up of the city skyline around the edges of the shot!

[IMG][/IMG]
10-16-2020, 03:05 AM   #15194
Pentaxian

Tuco - I am sure the flat Earth people would simply say that it proves the Earth is orbiting the Sun, not that the Earth itself is round ;-)
Have you seen the Flat Earth model? The Sun rotates around a flat disk at a fixed height. It's so close it causes night and day. So admitting the earth is orbiting the Sun and that your picture is the south pole would be a contradiction in their logic and model.

Last edited by tuco; 10-16-2020 at 03:10 AM.
10-16-2020, 05:41 AM   #15195
Pentaxian

Hi,

I gave up on the Flat Earth idea when Gemini flew high enough to shoot the Earth completely. And, then, there was several Apollo flights I received radio traffic from directly by pointing a beam antenna at the sky. I was into the ham radio beginning in 68. I also used a telescope to eyeball the Overboard Urine Dumps, as they made a glowing cloud. What Wally Schirra dubbed the Constellation Urion.

Too bad my interest in photography didn't come along until several years later or I'd probably have rigged a box camera to that telescope!

Stan